Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

An alternative draft idea

chall8

Noob
How would you feel if the Texans managed to swing a deal where they drafted AJ Hawk and Michael Huff in the first round, then for 2nd and 3rd rounds go best available OL/TE?

As much as I'd love to see Vince Young in a Texan's uniform (I am a Longhorn), I think a deal like this makes much more sense for this team. Of course assuming we move to a 4-3 we'd still need to pick up a DE somewhere. But a defense like this would be feared.

As for Bush, he is obviously a great talent but I'm just not a fan of taking a RB as #1 pick, and besides I like our RB corp right now. Morency looked very good when Davis was sidelined.

Additionally, from a PR standpoint I think if the Texans were able to pick up a Longhorn like Michael Huff or maybe David Thomas (TE) it would appease those who are passionate about taking Vince Young.

Opinions?

unfortunately its not possible unless we somehow managed a 3 way trade (impossible in the NFL)

the only team with 2 first round picks is the Broncos and their picks are too high to get Huff and Hawk.

the only way I could see this happening is if we traded down.. then traded the remainder of our first day(all 2nd and 3rds and maybe 4th) to move back into the top 10-15.

ya know.. its gonna take someone with more knowledge than me to explain that. Im not real sure.

Maybe because trades on draft day are so difficult to make within the limited time period? But there are rarely(never) any 3 way trades in FA either.. perhaps the salary cap just makes them too difficult to work.

Grid said:
ya know.. its gonna take someone with more knowledge than me to explain that. Im not real sure.

Maybe because trades on draft day are so difficult to make within the limited time period? But there are rarely(never) any 3 way trades in FA either.. perhaps the salary cap just makes them too difficult to work.

I am only giving my opinion on one reason why they do not happen, and that is the nature of the contracts. Most contracts are not similiar, unlike the NBA, due to performance bonuses, prorated signing bonuses and dead cap implications.

If you add Hawk and Huff you start looking like Baltimore in a hurry. It's an interesting approach, and one that will win games, BUT it ain't gonna be pretty. Huff is gonna be an NFL star, and I think Hawk is the surest deal in the draft (maybe D'Brickashaw is up there too). Huff doesn't quite have the nose for the ball that Ed Reed does, but he's got his speed and cover skills with some similar run-stopping/blitzing abilities to Roy Williams.I don't think Huff would satisfy Horn fans. They want Vince.

With all the value at the top of the draft (Bush, Leinart, Young). You might find a team that could give you a silly enough package (future picks) to be able to parlay into a mid first round pick in addition to the early first rounder you would receive.

A possibility (remote) could be to send Carr for Oakland's #1 (6th pick) if Pat Hill got the job. They have the receivers and OL in place, maybe they would be just a QB away from a dominant passing game. If there's anybody that would give up a king's ransom for Carr, it would be his old Fresno coach. It's also possible that Hawk could slip to #6 if the Jets draft a QB (Cutler's a reach) or Green Bay takes the DE Williams. I don't think there is anyway Ferguson would slip to #6. Obviously, trading Carr means drafting Young... but if you could get a high #1 for Carr, the blow of losing out on Bush wouldn't be so bad. Things could get interesting with Collins getting old and seemingly on his way out. This talk will definitely heat up if Pat Hill gets that job, but nobody trades a #1 (Faulk went for a 2nd and 5th rounder).

Back