Amobi Okoye

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texan JBZ, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Texan JBZ

Texan JBZ Da Sip's Finest

I just got finished watching the replay of the game on NFL Network. I focused primarily on the o-line and d-line to see what kind of problems the team was having stopping the run and running the ball. The one thing that stood out to me was how bad Amobi Okoye played. I mean, he flat out stunk. He had no burst off the ball, wasn't strong at the point of attack, was blown off the line of scrimmage several times, played too high, and showed absolutely no penetration. No motor at all!

I know most Texan fans have been spewing their venom towards Jacoby and Jacques, but Amobi should be thrown into the fray with them. He isn't playing good at all right now. After watching film from this game, I bet that Jethro and Richard Smith are all over him for his lack of effort. He sucked! Uugghhh:headhurts:

On the brighter side, Duane Brown looked absolutely outstanding. His skill set is awesome. He run blocks better than most are probably paying attention to. He handled the stunts and speed rushes he faced with ease in pass protection. Butler is looking really, really good too. The main problem I saw in the running game, especially early on, was that the line was giving up too much penetration, or the back simply was making the wrong cut. Sedrick Ellis had his way inside, which is a problem the team has to fix considering who we play in our division.

Overall solid game by the team as a whole. Diles continues to impress with his play. Walter..nuff said. Demps played good in run support. Slaton is looking like a steal. Really like H. Williams and Simmons effort. They are playing really hard.

And finally, if there's any doubt to it, Schaub quelled all his naysayers. He is the starting QB and for good reasons. BRING ON THE COWPATTIES! :texflag:

Kaiser Toro likes this.
  2. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

This reminds me of the infamous Mario Williams thread last pre-season. "Mario Williams 0 0 0 0 0 0".

3. Texan JBZ

Watch the game again J-Russ. I want Amobi to a breakout season ala Mario. I'll say this-I never saw Mario not playing hard despite what others may have said about him. Amobi has not been playing hard these first two games.

4. Polo

Polo Guest

I didn't really pay attention to Amobi so I can't really comment on his play...

BUT...I doubt it's as bad as implied here...

I think Kubiak was quoted as saying Mario, Amobi and ND played the best as far as applying pressure...

5. Polo

Polo Guest

6. Texan JBZ

I know Kubes is the coach, but from my observation of him on every play I watched (and I watched him on every defensive play), he stunk it up. Go and watch the game again for yourself. I stand firm on my statement of what I saw.

7. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

You don't know what Amobi was asked to do in any of those plays though. He may have been asked to take up defenders so Mario could bust through the line. He may have been asked to stunt or drop back into coverage or any number of things.

Just because you didn't see him bust through and sack Brees doesn't mean he didn't do exactly what the coaches wanted.

8. Texan JBZ

Look people, I played MLB for an SEC program and for one of the top programs in D-1AA (they are now a D-1 program). I came out of high school playing MLB in a 3-4 system. I played in a 3-3-5 system at one college and a 4-3 Multiple at the other. I am very well-versed in defensive fronts, alignments, stunts, coverages, etc., because I had to be. I look at things different from the average football fan. I know on certain loop stunts that Amobi had outside contain that kept him from going after the QB. I saw that. They ran that stunt with him and Mario a couple of times during the game.

But, I also watched his pad level, his burst off the line, his strength at the point of attack when the Saints ran the ball at him. It was not good. He was consistently pushed off the ball and was a non-factor. I saw at least three times when they weren't running a stunt and Amobi had one man blocking him on pass protection. His man wore him out every time. I am not claiming to be an expert, but I know my stuff when it comes to football.

9. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Actually I thought it was a good post from the top, and thanks for posting the information to detail. I didn't watch Okoye much in the last game, so thanks for passing it on. I'm not to worried about Okoye though. I think that he'll be just fine once the season starts.

Didn't pay much attention to Brown either, and it's good to hear that he played really well.

And I totally agree with you on Shaub. He looked fantastic!

10. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I watched the original game, the replay from channel 13, and the NFL replay.
    And I did watch the line, but I have yet to review each play, so I really can't grade the linemen individually.

Overall, I agree that Okoye did not have a good game.
    He had a few good moments and a few bad moments.

Except for Mario, none of the linemen caught my attention.

I also agree that this is not the time to worry about our starting D-line.

Even as I was very eager to find out whether a guy like Colvin had regained his quickness and his burst (I have not seen that. He looked a bit rusty), I have to remind myself that it's still too early.
    Guys need time to round into playing shape. And that's what the pre-season is for.

11. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

He said it was "amobi's best effort of the pre-season"... not really a ringing endorsement when there's only been 2 games and he only played 1 quarter in the first game.

12. wolf123

wolf123 All Pro

People said the same thing about Mario even though kubiak kept telling people that he was playing well. Fans only react when they see huge sacks.

13. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

i remember specifically making a post similar to that one last year. something like "mario just doesn't seem explosive... i don't know...." lets hope that things continue to follow suit. man, i love it when i'm wrong.

14. Polo

Polo Guest

Read into it how you may...

15. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

1. Okoye had a very solid although not spectacular rookie year.
    2. Kubes has indicated that Okoye had the best off-season of anyone on the team. To me that means the work ethic is there.
    3. Items 1 & 2 should put us in a position to trust that Okoye will continue to progress and improve, unless and until something more than a couple of questionable preseason games causes us to doubt that.

Granted, Kubes has shown a clear desire to avoid throwing players under the bus, and I believe that's the absolute best position to have. But he's also shown that when he comes out and says positive things on an unsolicited basis (as in point #2), he's been pretty much spot-on with those comments.

16. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Not reading into anything. He simply said that of the 2 pre-season games, Amobi was better in the second than in the first... That's not a ringing endorsement, especially since he didn't make any plays in either game.

17. hadaad

hadaad All Pro

If it's just the preseason, I'm sure he'll round out when the games count. If it's a down-time, I have faith that he'll turn it around.

Go AMOBI!

18. Polo

Polo Guest

As I said read into it how you may...

Context clues do matter...

From the link posted earlier:

He's listing players he thought played well....

Read into it how you want...

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think it was totally different with Mario. You could see everything they talked about with Mario, in the preseason, and his whole rookie year. You could see his strength, you could see his burst, you could see his speed, you could see his effort, you could see his lack of technique.

IT was all there, and it was evident.

I don't think the game was ever too fast for Mario, a little over his head maybe.

Not hyping Okoye, or knocking him, just saying it's not the same.

20. Mailman

Mailman Pwned by Hakeem

I joined the 21st century last week and got a DVR. I have the game recorded so I can watch again and pay closer attention to individual players, but from what I saw when I watched the D line was a solid effort by the Saints offensive line. Mario was the only one getting any penetration. I think Amobi was just getting stoned by a strong interior.

With that line and the weapons Brees has around him, the Saints offense could be exceptional this season.