Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Amobi Okoye interview tomorrow...

Thanks Gang!! I appreciate you guys giving me questions! It was an awesome interview! Very Good Guy!

I want to know if it's in his contract that he has to wear those shoes with the little wheels on the bottom of them for games and if so is there any wiggle room for him to get out of that. I think his game would improve greatly if he could resolve that.

Inside Amobi Okoye's locker you'll find these...
rollershoes_2004_base.jpg

This brings up something I've been wondering about... does this mean that there are no trades at all during the draft or that there can be trades using only draft choices?
Only draft choices can be traded. And a team can't trade a player after he's been drafted, ala Eli Manning for Phillip Rivers in 2004.

Future picks in subsequent drafts can be traded. But it's pretty risky to accept those trades considering that the future of the draft is up in the air without a CBA.

Football has taken Jim Barnes around the globe, but his most recent expedition proved to be an eye-opening experience for the former Augustana coach.

Barnes was part of a group that included NFL players Amobi Okoye and Connor Barwin of Houston, Frank Okam of Tampa Bay and James Ihedigbo of the New York Jets that spent 11 days in mid-March introducing American football in Nigeria.

Led by representatives of the International Foundation of American Football, USA Football and the Amobi Okoye Foundation, the group worked with coaches and youth players in the country as part of a contributing initiative to establish the sport of American football on the African continent.
LINK

OkOye globe trotting again this offseason.

I cant wait until this slacker is cut/traded.

It worries me that Barwin was also on the trip. He better hope he's fully rehabbed.

Doesn't suprise me that Okam was on the trip as well.

It worries me that Barwin was also on the trip. He better hope he's fully rehabbed.

I hate to break it to you, but life is a whole lot bigger than football. Some people use their work to help them fight cancer, juvenile diabetes, veterans of wars, whatever...to chastise a man for using a high profile position to give back to a cause that's important to him is unfair. Do you live and breathe your job 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? Doubtful.

I can't believe people actually ***** about Amobi or any other player off doing something altruistic. Every player goes on vacations in the off-season. We just don't hear about them because they aren't newsworthy while they are off snorkeling or whatever. It's ridiculous to call Amobi a slacker because he is off doing something charitable instead of getting a massage in Aspen.

I hate to break it to you, but life is a whole lot bigger than football. Some people use their work to help them fight cancer, juvenile diabetes, veterans of wars, whatever...to chastise a man for using a high profile position to give back to a cause that's important to him is unfair. Do you live and breathe your job 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? Doubtful.
+1
I can't believe people actually ***** about Amobi or any other player off doing something altruistic. Every player goes on vacations in the off-season. We just don't hear about them because they aren't newsworthy while they are off snorkeling or whatever. It's ridiculous to call Amobi a slacker because he is off doing something charitable instead of getting a massage in Aspen.

MSR.

Seriously. I think that if AO were a doctor in his spare time and he found a cure for AIDS in the offseaon there are a certain number of people on this board that would complain that he was not dedicated enough.

Mike

+1

MSR.

Seriously. I think that if AO were a doctor in his spare time and he found a cure for AIDS in the offseaon there are a certain number of people on this board that would complain that he was not dedicated enough.

Mike

Well if he could cure AIDS then he should be able to learn how to play the defensive tackle position...

:kitten:

Why do you consistently keep getting your butt kicked at the LOS?

Are you a Nigerian 23?

Is saving Nigeria more important to you than mastering your craft as an NFL player?

??? For his sake of being a rational human being, I sure as hell hope he feels helping Nigeria is more important than football.

I don't really understand the criticism here. What Amobi does in Nigeria has absolutely nothing to do with his success or lack of on the football field.

Agreed and well said.

I don't really understand the criticism here. What Amobi does in Nigeria has absolutely nothing to do with his success or lack of on the football field.

I could be wrong but I think the point some people are trying to make is that he should be spending more time studying film and improving his technique and he should postpone his humanitarian efforts until he's achieved a certain minimal amount of proficiency and success at being a DT (or possibly DE in the new defense.) Football might not be the most important thing in the world but if it's your job, you should devote some time to improving your ability to play it.

Personally, I don't have much feeling one way or another. I'm glad that he's doing stuff to help other people. I wish he had turned out to be as good as his draft position. I'm just not sure that his lack of production is necessarily due to him not working hard enough.

To criticize anyone for donating time and resources to help children during the off-season is plain wrong. First, it's being rather presumptious to assume that he's not working out or taking in film or any of those things. Second, He could be out clubbing, smoking weed and carrying guns like a lot of other jackasses out there.

I would much rather some be dedicated to a cause then up to no good.

Amobi Okoye Foundation -Providing Hope to Kids and Communities

I think people are going to hate on Amobi regardless of how he spends his offseason. If it was Andre Johnson who had a charity foundation and he stated he spent the entire offseason working on that and had no time to keep him self in shape which caused him to gain 60 pounds the people criticizing AO would laud AJ as the next Mother Teresa

Why do you get paid millions of $$$$ to play a physical game like football when it's obvious you have a low pain tolerance?

Do you think you would be better suited for the bench in Cleveland?

Right, steelbtexan. My quote was too short to explain my thought on Amobi's interview. I thought on Amobi's interview is "are you kidding me you may be better suited for DE instead of DT in 3-4 scheme?" Just think why you'd been interview by media? Because, you may not have a position in 3-4 scheme and interested to know what is your plan for the future.

Helping people in Nigeria or domestic is a good thing. However, when you were drafted in high 1st round. Your team and fans are expecting more than just a starter material guy. We expect player to work hard to become a dominant player. I can understand if this was AJ caliber of player doing a similar kind of thing without himself getting out of football shape in off season. Now for Amobi, he should put his priority on football first and work hard until he can convince to the team and fans that he was worth the pick. If I was drafted that high in the 1st rd, this is what I would do.

Anyway, helping people is a good thing and nothing against that. It's more of priority issue to me. Amobi may see things differently than how I see things which is only natural as us human being are uniquely different in our own way. Amobi is a very smart kid and may be he already foresee himself doing something else besides football like Politics, MD, Head of football operation in Africa or whatever.

As Texans' fan, I question his priority setting of things but that is just my opinion.

Go Texans!!!

Last edited:
I think people are going to hate on Amobi regardless of how he spends his offseason. If it was Andre Johnson who had a charity foundation and he stated he spent the entire offseason working on that and had no time to keep him self in shape which caused him to gain 60 pounds the people criticizing AO would laud AJ as the next Mother Teresa

AJ has been the best WR in the league for the past 4 years. He's earned a little slack.

I hope Amobi will focus on his NFL career. I've been in Sapele, Nigeria since mid February and there's just not much hope of saving this place. Set achievable goals and build from there.

AJ has been the best WR in the league for the past 4 years. He's earned a little slack.

You don't have to prove that you're the best in the business before you can help out your fellow country men. The criticism is downright stupid and foolish. There's plenty and I mean PLENTY of other stuff to bag on Amobi about, the work he does in Nigeria is not one of them. He should be applauded for the work he does over there.

LOL, I bet the people criticizing him have never even been to his foundation's website and have no clue about the work he does over there.

http://www.amobiokoyefoundation.org/cate/

There it is, check it out.

You don't have to prove that you're the best in the business before you can help out your fellow country men. The criticism is downright stupid and foolish. There's plenty and I mean PLENTY of other stuff to bag on Amobi about, the work he does in Nigeria is not one of them. He should be applauded for the work he does over there.

LOL, I bet the people criticizing him have never even been to his foundation's website and have no clue about the work he does over there.

http://www.amobiokoyefoundation.org/cate/

There it is, check it out.
Okoye may deserve more criticism than you think for his work in Nigeria. I'm IN Nigeria right now. This place is a shithole from any point of view. Check out my facebook pics under Dennis McCleney.
I deal with every day Nigeria every single day. There is no hope for this country for a long, long time. The people are too comfortable in what we call misery don't understand the fuss. If you haven't visited a true 3rd world country, you can't imagine how these people live day to day.
If Okoye is as serious as some think, raising Nigeria rom the late iron age night be his reason for living. MOST Nigerians are living in the beginnings of the iron age, FWIW.

Okoye may deserve more criticism than you think for his work in Nigeria. I'm IN Nigeria right now. This place is a shithole from any point of view.

So how does Amobi deserve criticism for that? The fact that it's such a desperate situation proves that the need for help is that much more important and urgent. Football is just a game. Every smile that he brings over there is more important than any sack he gets over here. What good is it going to do if people just wash their hands clean of the situation, because it seems hopeless?

Check out my facebook pics under Dennis McCleney.
I deal with every day Nigeria every single day. There is no hope for this country for a long, long time. The people are too comfortable in what we call misery don't understand the fuss. If you haven't visited a true 3rd world country, you can't imagine how these people live day to day.

I've been to 3rd world countries and have talked to people like that, their resolve to survive and flourish is great. When I saw what they had to live with and deal with, it became clear to me how much we take for granted in this country.

If Amobi wasn't over there he'd most likely be involved with some other camp (some players attend as many as 6 camps in a offseason) or be wasting his time in some other exotic place. Point is, his trip to Nigeria has absolutely nothing to do with his production as a Texan or as a NFL player. It's unfair to criticize his work over there or his devotion to football...especially when he's trying to build facilities to teach the game of football to the people over there.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I think the point some people are trying to make is that he should be spending more time studying film and improving his technique and he should postpone his humanitarian efforts until he's achieved a certain minimal amount of proficiency and success at being a DT (or possibly DE in the new defense.) Football might not be the most important thing in the world but if it's your job, you should devote some time to improving your ability to play it.

I think people who feel that way are misguided in so many ways.

Not only is his humanitarian work more important than what he does on the football field, but doing humanitarian work as your "vacation" should not be a deterrent to his success.

So many times we see "dumb jocks" that just take without giving anything back and we want to complain about a guy doing good work.

If Amobi never becomes a success on the field all of that blame should go towards the organization. Sure players have to want it, but if Amobi doesn't have the talent or the drive then or evaluators should have spotted that.

ok Amobi helping africa and going to college talk blah blah blah im getting sick of it JUst trade his ass

So how does Amobi deserve criticism for that? The fact that it's such a desperate situation proves that the need for help is that much more important and urgent. Football is just a game. Every smile that he brings over there is more important than any sack he gets over here. What good is it going to do if people just wash their hands clean of the situation, because it seems hopeless?

I've been to 3rd world countries and have talked to people like that, their resolve to survive and flourish is great. When I saw what they had to live with and deal with, it became clear to me how much we take for granted in this country.

If Amobi wasn't over there he'd most likely be involved with some other camp (some players attend as many as 6 camps in a offseason) or be wasting his time in some other exotic place. Point is, his trip to Nigeria has absolutely nothing to do with his production as a Texan or as a NFL player. It's unfair to criticize his work over there or his devotion to football...especially when he's trying to build facilities to teach the game of football to the people over there.
I've gotten off topic with all my stuff. I was like that when I 1st got here, but they've worn me down.

Back