Amobi Okoye - Interesting.

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by JAXwithanX, Feb 1, 2007.

1. JAXwithanX

JAXwithanX Veteran

Is it just me....or does anyone else have the slightest inclination to want to drop down a few spots and pick up Okoye. Part of it is because I don't think we are going to find the immediate impact player we particularly need at 8. The other part is because seriously....the kid is 19 years old. For Christ's sake he may not even be done physically maturing by 2 years. I'm not saying it's the wisest thing to do....or that it is even a thought of the Texans' FO. Just wondering if anyone else had potentially thought it would be....well interesting.

If your immediate reaction is that I'm just stupid....well save my from your own thoughts cause I specifically said it was just a wavering thought. Regardless I think you might be more apt to be interested in the idea after the combine.

2. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I think you're dumb. Lol only kidding. In my opinion if Adrian Peterson falls to us we need to take him. If not, I'm hoping we trade down. Trading down will be tough for us to do because of the teams immediately behind us..I don't see any of them wanting to jump up. i wouldn't want to move down to past around 15 so that leaves me with only a 7 team cushion. I feel Brady Quinn could fall to us and maybe some team would want to trade up for him..I'm not too sure about any other players except possibly Branch Anderson or Adams? i dont really know.

My ideal situation if AP wasn't available would be to move down a few spots and pick up one of the safeties. i go back and forth between landry and nelson almost everyday but think about our leader by position on defense if this were to happen.

Leader:
    D-line-Mario Williams
    Linebackers-Demeco Ryans
    Cornerbacks-Dunta Robinson
    Safeties- Laron Landry

those are 4 young guys and all leaders for their respective position...its a foundation for an incredible defense. 8 might be too high for a safety...depending whose left on the board but i would love this.

3. Ole Miss Texan

but to answer you about okoye. he's awesome. he could be picked before us. or we could at 8 i'd be fine. or trade down and still get him i'd be thrilled.

4. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

How many offers did Texans get to trade down last year when the players were much more valuable? I do not see a trade down offer that Houston will accept. Having said that, if Thomas nor AP is at #8, I hope we do get an offer. I think first round value drops immensely after 10th pick or so.

5. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

the value drops after the 8th pick, hence the Texans should come out with someone good if they just make the pick :winky:

6. JAXwithanX

JAXwithanX Veteran

Oh yeah....if AP was there at 8....I'd be all over him. But again here are my thoughts on that from a seperate thread -

So without the possibility of AP in my eyes....well....i just think the dude is goin to be great. Straight up....I believe Okoye will be dominate and perfect for our D and Mario. We need to look at building up that D more and more in my eyes. Because you can always compete with a great D and a shaky QB situation. You can't compete with a below average D unless you have ridiculous offensive fire power....and without a clear cut QB or RB....i wouldn't put us in that boat exactly. So go with what your closer to....

I would love a safety like Landry as well....but I don't feel like he warrants the 8th pick as of right now. Which is why I would love Russell or Johnson to fall....because someone will be dying to have one of them. But that is about as likely as AP falling to us so doesn't really matter.

7. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

IF Anderson, Adams and Peterson are off the board at 8 then there is a good chance Quinn or Russell will be there improving the Texans chance to move down and select Okoye. However I think there is a good chance Washington could take Okoye because they are absent a true starter in their interior line.

8. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I would love for us to drop down a few spots and pick up Okoye. The problem is I don't think he will be there much past #10, and he maybe gone before we pick at #8. His stock is rising fast since the Sr. Bowl, and if he has a great Combine, he could jump ahead of Branch as the best rated DT.

I guess the worst case scenario would be if AP, Thomas, Russell, Okoye, Johnson, Adams, and Branch are gone by the time we pick and nobody wants to trade up for Quinn. I still wouldn't pick him. Probably go with Levi or one of the DB's even though it would probably be a reach. JMHO!

9. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Last years Draft was one of the best in years with atleast 9 premier or pure blue-chippers: Williams, Bush, DBrick, Hawk, V.Davis, Ngata, and the 3 top QBs. I don't see this Draft as having that kind of talent, atleast not at this point ? I dunno, but I'm unwilling to say there's 8 blue-chip prospects in '07,
    meaning the eighth pick won't necessarily yield a top-of-the-line player.
    This may be a Draft where there are half dozen outstanding prospects followed by relative mediocrity for the rest of the top half of the first round ?
    Which players are considered to be real blue-chippers. Is there a DLineman
    thats rated as high as Mario was ? A back rated with Bush ? A LB rated with
    Hawk ? A TE rated with V. Davis. A QB who would be in the 2006 class ?
    I say no to all of those questions, unless we learn different between now and
    the last weekend of April.

10. Ole Miss Texan

Great post. The only player I see being better than last years is Calvin Johnson. Joe Thomas is up there with D'Brick. After that I'm not so sure, I think I'd rather have Landry/Nelson for my safety.

11. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

last years draft was the best ever. nothing compares to that however a case can be made that the top 8 picks will be elite if not now in the future when it counts- (now don't get your panties in a twist I'm not saying they all equal each other just that they compare)

JaMarcus Russell = VY

Brady Quinn = Leinart

Adrian Peterson = Bush

Joe Thomas = D'Brickashaw

Jamaal Anderson = Mario Williams (well not quite)

Alan Branch = Haloti Ngata

Calvin Johnson = Vernon Davis

LaRon Landry = Michael Huff

and I didnt even use Levi Brown or Amobi Okoye :heh:

12. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Yes they are all comparable but in almost every case last year's guy is more talented than this year's guy.

I'll give you Peterson over Bush, Branch over Ngata, and Johnson over Davis (I'm not even sure about this last one).

Nobody else is an upgrade.

13. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

I would rather we take Jammal Anderson if the situation you described above takes place, but Im still hoping for AP.

14. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Good post, to expand on that let's look at some of the 1st day picks from last year's draft vs. this years prospects to kind of gauge the talent/depth of this year's crop:

QB
    2006: Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, Kellen Clemens, Tarvaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst, Brodie Croyle
    2007: Brady Quinn, JaMarcus Russell, Troy Smith, Drew Stanton, Trent Edwards, Kevin Kolb

Talent: 2006
    Depth: maybe even
    Overall Advantage: 2006

RB
    2006: Reggie Bush, Laurence Maroney, DeAngelo Williams, Joseph Addai, LenDale White, Maurice Drew, Jerious Norwood (and Leon Washington in the 4th)
    2007: Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Michael Bush, Tony Hunt, Kenny Irons

Talent: easily 2006
    Depth: 2006
    Overall Advantage: definitely 2006

WR
    2006: Santonio Holmes, Chad Jackson, Sinorice Moss, Greg Jennings, Derek Hagan, Travis Wilson, Brandon Williams, Maurice Stovall (plus Brandon Marshall in the 4th and Marques Colston in the 7th)
    2007: Calvin Johnson, Dwayne Jarrett, Sidney Rice, Ted Ginn, Dwayne Bowe, Robert Meachem, Anthony Gonzalez, Craig Davis

Talent: easily 2007
    Depth: 2007
    Overall Advantage: definitely 2007

TE
    2006: Vernon Davis, Marcedes Lewis, Anthony Fasano, Tony Scheffler, Leonard Pope, David Thomas (Owen Daniels in the 4th)
    2007: Zach Miller, Greg Olsen, Scott Chandler, Ben Patrick, Joe Newton

OT
    2006: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Winston Justice, Daryn Colledge, Marcus McNeill, Andrew Whitworth, Jeremy Trueblood, Charles Spencer, Eric Winston, Rashad Butler (Jahri Evans in the 4th)
    2007: Joe Thomas, Levi Brown, Joe Staley, Tony Ugoh, Arron Sears, Ryan Harris

Depth: definitely 2006

OG/C
    2006: Davin Joseph, Nick Mangold, Deuce Lutui, Chris Chester, Ryan Cook, Paul McQuistan, Jason Spitz (Max Jean-Gilles in the 4th)
    2007: Justin Blalock, Ben Grubbs, Josh Beekman, Ryan Kalil, Doug Datish

Talent: close but probably 2006 edges out this group

DE
    2006: Mario Williams, Kamerion Wimbley (DE in college), Tamba Hali, Mathias Kiwanuka, Darryl Tapp, Chris Gocong, Frostee Rucker, Jason Hatcher (Elvis Dumervil in the 4th and Mark Anderson in the 5th
    2007: Jamaal Anderson, Gaines Adams, Adam Carriker, Quentin Moses, Victor Abiamiri, Charles Johnson, Jarvis Moss, LaMarr Woodley, Anthony Spencer, Ikaika Alama-Francis, Dan Bazuin

Talent: probably have to give the edge to 2007
    Overall Advantage: 2007

DT
    2006: Haloti Ngata, Brodrick Bunkley, John McCargo, Claude Wroten, Dusty Dvoracek (Barry Cofield in the 4th)
    2007: Alan Branch, Amobi Okoye, Quinn Pitcock, DeMarcus Tyler, Justin Harrell, Brandon Mebane, Kareem Brown, Ryan McBean

Talent: slight edge to 2007

OLB
    2006: AJ Hawk, Ernie Sims, Chad Greenway, Bobby Carpenter, Manny Lawson, DeMeco Ryans (drafted as OLB), Rocky McIntosh, Thomas Howard, Jon Alston, Clint Ingram, James Anderson
    2007: Paul Posluszny, Lawrence Timmons, Jon Beason, Earl Everett, Rufus Alexander, Tony Taylor

Talent: easily 2006
    Overall Advantage: easily 2006

ILB
    2006: D'Qwell Jackson, Abdul Hodge, Anthony Schlegel, Freddie Keiaho, Gerris Wilkinson
    2007: Patrick Willis, Buster Davis, David Harris, HB Blades, Brandon Siler, Anthony Waters, Jon Abbate

Talent: 2007

CB
    2006: Tye Hill, Antonio Cromartie, Johnathan Joseph, Kelly Jennings, Jimmy Williams, Devin Hester, Cedric Griffin, Richard Marshall, Tim Jennings, Ashton Youboty, David Pittman
    2007: Leon Hall, Darelle Revis, Chris Houston, Marcus McCauley, Aaron Ross, Daymeion Hughes, Eric Wright, Fred Bennett, Josh Wilson, Tarell Brown, Tanard Jackson, Jonathan Wade

Talent: arguable but I'll give a slight edge to 2006
    Depth: probably 2007
    Overall Advantage: close, maybe slight overall edge to 2007

S
    2006: Michael Huff, Donte Whitner, Jason Allen, Daniel Bullocks, Roman Harper, Danieal Manning, Bernard Pollard, Eric Smith, Anthony Smith (Ko Simpson in the 4th, Dawan Landry in the 5th, Antoine Bethea in the 6th)
    2007: LaRon Landry, Brandon Meriweather, Reggie Nelson, Michael Griffin, Eric Weddle, Aaron Rouse, Josh Gattis, Michael Johnson

Talent: edge in top end talent goes slightly to 2007
    Overall Advantage: probably slight edge to 2006

bah007 and Ole Miss Texan like this.
  15. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I knew I forgot one of the "Top Dogs" in the draft. Thanks for reminding me (it's Hell Getting Old), and yes I would pick Anderson over Quinn too. I just hope if it falls that way that the Texans pick whoever is there besides Quinn. Whether it's Anderson, Okoye, AP, etc..... JMHO!

16. Ole Miss Texan

Great post Morknolle. If i knew how to give rep I would.

17. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

the thing about okoye is that there hasn't been a player like him before...with his age he still has some growing to do at 19 he might not be done growing...at the senior bowl he weighed in at like 285lbs...personally i'd like to see him closer to 295lbs...but he reminds me of the more athletic DT's...guys like tommie harris and rodrick bunkley...guys who are simply going to impress you with their work outs...i know from footballsfuture website that the texans did interview him at the senior bowl...he was definetly one of the more active and dominant players at the bowl game...simply a rare talent

as for the texans and him...i think if we get to the 8th pick and adrian peterson is gone...thomas is gone...russell is gone...and no one will give us good value in a trade down picking him would not be a bad choice...he would fill a need...help improve this defense...but like harris and brunkley guys would have to be patient with him...DT's, OL, and DE's usually do not make an impact their rookie year...with tommie (probably the most successful in the past 4 years) it took him two years to really settle in...i think okoye could produce similiar numbers as tommie but time will only tell

18. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Do you see the "Scale" Icon in the top right hand corner in the red border of every post, you click that icon on the post you want to dish out rep on and bam, there you go :ok:

19. Ole Miss Texan

thanks "carr :bomb: "

20. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

No prob :bubble:

BTW seeing how we no longer have Neg Rep, the scale icon should be done away with and it should just be a "thumbs up", that may do away with confusion.

SLO Texan likes this.