Amobi comes to play

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by valleytexfan, Dec 14, 2008.

1. valleytexfan

valleytexfan Hall of Fame

Shout out to Amobi for that great stop on the half of "lard and tard" lol. D was solid in spurts today

2. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

surely you mean they were great today and only beaten in spurts

the d-line as a whole really played well. everyone made plays- deljuan and amobi foremost but tj, weaver, bulman and mario all made important plays. it wasnt just the mario show for a change

3. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I have no idea what you guys were looking at where Amobi Okoye was concerned. He was being pushed around consistently all day and when he came out and Robinson went in the interior of the line just stiffened up like nobody's business. I think Robinson should be easily starting ahead of Amobi and that if we don't see Okoye bounce back from this "sophmore slump" he's in then will be seriously talking about Okoye busting ala TJ and Babin.

Yes he had one great tackle today. The rest of the afternoon he was being pushed around like a shopping cart. If he doesn't get what he had early last season back I'm going to stop calling him "The Force" and start going with "The Farce" because he's not playing well at all.

Texan Asylum likes this.
  4. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6162338.html

5. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Well that's great if there's a logical explanation for his play the past few weeks. Kubiak says there: "Kubiak said. “We’re expecting him to be a big part of us playing better these last three weeks.” and hopefully since that didn't happen this week he'll do better in the last two.

Me, I'd rest him and let Robinson start the rest of the way out. If your first round draft pick is hampered by a high ankle sprain and clearly not playing as well as your undrafted free agent why keep running him out there?

6. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

He was in the QBs face several times, and forced bad throws. One forced the int, and another was on 3rd down and forced a punt.

It's nice to see him show up for a change, but that should be an ordinary to bad game for a guy with his talent.

7. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I thought Okoye was awful early in the game and only flashed his ability in a couple of plays in the entire game. When Robinson came in he was disruptive from his first play and drew eventual double teams. Okoye didn't do much but he did have a pressure and a big play...otherwise he was pushed all over the place.

8. spurstexanstros

spurstexanstros Texans Rising

It was about fraking time Amobi made a meaningful play

9. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Robinson looks like what we thought Travis Johnson was going to be, a guy who shows both the abiloty to hold the point and be disriptive. He should getting more snaps than any other DT at the moment.

10. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Robinson was great!

Two significant plays by Amobi is something to be encouraged by though. Need to see more of it but he certainly flashed his ability today.

11. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Because of seating situation, I met Amobi's family last season. Talked to them after the game today and they said he is finally beginning to feel like he can play again. I am going to chalk this season up to a Mario rookie season injury kind of deal. He has toughed out a high ankle sprain without quitting. Now maybe the Texans should have shut him down like maybe they should have shut Mario down.

I want to see production next year though.

12. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

If we don't get it from him maybe we will get it from Deljuan. Either way I can see progress being made in that spot next season and who knows what could happen in FA and the draft.

13. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

Great point. I did notice on the big play by Amobi to stop White in the backfield for a loss that he was between Mario & Robinson. The Titans double teamed Robinson with the C & RG, and tried to have the LG playing opposite Okoye cheat a little & help with Mario too. Okoye deserves the credit for making the play, but part of the reason he was able to make that play was the attention that Mario & Robinson were receiving.

I think we're all expecting to see some more production from Okoye next year. He'll certainly have help alongside him with Mario drawing double teams & special attention from opposing teams.

14. valleytexfan

valleytexfan Hall of Fame

I agree, Amobi has been disappointing thus far, just wanted to point out that big run stuff...hopefully it's a prelude of things to come.

15. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

The other part of the reason, was he EXPLODED off the ball. The kid
    has talent, and a high-ankle sprain. Kubiak/Smith are great evaluators
    of talent, so I believe Coach when he says Amobi will be fine.

16. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

My thoughts on Amobi are that before today, I don't think I've heard Amobi's name called all season. Then I read the article today about how he's been nagged all along by a high ankle sprain. Then, in the game today, I hear his name called a couple of times.

Anxious to see if his name will continue to get called in the next couple of games.

17. Texan JBZ

Texan JBZ Da Sip's Finest

Just glad to finally see him make a few significant plays in a game. Thank you Amobi for finally being semi-productive in a game.

18. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

It was nice to hear his name called on a big play.:d:

19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Do you think he can be converted to to DE? He could shed 30 pounds and be even faster. It is something when DelJuan is beating out Okoye and TJ.

20. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

You know, he's so damn young that I can't help expecting him to get better in 2009. The whole thing with Okoye is "upside" and I think that's still in effect. He's a total puppy by NFL standards and he needs strength and weight as well as experience. 2009 is a big year for Okoye. He should start really stepping up and being a force or he'll be TJ2 by the end of the year (presuming there's no injury problem to cloud the issue).

TJ is just a slug. He's depth and not much more. I don't even know if I'd call him quality depth considering Rick Smith has been able to find an almost endless supply of undrafted and street free agents who out play him at almost every turn.

DelJuan Robinson is a bona fide find. That guy is starting for me next week if I'm Kubiak.