Am I the only one that feels somewhat insulted today by the franchise?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HTown2ATX, Dec 30, 2010.

1. HTown2ATX

HTown2ATX TexansMetalhead

I know that there are a lot of different threads that cover one part or another of what I am about to say, but I feel this is a little more all encompassing and specific so bare with me;

Yesterday Bum Phillips said (paraphrase) that gary Kubiak is great, you couldn't find anyone better, etc.. while at Texans practice. I find it a little hard to swallow that he miraculously showed up now from Gollead (spelling) where he lives to give a ringing endosement of Kubiak.

I find it shameful that, IMO mind you/speculation, that it appears the McNair PR group got a Houston legend to do this now when all signs point to Kubiak bafflingly being retained. I still love Bum and do not hold this against him.

I feel that my intelligence was insulted by this...am I the only one? Am I taking this the wrong way, you think this is all just coincidence?

Also, how high is your Apathy level. Mine is climbing quick. I love Houston and all our teams and I will NEVER route for anyone else so the Texans can always count me as a fan. However, if Kubiak is kept, I don't know how much I can care about next season. Obviously if they do great I'm all for it and will be excited which, no, that does not make me a bandwagon fan as I never left, but I have enough sense to see a bad investment when it is in front of me and keeps screwing me.

Final thought, the Texans are going to be even more of an embarrassment nationally than they already are if Kubiak is kept. This shows we accept mediocrity to the enth degree. He is well below .500 after 5 solid years and IMO, the Denver game showed the team quit on him. So.........we bring him back. GENIUS!!!!! What could possibly go wrong?

Hookem Horns likes this.
  2. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

I agree with you, I feel insulted and this was defintely calucuated. But, you may want to think about merging this into one of the other threads.

3. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

The team hasn't quit on him

And buy keeping kubes I think we are going to open up more to free agents this year

4. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

Of course it's a PR move. So what? It's his team, and he believes in his coach. There are a lot smarter football people involved in that team than the fans. While they may make mistakes, they're still smarter than us, and obviously way more patient.

McNair is crafting this team on the Steelers and Patriots models, where you build a winner and then just tweak slightly every year when you get there. Long-term personnel, long-term coaches. Not a revolving door. While it may be frustrating, I am at least intelligent enough to respect that.

What if Tom Landry had been fired after his sixth season? What if Belichick hadn't been fired by the Browns after his fifth? I'm not saying Kubiak is the next Landry or Belichick, but what if he is? Won't we feel like fools "rebuilding" for the next decade or two as the Browns have?

Give him a chance with a proven DC and apply some pressure on him and see what happens.

5. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

My apathy level is sky-high with this team right now. I really hate to say
    that, but Bob is on the verge of playin' all this team's fans for suckaz.
    The old man up in Dallas at least gives a damn about winning. Mcnair's
    next move will speak volumes about his priorities as the owner of
    an NFL franchise.

6. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

So fans are stupid? Ok, got it.

Give him a chance? LOL. That almost doesn't deserve a response.

7. HTown2ATX

Give him a chance? 5 years is not a chance?

I think one of the things you are forgetting when you mention those other teams such as the Steelers and Patriots is that the coaches showed success (playoffs) by 5 years.

Would you say our team is devoid of talent? Probably not.

Would you think that Belicheck or Thomlin could win with what we have now? I bet you would, I would. This means Kubiak is the problem.

The Patriots had an awful defense this year, yet are still the team to beat and are in a harder division. So both teams have talent, both have bad defense and good offense. What is the difference between the teams then and the wins coming for NE and not HOU.....coaching.

8. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Based on the results of the past 5 years, where we started and where we find ourselves today I don't know if I would be so certain about that.

You're right though. Bob McNair is entitled to do whatever he wants with his team. He's entitled to keep his pet coach and to bring all the considerable powers of his PR firm (known as "The Houston Texans") to bear on the problem to make it go away.

I'm entitled to feel uncomfortable though when I feel this football team doing a clumsy job of trying to push my buttons to get the sentimental response they want.

McNair dreams of his team being the Steelers or the Patriots but neither of those teams has ever stood for mediocrity as long as he has with Kubiak (let alone with Kubiak & Capers combined). He may dream of the Steelers and Patriots but he isn't even close to being where they are. He's not even (dare I say) "on the right track". I'm at least intelligent enough to recognize that this isn't the way either of those franchises do business.

I think it's safe to conclude that we're less likely to be looking at the next Landry or Belichick than we are any one of a hundred coordinators in over their heads who have been fired in the past four decades while I've been watching this game.

Bob's team though, Bob's rules.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
    houstonhurricane likes this.

9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Great thread, no you're not alone.

This is what the Bob McNair PR machine is all about. Bring back legends and let them carry the water for the mistakes you made. That way you can minimize the loss of $$$$.

I've got to give it to the Texans PR staff. They are the best in the business.

They trot out legends to validate their position and do you think the intimidation of the protest leaders is just a coincedence? Believe me the Texans had a hand in this. It's bad for the company business. You cant prove this because they probably sent out some of lackies to do their dirty work.

I'm begining to question whether I can continue to support an organization that uses these kinds of under handed tactics.

10. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

I have someone I want you to meet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaFy0x_Uixo

11. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

Actually, rather than being insulted, I've found the Bum visit somewhat amusing.

Picture a bunch of guys sitting around brainstorming about how to quiet the beyond angry fans when someone throwing paper balls into a trash basket says, "Hey, everyone loves Bum. Let's go find the old man and see what he has to say." Suddenly, everyone is sitting up straight, bright eyed and bushy tailed. The leader calls McNair who calls Bum immediately. Now Bum may be old but he ain't dumb. His kid is jobless, the Texans have no defense and McNair is on the phone. An idea is born.

While I may not think this is a great idea from a keeping Kubiak perspective, I certainly respect the hell out of the mind that came up with it.

If your goal is to keep Gary and keep the fans from going off the deep end - this is a stroke of PR genius. The fact that the fans aren't falling for it doesn't diminish that.

Double Barrel likes this.
  12. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

:bravo:

13. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 All Pro

Yeah I feel very insulted, I just wish one of the players would step up to McNair and say something

14. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

For every Landry and Belichick, there is a Joe Bugel, Art Shell, Dennis Erickson, Mike Tice, Dave Campo, Marion Campbell, Jim Zorn, Dave McGinnis, Steve Spurrier, Mike Singletary, Mike Riley, Lindy Infante, Romeo Crennel, Nick Saban, Dom Capers, David Shula, Josh McDaniels, Rod Marinelli, Lane Kiffin, Cam Cameron, Mary Mornhinweg, Ray Handley, Rich Kotite, John North, and the list goes on and on and on that I could name.

These are the names to be associated with Gary Kubiak, not Landry and not Belichick.

Gary Kubiak is what he is, a 36-43 head coach that has never taken his team to the playoffs after five seasons.

And the Browns? Seriously? We're scared of being the Browns? Well I agree, because their fundamental problem and detriment to winning is their owner. We are not too far behind at this point.

15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

You really believe this.

LOL

16. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

It's only good PR if it worked. Did it work? Is everyone feeling all warm and fuzzy now because of Bum's comments?

No, it backfired because everyone knows it was contrived. These guys think they can just pull out the "Bum card" to get us to accept a very unpopular decision. Screw'em, I am not that stupid and neither are most of us here.

HTown2ATX likes this.
  17. HTown2ATX

:lol:

Awesome

18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

DB, The Texans are on the same level as the Browns. Look at their records.

By this time next yr with no moves in FA and terrible drafting they should have fallen behind the Browns.

The Browns are building something and have a competent football guy running their organization. (Holmgren)

19. texanchris

texanchris Veteran

qft, i dont know why everyone is trying to compare Kubiak to Landry and Belichick when hes more likely on that list you created above. To me it seems like a desperate attempt by Mcnair to cool down the fans by getting Bum Phillips to talk about how good Kubiak is as a coach so that the fans wont be calling for his head. The list of the potentional head coaches which include sherman and the Raiders offensive coordinator and this were just sad attempts to make the fanbase less angry.

20. HTown2ATX

Dude....even Detroit. In all seriousness.....they have even gotten better and seem to play with some swag.

Rams...about to be in the playoffs with a team that sports a rookie QB and is devoid of talent anywhere else for the most part outside of Steven Jackson. Yes they are in the NFC West which is extreme garbage this year....BUT...you have to look at the whole AFC South too......our division is garbage and not exactly gang busters. I'm not saying the Rams are a better "team" than the Texans as we have more talent that has been together longer... I am saying though that the Rams would beat us with Bradford throwing proabably 400+ and 4 TD's on us to his no name recievers so I wouldn't scoff at the Rams. The Texans have no right to look down at ANYONE in the NFL except Buffalo.

They're the joke of the NFL right now if McNair keeps Kubiak. We would now be what Detroit always was. :kubepalm:

Here's Kubiaks attempt to get us to the playoffs....accept in the end even this character succeeded...

[​IMG]