"All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marcus, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Link

I flip open the morning paper, and get out the sports section, and the bold headline says . . .

All's forgiven, Dunta

. . . on top of a photo of Reeves laying on the field in pain from a broken leg.

So Mr. John McClain expects us all to forget the fact that he actually turned down an outrageous offer, way way more money than he's worth, and then threaten to sit out part of the season for being paid in the top 5 of the league . . . :gun:

. . . just because someone else playing in his position gets hurt? :brickwall:

There must be a fire sale somewhere on unmitigated gall these days.

GP likes this.
  2. GP

GP Go Texans!

That's beyond the pale.

Wrong on so many levels, IMO.

3. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

No class :(

4. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Whatever. Dunta is NOT forgiven in my mind, and I hope he doesn't show up at all this year. I'd just as soon see the rookies (whose job it's going to be someday anyways) and the emergency stop gap free agents we sign take up the slack, and of course our other guys when they get back from their injuries.

We are desperate right now for cornerbacks, and I'm sure Dunta will come back at some time and play for us. When he does the secondary will most likely be better for it, but it doesn't mean I still won't be pissed at him and rooting for someone to take his place.

5. J. Sean Wonton

J. Sean Wonton Veteran

Man, how about, "Damn, Jacques, sorry you're injured. Hope you get better soon. Thanks for working hard in training camp unlike some people."

6. Andrew6

Andrew6 Site Contributor

I think everyone is reading too much into everything. Think about this. He has been franchised so hes playing this year for one years money. He has no future money coming to him. If he gets hurt during training camp he's just S - O - L. You might think that is selfish and this and that and he should have the common decency to be out there etc... but would you? I don't think I would put my self in a situation where I could get hurt before the season starts and have a possibility of getting hurt. We have to remember yeah this is a game and might be the greatest game but in the end NFL is a bussiness and players are in the bussiness of getting paid. My Opinion I'm not mad at him or do I think he needs forgiveness, I will be mad when we come into our game against the Jets and then he's not shown up. Untill then give the guy a break and let some of the rookies, back ups etc... get some reps and let him stay healthy

TexanAddict and Double Barrel like this.
  7. J. Sean Wonton

J. Sean Wonton Veteran

I'm not really mad at Dunta, but I think it's crappy to act like Reeves hasn't been out there busting his butt and to not show him any love right now. To just be, another faceless player down, let's throw money at the faceless player that we've been hating and act like there are no hungry faceless players ready to help at this moment. Mainly, I'm just upset that Reeves is hurt, human, and getting no love in this news story. It's the obvious story, but c'mon, try another angle. Don't tap into the Dunta hype right now.

GP and TimeKiller like this.
  8. GP

GP Go Texans!

Rep your way.

9. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I don't think John McClain writes his own headlines. Headlines are supposed to attract the eyes and I really don't see an article with JM being a hypocrite here.

10. GP

GP Go Texans!

I thought when he signs the one-year tender...which is like almost $10 million...that it's guaranteed money. Injury or no injury.

If we worked a long-term deal with Dunta, I don't think he'd see a $10 million signing or roster bonus off of it.

Someone help me out if I'm wrong on this, but I think Dunta can sign and get the one-year $9.whatever million. And if he gets hurt, he still is going to collect it all season long. Correct?

I think Dunta has burned bridges, guys.

11. GP

GP Go Texans!

Correct. There's a separate staff person who writes headlines. Usually one of the editors or someone who places the copy for publication (the one who trims it for length and content, etc.).

Whoever wrote that headline didn't fully think through the connotations, or they are just a sensationalist writer trying to grab attention. Headlines are supposed to do that, but there's a fine line in terms of taste.

12. J. Sean Wonton

J. Sean Wonton Veteran

You're probably right, and I can't assign blame to anyone in particular. The story itself is pretty straightforward, but I sense something like here's the setup, Reeves, here's the big issue, Dunta, here's why it's important, rookies.

13. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Umm..so what's the problem? Yeah Dunta's been acting like an ass & reeves has been out there but let's be honest, if dunta wanted to come back right now and played his ass off, i could care less.

14. J. Sean Wonton

J. Sean Wonton Veteran

The problem is this: give Reeves an article about how hard he's been working, what this set back means to him, his plans for returning, etc., etc. Kind of like the article Dunta got under similar circumstances. They didn't do a by the way Dunta's hurt, here's some crap he said, but the real issue is we need a real, big time CB brought onto this team from free agency because what we have is crap. If I'm Jacques, I'm thinking, "Thanks a lot." I'm pretty sure when Jacques was giving those quotes he wasn't expecting it to be a Dunta story.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  15. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Good post, man. I feel the same way. It's just business, and certainly nothing to get emotional about until that first game that counts.

I think the headline is attempting to be cheeky.

16. rush2112mn

rush2112mn All Pro

Hell no.......
    My quote would have been........get your ass in camp now and sign the dang tender.....:evilb::deadhorse

17. Marcus

What the hell are you talking about? He signed the 1-year tender after he was franchised. His 10 million is guaranteed whether he gets hurt in training camp or not.

He's going to sit out TC and the preseason games, miss all the reps under a new defensive system, and even if he does come back for game 1 of the regular season, do any of you think he's going to be worth anything on the field, much less 10 million, which he's not worth to even begin with?

And as much as I detest these "Fire the head coach" threads, if he comes back after missing all of training camp and preseason, and if Kubiak is stupid enough to play him, and he gets lit up, I'll frick'n start a damn "Fire Kubiak" thread myself.

I want Rick Smith to get rid of this POS in the worst way. Hopefully he's trying to make it happen.

18. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Sorry, but he has not signed his tender.

19. J. Sean Wonton

J. Sean Wonton Veteran

Okay, Dunta is a business man. I'm not mad at him, but I don't want to read stories about him. I don't read stories about business men. I read stories about football players. Business men are boring.

20. Marcus

OKAY, but in order to come to camp, he has to sign his tender, right? So, if he blows out his knee the following day after he comes to camp, he's not S. O. L. He gets the 10 million.

Right?