Alliance of American Football (AAF)

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by OzzO, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

For those who missed the San Antonio game and are curious here is a 9 minute highlight video.

Boris and steelbtexan like this.
  2. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I'm not sure of the reason why, but the coverage of the game - camera work, sound, stuff like that - is noticeably better on CBS SN and the NFL Network than on the CBS broadcast game Saturday night.

3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

looks pretty strange on the AAF website... sounds strange too with no announcers

4. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Not a fan of all skycam all the time. Couldn't watch more than 5 minutes of it.

JB likes this.
  5. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Presley looks like somebody the Texans should bring to camp.

Runs hard and just caught a long wheel route.

6. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Arizona - Salt Lake game was a pretty entertaining game.

austins23 and steelbtexan like this.
  7. santo

santo Hall of Fame

Maybe we can bring Greg Ward to training camp. That was a good catch.

8. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

? link?

9. santo

santo Hall of Fame

It’s in the San Antonio highlights video Thorn posted.

JB likes this.
  10. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

After week one, the team that impressed me the most is Arizona. Best uniform award goes to Salt Lake, I like the understated colors of silver, light blue and white.

But I'm from Texas, so I'm rooting for San Antonio anyways.

steelbtexan, JB and infantrycak like this.

11. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Always root for the Texas team.

Ranger Tom, steelbtexan and Thorn like this.
  12. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Yep. And so far we're in first place! LOL

13. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

It was good to see a few UH guys on that San Antonio squad.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  14. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Good start!!

They beat out the garbage NBA in ratings already. :spit::spit:

15. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Always wanted Houston to win unless they played Dallas. Sorry was a Staubach fan. Possibly greatest but he served 6 years. Dallas did right and held their camp to accommodate him. Always wanted an all Texas SB.

16. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Interesting to see what the ratings look like once the newness wears off. I didn't watch a second of it other than the 3 or 4 minutes I tried to watch on their website where they had no announcers and it was all skycam. And that's only because JB mentioned it here. I did see on Twitter the sick INT by somebody, I think it was SA.

I doubt I'll ever get into it for the same reason I don't watch AAA baseball. But people do watch it and are interested in it and that's OK. Back when NFLE was about to close shop I suggested that they move that league here and put it in cities like San Antonio, Birmingham, Memphis, etc. Football starved Americans would follow it more than they could with it across the pond. And if it's a league that's more of a G League for the NFL instead of competing with it, I think it would do well, especially if the NFL comes in and starts backing it. The NFL almost desperately needs it. And maybe I'd be a little more interested if I knew for sure it was an NFL minor league.

Probably the worst thing that can happen to that league is the XFL coming in and depleting the talent pool even more. I don't know if both leagues can succeed. One will eventually need the NFL to step in, and I think I heard or read somewhere that that's what the AAF is eventually shooting for.

JB and Mollywhopper like this.
  17. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

So I got fuboTV just to watch the AAF games. I figured I'd keep the subscription for the two months of the league then drop it, when I noticed that my fubo subscription also includes ATT SportsNet, which means I now have the Rockets and Astros. That's going to make it a little harder, mentally at least, to drop my fubo subscription when the AAF is done for their season.

18. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

It's interesting. I think it's a little more pro than AAA baseball, though. The league is going to have a bunch of guys that couldn't cut it in the pros, of course. But it also has guys that might have done OK for themselves if they had been drafted, but through the process that is the NFL draft process, they weren't tall enough or quite fast enough, or they played for an unheralded school, or what have you. Greg Ward is one good example. He was an electrifying athlete at UH, but because of his size and the unconventional QB role, no one really thought he'd be drafted. Now he's on the San Antonio squad playing WR. Perhaps Braxton Miller might have gone this route if it had existed when he left Ohio St. I also think there will be non-skill position guys that will go here to develop their game. So they may very well end up in the pros through a somewhat more circuitous route, a la AAA baseball. So I definitely get your take. I just think as a whole, the league is going to have a little more sizzle.

19. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

I'm not downplaying the interest. I actually hope it does well. I don't know where the money is coming from for this league, but unless the NFL eventually gets behind them, I don't see how they can keep playing in 65,000 seat stadiums. What little I did see this past weekend, there weren't a whole lot of people in the stands. It didn't look like the Alamodome even opened the upper deck. These guys might have to start playing in soccer stadiums like the Chargers yard.

And I guess I should note that part of the reason I don't watch MiLB is that it's not readily available. Even if it was though, their season runs the same as MLB and that would just be way too much baseball with the Astros playing every night.

I do follow the Astros farm teams somewhat, but only to see how certain prospects are progressing. It's not about where the team is in the standings or them really needing to win the upcoming series or anything like that.

And minor league ball is littered with guys who will never cut it in the pros as well. It's just about the up and coming top prospects getting ready and others putting the time and work in to maybe get a taste. I expect the AAF to be the latter in regards to players making an NFL roster.

Mike Trout played 2 1/2 years in the minors. Of course he was drafted out of high school, but even if some of these top end college QBs who never amount to much had somewhere to go to actually learn the pro game and get coached up, instead of being a scout team guy never really getting a chance to learn, maybe there wouldn't be so many busts. Paxton Lynch, EJ Manuel, Christian Ponder, Jake Locker, how many guys like that could have benefited getting some seasoning in, learning the pro game, before being thrown into the fire? Not saying they still would have amounted to much, but you never know.

The AAF is doing things the NFL is thinking about, i.e. the no kickoffs, so I think the NFL will eventually get behind them in turning this into a true developmental thing. And that's a good thing as I think the NFL has needed it for quite some time.

There's plenty of talent that gets missed by the NFL. We see UDFAs do good things all the time now. I like that there's a way for more of those guys to be showcased. That can only improve the game.

But it will still just be AAA baseball to me. Good for the game, needed, but not something I'm personally investing much time in. My interest in it is to see how it shakes out this summer. How many of these AAF guys come to an NFL camp, how many actually make a team?

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  20. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Guess he's doing alright with what he's already made....
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...on-with-kaepernick/ar-BBTBKCc?ocid=spartandhp