All right, it's time to revisit this. Who here is really glad Bob didn't fire Gary?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansFanatic, Nov 6, 2011.

1. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

I was someone who wasn't loudly calling for Kubiak's head at the end of the 2010 season, but I absolutely thought it was time for him to go.

I also thought it was silly to think Wade was going to make that big of a difference. I knew he was a good coach, but I didn't expect the kinds of results we've seen.

I'm really happy Gary's still our coach. I know this three game winning streak doesn't mean he is suddenly the greatest coach in the world, and I think there's still a chance he'll need to be fired in the not so distant future. If he screws this season up by winding up with a 9-7 record and a one-and-done bounce from the playoffs, or if the team reverts next season with a tougher schedule to a 6-10 team----then he will most definitely have to go.

But what if the only thing that kept this team from succeeding---that kept Gary from succeeding---was a lack of success? What if they're getting better with each successive win because they're learning what it takes to win? Wouldn't it have been a shame to not get a chance to see Gary reap the rewards of his struggles with this team?

2. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Not me

It will be proven, Gary's been living right. 3 yr extention

Where's Peyton

3. Arsenal

Arsenal Veteran

Fawre him! Fawre gary kubiak! This guy doesn't know what victory is even if it sat in his lap and spit on him!

4. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I don't want to go here right now. I'm in a good mood and enjoying the win.

But...

Gary is still Gary. When you see the Texans down inside the 5 and they're running all over the Browns but suddenly throw the ball three straight times despite the fact that the field is small down there and the Browns are glued to everyone we send out..... that's Gary. Every time I see the Texans inexplicably abandon something that's working and then try to force something over and over again I think "**** you Gary". Every single time.

Now back to enjoying myself.

Yankee_In_TX likes this.
  5. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

What is the anomaly, years of struggle or a year with a sufficiently weak division/schedule to succeed?

With the talent this team has had, the Texans should have been in this position a couple of years ago, and might have been had a change been made.

Yes Gary is having success now that a competent defensive coordinator was selected for him. I'm happy the Texans are on their way to the playoffs and it's great to have a shot at playoff success. However, one year doesn't make him a great coach.

6. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got JJ?

I wonder how good we could be with a real coach.

[​IMG]

dc_txtech likes this.
  7. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

The game was pretty well taken care of by then, I wonder (maybe giving them too much credit) if they werent just showing something for film purposes. I think the Schaub TD run might have been another instance. Just giving future opponents something else to think about. Could be way off though, lol.

8. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I just wish Jerruh had fired Wade a year ago so Uncle bob could have hired him last year instead of Gary's buddy. And yeah, I think Uncle Bob would have over-ruled Smithiak and hired Bum's boy.

9. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

It's not that simple. We are winning because of Wade, not because of Gary.

Gary is still Gary. He still makes me nervous and I still think he's a weak coach, for the most part.

It's about collecting talent. This team has always had the talent, and that talent is starting to gel. I firmly believe that another coach could have come in here and turned this team around.

Am I happy with our record? Yes.

Do I think Gary deserves SOME credit? Yes.

But I would have been just fine firing his ass.

10. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

umm... we were 21 pts up. the game was over. what do we learn by scoring another rush td there going up 28? is there a more opportune time to practice prob what is our biggest offensive weakness right now (rz passing offence) in a game situation?

11. Arsenal

Arsenal Veteran

They are winning despite Gary like we win despite KJ. I must admit that Kubiak and Dennison have done a fine job.

12. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

i still want him gone.

13. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think he just gets stuck like a broken record on something that he wants to do and he'll pursue it until it either does or he costs us the game. Now we have a defense that can compensate for these weird "sequences" he springs on us. Who knows, maybe this "smartest guy in the room" bullshit is the price you pay for a truly gifted offensive mind. Whatever it is we now have a defense so it doesn't kill momentum like it has in the past.

I think Schaub took so much crap for not running earlier in the year (and that crap was deeply deserved) that he's just going for it when it's there. He shouldn't need a shit-storm of criticism to know to do that.

I'm getting out of this thread. Like I said, I don't want to be here. I'm happy tonight :)

14. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

:strangle:

I hope they go all the way just to spite all the "in-spiters".

15. RagingBull

RagingBull Hall of Shame

If we had Wade as D-Coordinator, Gary as O-Coordinator and Harbaugh as head coach, we could be so much better.

16. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Can't not respond. We were 21 points up? So what? Ever see 21 points disappear in puff of smoke? We all have and too many times to count.

"When someone asks you if you're a god YOU SAY YES!" When you're on the 5 yard line you score a TD every chance you get. Anyone stupid enough to be practicing their RZ passing offense in a game situation deserves the comeback they get when it happens.

17. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

and for the record, i was always in the minority that gary & wade would work well. despite that being the minoity view, i didnt exactly see that as going out on a limb- good offensive coaching & (finally) good defensive coaching + talent = good team. always that ppl around here were overrating the cowher persona that was a deemed requirement

18. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

LOL Wow. Not one.

I don't disagree with anything that's been said in this thread though.

19. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

This is where I am. As you said, the game was well in hand. Why not work on your weaknesses?
    I think that was a case of Gary (or Dennison) thinking, "You B@st@rds are going to run this play until you get it right".

20. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

It was the right call. We needed to get the defense right, and firing Kubes would have most likely caused the offense to take a step back, especially considering the lockout.