Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All hail the death of the 10 yard CB cushion

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
The Texans have only had one secondary coach in their entire existence. Jon Hoke. (though they did get an experienced helper dude last year with Ray Rhodes).

Jon Hoke never had an NFL job prior to working for the Texans.

His best corner was someone that was developed by another team and came to the team as pretty much a finished product--Aaron Glenn. He was a first round pick for the Jets, and had 8 years with them before coming to Houston.

I will be very interested in seeing what a fresh set of eyes does with this group. David Gibbs has been with a couple of NFL teams, including working with Herm Edwards with the Chiefs. Whatever you think of Edwards, he was pretty good at working with DBs.

GP

Go Texans!
I am looking forward to seeing a legitimate NFL defense rather than the Han van Meegeren-esque product that was rolled out under Richard Smith.
"There's only two things I can't stand in this world. Those who are intolerant of other people's cultures. And, the Dutch." -- Nigel Powers

(I had to cut-n-paste that name to even know who Han van Meegeren is).

Now THAT is classic crypto-socio. Nicely done.

W

whiskeyrbl

I like the idea of playing tight on the recievers. If our pass rush is improved like we all hope with the new scheme, the bump and run or jamming of the recievers could make all the difference in the world. In the case of Reeves(by no stretch of the imagination am I a football guru on CB's) I think he would be better suited playing on the outside shoulder of his reciever. We all know about him not turning and looking for the ball, but wouldn't this make it easier for him to see the ball in flight? More of a natural movement to look back for the ball. He has the speed to close on a slant or a 7-9 in route. Plus there should be help in the middle of the field.

P

Polo

Reeves may not be that physical, but I will say that he isn't afraid to take his licks...

Seen him get his neck run through a couple times, but I never saw him avoid contact...At least he's willing....

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
The Texans have only had one secondary coach in their entire existence. Jon Hoke. (though they did get an experienced helper dude last year with Ray Rhodes).

His best corner was someone that was developed by another team and came to the team as pretty much a finished product--Aaron Glenn. He was a first round pick for the Jets, and had 8 years with them before coming to Houston.

I will be very interested in seeing what a fresh set of eyes does with this group. David Gibbs has been with a couple of NFL teams, including working with Herm Edwards with the Chiefs. Whatever you think of Edwards, he was pretty good at working with DBs.
And does anybody know exactly what it is that Rhodes does? I don't. I don't think our DB's got any better since his arrival.

Every practice I attended (every one allowed), Rhodes never really looked to be doing much. Admittingly, It was just this past season where I made it a point to find him and watch what he did. It wasn't much. Maybe he contributes in the classroom? Maybe I'm off base?

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
And does anybody know exactly what it is that Rhodes does? I don't. I don't think our DB's got any better since his arrival.

Every practice I attended (every one allowed), Rhodes never really looked to be doing much. Admittingly, It was just this past season where I made it a point to find him and watch what he did. It wasn't much. Maybe he contributes in the classroom? Maybe I'm off base?
When Rhodes was first ill and coming back, he did mostly behind the scenes stuff so as not to get too worked up. I'm also thinking his role is different being an assistant versus the guy in charge of the secondary.

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
(I had to cut-n-paste that name to even know who Han van Meegeren is).

Now THAT is classic crypto-socio. Nicely done.
I put the dash in to make it clear where to end the selection before cutting.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame

There was some sort of cryptic comment last year about Hoke handling the CB's and Rhodes working with the safeties.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
There was some sort of cryptic comment last year about Hoke handling the CB's and Rhodes working with the safeties.
Either way, has there been a noticable impact anywhere in our secondary? Other than two veteran safety's coming in, I don't think so.

I'm not trying to discredit Rhodes. I'm just curious as to what he does.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Either way, has there been a noticable impact anywhere in our secondary? Other than two veteran safety's coming in, I don't think so.

Don't know. Given the safeties comment, I am curious what role he played in Demps being benched and Wilson starting, etc. I suspect he also helps analyze upcoming teams but we aren't going to see that.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Ray Rhodes was promoted to Senior Defensive Assistant with Texans Jan. 28, 2009, after serving as Texans' assistant defensive backs coach in 2008.

Ha, not trying to but you did a decent job of it anyway. I'm just as curious as anyone. He and Kubiak like Barber right? Okay, so what they liked Harrison too. Mitchell too before they just cut him. Earl. C.C. Brown. Demps came in and was okay and it was a godsend. Now Wilson who I think won't fall off like Demps did but at the same time I see him as a stop-gap player. Best FS on the roster right now? Dunta Robinson. Yup. Put the pressure on son-Gibbs and the young CBs we have to make a good unit out of themselves, they certainly have the potential between Bennett/Molden/Reeves and Quinn the 4th rounder. Make Dunta the deal he wants but play him where he needs to be, no crying about it either.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I'm not disputing that some veteran DBs have an internal clock that gives them a strong feeling about when the ball may be in the air, but most DBs aren't just relying on "instinctual feel" to let them know when to turn for the ball. The one thing that will get a DB in serious trouble is looking back for the ball too early. It allows the receiver to get immediate separation, and often results in a big play.

Most DBs are following a receiver's eyes and body language, or have teammates and coaches yelling to them from the sideline that the ball is in flight.

I'm aware that some veteran receivers are good at disguising their facial cues when the ball is arriving, but there's also body language involved, which is harder to disguise.

It's also not pass interference to simply fail to turn around for the football, as long as no contact with the receiver is made past five yards. There is no such thing as "face guarding" in football.

Most DB coaches teach that you only look back for the ball in two cases:

1) When the DB is running stride for stride with the receiver in an interposed position between the quarterback and the receiver. For example, if he's covering a wideout on a post pattern and the WR makes his break toward the middle of the field, if the DB has inside position and is running stride for stride with the WR, it would be acceptable to look back for the ball at that point.

2) When the DB has a specific reason to believe the football is in the air and on the verge of arriving, based on an assessment of the receiver's eyes and body language, or a cue from sideline personnel that the ball is arriving.
Thanks for the assist as this is what I was trying to say. I think the new defense will benefit our corners who have the size and speed to cover well and not arrive too late.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I hope we see our DL and our DBs getting their hands up a lot more than they have in the pass. A pass deflection at the line or by the WR is great and those can often lead to interceptions by another player. Maybe Shane Battier can give them some instructions and use his coverage against Kobe as an example. If you get your hand in their face it's hard to see the ball!
I am hoping that our DEs will force QB to drop straight back and get rid of ball quicker and the Dline will deflect more passes. Maybe TJ will do better this season at least I hope so.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Can you imagine what this team will be like if the D line progresses as it should, Cushing and the new FAs strengthen the LB corps and our corners turn into what they can be? Heck, we might not even need to worry about our safeties? :thisbig:

badboy

Hall of Fame
Ha, not trying to but you did a decent job of it anyway. I'm just as curious as anyone. He and Kubiak like Barber right? Okay, so what they liked Harrison too. Mitchell too before they just cut him. Earl. C.C. Brown. Demps came in and was okay and it was a godsend. Now Wilson who I think won't fall off like Demps did but at the same time I see him as a stop-gap player. Best FS on the roster right now? Dunta Robinson. Yup. Put the pressure on son-Gibbs and the young CBs we have to make a good unit out of themselves, they certainly have the potential between Bennett/Molden/Reeves and Quinn the 4th rounder. Make Dunta the deal he wants but play him where he needs to be, no crying about it either.
Do FSafeties get $40 million contract like corners?

He's awfully light in the britches to play FS.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying......
At most 5'10'', 180...I'd say he's small to play anywhere but that certainly hasn't stopped him from "bringing the wood likes he does". With the added run stopping potential Cushing brings next to Ryans he shouldn't be making many tackles anyway. I guess I'm still just in the boat that wants to see his speed back to what it was and figure the move to FS might highlight his strengths (highlight hits, ball skills) and cover his weakness (agility if not speed. He looked stiff) while giving a chance to younger guys to step in at CB.

Do FSafeties get $40 million contract like corners?
No, but what's the highest FS contract right now? Anyone know?

EDIT:I don't know if it's Bob Sanders of the Colts or not but he got a 5 year, 37.5mil with 20 mil guaranteed. Isn't that close to what Dunta was offered?

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
At most 5'10'', 180...I'd say he's small to play anywhere but that certainly hasn't stopped him from "bringing the wood likes he does". With the added run stopping potential Cushing brings next to Ryans he shouldn't be making many tackles anyway. I guess I'm still just in the boat that wants to see his speed back to what it was and figure the move to FS might highlight his strengths (highlight hits, ball skills) and cover his weakness (agility if not speed. He looked stiff) while giving a chance to younger guys to step in at CB.

No, but what's the highest FS contract right now? Anyone know?

EDIT:I don't know if it's Bob Sanders of the Colts or not but he got a 5 year, 37.5mil with 20 mil guaranteed. Isn't that close to what Dunta was offered?
It was Sanders. I don't remember if they mentioned the length of contract or total $$$$, but it is alleged that Dunta turned down 23 million dollars guaranteed.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
When comparing Sanders and Robinson...............can you say PRO BOWL.........Sanders x 2, Robinson x goose egg.
The only comparison these two have is that they both get injured.

Sanders is a game changer, a player that took that defense to a Superbowl.

Robinson is not a game changer, a player that hasn't taken the defense past BLAH.

The only comparison these two have is that they both get injured.

Sanders is a game changer, a player that took that defense to a Superbowl.

Robinson is not a game changer, a player that hasn't taken the defense past BLAH.
I think that's an unfair comparison, Dunta was a warrior before getting rolled on. Bob Sanders just gets nicked up a lot. Dunta also came back sooner than expected

Accurate about player status though.

Thing is I think Dunta would be most effective at safety, maybe not quite Bob Sanders because he wouldn't be the whole defense but similar. Maybe he would be happy with being the highest paid safety?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Slow footed CB's letting slant routes go for 50 yd TD's.

As with all defensive schemes, you have to build on your strengths and try to circumvent your weaknesses.

In some situations, it is appropriate for the CB to give some cushion. But 3rd and 2 is not that situation. I honestly could not believe how many times our CB's were lined up 10 yds deep in 3rd and short situations last year.
How many times?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
If you do what your coaches tell you to do and you get burned, it's not completely your fault.

If they tell you to sit back and you jam instead and get burned, you're fired.

Last year our coaches would rather give up 8 yards on every single play than risk giving up a 60 yd TD. I disagree with that strategy. But the fact remains that, as a player, if you don't do what your coaches tell you to (even if they are wrong) it won't end well for you.
I did not see that!

76Texan

Hall of Fame
When the Texans did give the customary 5 to 7 yd cushions, mostly these would be the scenarios:

- They loaded up the box to defend the run, so they wanted their DBs played back a little.
- They blitzed or showed blitz. With 5 or 6 men at the LOS.
- They wanted to lay a trap.
- They stayed ready for the quick short pass and either try to lay wood or jump the routes.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
The Texans hardly gave the opponent a 10 yd cushion.
In fact, they played tighter press coverage than their opponents overall/on the average.
How many times?
There are too many folks, myself included, who have observed and commented on it during Smith's tenure for this to be a debate. We have even had multiple threads discussing who was calling the coverage that way Smith or Hoke and that it was obviously a coaching decision or Hoke when have been chewing out DB's as they came back to the sidelines - which did not happen.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
When the Texans did give the customary 5 to 7 yd cushions, mostly these would be the scenarios:

- They loaded up the box to defend the run, so they wanted their DBs played back a little.
- They blitzed or showed blitz. With 5 or 6 men at the LOS.
- They wanted to lay a trap.
- They stayed ready for the quick short pass and either try to lay wood or jump the routes.
First of all, I'm not not a walking DVR. But the 10 yd cushion was not very exceptional with O short yardage need. The scenarios you mentioned still do not justify a giving 1st and 10 in 2-3 yd situations. And BTW, our CBs not uncommonly gave up 5 to 9 yd gains on 1st and 10.........setting up opposing O short yardage situations.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
First of all, I'm not not a walking DVR. But the 10 yd cushion was not very exceptional with O short yardage need. The scenarios you mentioned still do not justify a giving 1st and 10 in 2-3 yd situations. And BTW, our CBs not uncommonly gave up 5 to 9 yd gains on 1st and 10.........setting up opposing O short yardage situations.
How often were the Texans in short yardage situations where the opponents need 3 yd or less? And how often did the DBs allow a ten yard cushion? I'm pretty sure that you will have a hard time looking for those few situations.

Giving up 5 and 9 yd on 1st and 10? Sure! Too many to count.
But again, they hardly lined up 10 yd off the LOS.
They didn't play 5-7 yd off the LOS as often as the opponents did either.

I only want to dispell the myth that the Texans did or didn't do certain things.
Nothing personal to/with anybody.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
There are too many folks, myself included, who have observed and commented on it during Smith's tenure for this to be a debate. We have even had multiple threads discussing who was calling the coverage that way Smith or Hoke and that it was obviously a coaching decision or Hoke when have been chewing out DB's as they came back to the sidelines - which did not happen.
Sorry, I missed your post!

I'm afraid I do not understand your point, if you don't mind clarify it, thanks.

Are we talking about the 10 yd cushion last year, the last two years?
(I will assume that we forego the first year, what with the change-over in coaching and the 3-4).

I can go back two years and the Texans still played more press man coverage than the opponents overall.

It would take a lot of time for me to break down each play.
But I believe I had spent a lot of times watching the tapes.
All I'm interested in is the facts.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Are we talking about the 10 yd cushion last year, the last two years?
(I will assume that we forego the first year, what with the change-over in coaching and the 3-4).

I can go back two years and the Texans still played more press man coverage than the opponents overall.

It would take a lot of time for me to break down each play.
But I believe I had spent a lot of times watching the tapes.
All I'm interested in is the facts.
Over the last three, or two if you prefer, seasons the coverage has often lined up on or 2-3 yards past the 1st down marker. The WR's have commonly driven off the line with our guys starting there followed by back pedaling only to watch the WR turn just over the line and catch a 1st down reception with no prior contact. Now maybe you are equating Indy lining up 5 yards off the line of scrimmage on 3rd and 7 with our lining up 10 yards off on 3rd and 7 as neither being press coverage, but they simply aren't the same in terms of the stupidity of what we have been doing. There is a whole lot of room for different ways not to press the WR at the line. Our method has sucked even if you are correct and we have pressed more than division rivals as well.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Over the last three, or two if you prefer, seasons the coverage has often lined up on or 2-3 yards past the 1st down marker. The WR's have commonly driven off the line with our guys starting there followed by back pedaling only to watch the WR turn just over the line and catch a 1st down reception with no prior contact. Now maybe you are equating Indy lining up 5 yards off the line of scrimmage on 3rd and 7 with our lining up 10 yards off on 3rd and 7 as neither being press coverage, but they simply aren't the same in terms of the stupidity of what we have been doing. There is a whole lot of room for different ways not to press the WR at the line. Our method has sucked even if you are correct and we have pressed more than division rivals as well.
Let me try to go over the short situations in one of the games.
It just happens to be the season opener at Pittsburgh.

1st half

TEXANS ball
3-3 @ HOU 50
Texans in 3 wides. Walter on far left.
The RDB was 8.5 yd off the LOS.
Walter had a big cushion and could have had an easy comebacker for a first down.
Too bad, Schaub connected with Anderson underneath one yard shy.

STEELERS ball
3-3 @ HOU 22
Steelers in 3 wides.
Reeves was 2 yd off the LOS, Bennett was one yd off.
Bennett gave a chuck to the receiver.
Reeves tried to, but didn't get contact as Holmes made a little hesitant move.
Holmes caught the ball for a first down on a quick inside slant.
Reeves was right there though. There was no intentional cushion.
There wasn't any cushion, really.

Texans ball.
3-2 @ HOU 28
Texans in 2 wides.
Steelers' DBs were at least 6 yd behind LOS, and back pedaling.
The RCB gave Walter a 9 yd cushion before he turned to face the ball.
The LCB gave about the same cushion to AJ, then missed the tackle.
The LB Woodley had to come over to push AJ out of bound after the first down gain.

STEELERS ball.
3-2 @ PIT 39
Steelesr in diamond formation (3 receivers in the left slot).
A second TE just behind and outside the strong side TE on the right.
Texans had Reeves one yd off LOS right next to Mario at RDE,
Diles 2.5 yd off on the outside right to check another receiver.
Demps 3 yd off on the left side to check on the outside TE,
and Bennett moved back 5 yd to check on the inside TE.
Both Reeves and Diles bumped the receivers as they came off the line.
Mario got a sack.
Again, where was this mythical 10 yd cushion?

2nd half.

STEELERS ball
2-1 @ PIT 50
Steelers with a lone receiver on the far right (#85 Washington.)
Bennett was right on top off him (inches from the LOS) and got on him right off the bat.
Again, where was this mythical untouched receiver?

Different series, STEELERS ball
3-2 @ PIT 28
Steelers with lone receiver on the left side.
Reeves was right on top of him, one yd off LOS, and stayed stride on stride with him.

TEXANS ball
2-3 @ PIT 19
Texans in 3 wides.
The 2 Steelers' DBs on either far side were at least 8 yd behind the LOS, and backpedaling.
The one on AJ was at least 10 yd off the LOS when he turned.
AJ was wide open.
Too bad A. Davis was called for a false start.

It sure looks like the wrong DC was being targeted here, JMHO.

BigBull17

Hall of Fame
There were way to many times I would be screaming at the TV because they needed 4 yards and we would be 7+ yards off the recievers.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
There were way to many times I would be screaming at the TV because they needed 4 yards and we would be 7+ yards off the recievers.
There were more than way too many times when I saw our receivers, especially AJ given big cushion for easy gains.

Sure, some teams did try to play AJ close at times.

Sometimes they got away with it because of a penalty or a mistaske by the O-line or our QB.

A lot of times they got beat.

BigBull17

Hall of Fame
There were more than way too many times when I saw our receivers, especially AJ given big cushion for easy gains.

Sure, some teams did try to play AJ close at times.

Sometimes they got away with it because of a penalty or a mistaske by the O-line or our QB.

A lot of times they got beat.
But, we did it to almost everybody. J-Ville's **** stain recievers got huge cushions.

Last edited:

BigBull17

Hall of Fame
With the exception of the Cards and the Bengals (more like ocho cinco). Im comfortable with us doing press coverage the entire season. IMO.
Me too. Lee Evans is another. Bolden is more of a YAC guy, so disrupt his timing. More than not, I don't want a free release.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
But, we did it to almost everybody. J-Ville's **** stain recievers got huge cushions.
Do you care to do a recap of that game to tell us what kind of cushion we gave the Jags?

How about the Colts, in the same game up there?
Is this a big enough cushion for you?

1st half

Texans ball
3-2 @ IND 37
Texans in 2 wides.
Colts' RCB played back at least 9 yd and back pedaling.
He didn't stop until he got to his own 18-19 yd line.
That's almost a 20 yd cushion.
The LCB played back about 6-7 yd and backpedaling.
Somehow, AJ still got past him by about 3 steps for a 19 yd gain.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
With the exception of the Cards and the Bengals (more like ocho cinco). Im comfortable with us doing press coverage the entire season. IMO.
I don't know about the Bengals with Palmer in there.
But last year, we played up to the LOS all the way 'til the end.
Even with a big lead.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
How about the first play of the game the Jags came to town?
On 1st and 10 at our 3, the RCB plaed 7 yd off the LOS and back pedaling.
He was never to be found until long after the play was blown dead.
He didn't stop until he had given a 16 yd cushion thereabout, and that was only because AJ stopped for an easy first down.
If AJ had continued on, he would probably run all the way through the tunnel.

Actually, he did keep going, switching to Walter who slipped through his defender.

Rosenfels had to roll to his left.
If he was left-handed, that would have been a simple TD to Walter instead of the easy first down to AJ.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
How about the same series, when the same guy #27 R. Mathis gave a big cushion to AJ and kept running toward his own endzone, allowing the 31 yd TD to Andre?

Now, that is a cushion!

BigBull17

Hall of Fame
How about the first play of the game the Jags came to town?
On 1st and 10 at our 3, the RCB plaed 7 yd off the LOS and back pedaling.
He was never to be found until long after the play was blown dead.
He didn't stop until he had given a 16 yd cushion thereabout, and that was only because AJ stopped for an easy first down.
If AJ had continued on, he would probably run all the way through the tunnel.

Actually, he did keep going, switching to Walter who slipped through his defender.

Rosenfels had to roll to his left.
If he was left-handed, that would have been a simple TD to Walter instead of the easy first down to AJ.
Yeah, but AJ is one of the guys you can give a huge cushion to, not Matt Jones and Reggie Williams. Our recievers made enough plays to justify the cushion, we gave one to everybody and their retarded step brother.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Yeah, but AJ is one of the guys you can give a huge cushion to, not Matt Jones and Reggie Williams. Our recievers made enough plays to justify the cushion, we gave one to everybody and their retarded step brother.
But we didn't quite give them much cushion!

The first game.
First half.
We gave them some cushion on 2-19 and 3-13 and force a punt.

How about this:
Check the 2nd qtr around 12:50 on 3-8
Here's what the announcer said, while circling the pairs of players on the field (4 circles):
"Now here's the coverage... Where you're gonna go? You can't go there. Can't go there.
That's covered. That's covered. I mean he (Garrard) has no option.
Wonderful job by the defense right there by the Houston Texans."

It was tight coverage all around on the play that almost resulted in a sack.
As it was, we forced a punt.

With a little more than 3 mins to go, we played one DB up (1 yd), one back a little (about 6 yd.)
But we brought 8 in the box to stop the run.
The announcer numbered them in red for all to see.

With a little more than 2 mins to go, we did the same thing again, loading the box.
I can see that Reeves blew this one. (But he was only 6 yd off the LOS).
He ran with the receiver, and shoulda stay either side by side or a little in front or behind,
since he had help over the top from the lone safety CC Brown.
(Still, Reeves didn't give a big cushion like you thought.)
By the look of his reaction, he knows he made a mistake. He shoulda gotten himself ready to jump that route.

Only when we lead by 4 at the end of the 4th that we gave them some 5-7 yd cushion.
All the while looking to lay a trap.
Greenwood shoulda had that pick with just over 2 mins to play.
That would have most likely end the game right there.
But the Jags scored on Garrard's legs, and not his arms.

And then in OT, we lost because:
1. Reeves couldn’t stay with the receiver.
(He didn't give Jones any cushion there, just got beat, are you happy? LOL!)
2. Greenwood missed a tackle on the other side line.

Again, when we got beat, it was with their receivers beating our defenders.
Not because we gave them much cushion.

On the other hand, it was the Jags who gave ALL our receivers more cushions,
at times for no reason but the respect for our passing game.

Some of you guys keep asking me to check game after game.
But really, why dontcha go back and check out the games yourself :):(