All Eyes on Texans Quarterback Dan Orlovsky

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by MojoMan, Aug 11, 2010.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

I hope Matt Schaub is healthy and does not miss a snap all year. He was healthy for most of the year in 2009, and with an increased emphasis on running the ball in 2010, there is every reason to expect Schaub will have great success this year.

However, the NFL is a rough place and the Quarterback position is one of particular vulnerability. As a result, it is all too common to see the backup QB of any team taking the field at some point during the season, as has been the case for the Houston Texans pretty much every year since their inception in 2002.

Sometimes, this is when heroes are made. Other times, this is when seasons are lost. Which is why Texans' Quarterback Dan Orlvosky is in such a pivotally important role as the Houston Texans try to earn their first ever playoff birth this year.

The word coming out of training camp about Dan Orlovsky so far has been disconcerting. But a good showing on Saturday could really change a lot of perspectives. Hopefully Dan-O plays a great game Saturday and begins to establish himself as a leader on this team. If not, it could be time for Smithiak to start searching the waiver wires for his replacement.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Signing Dan O, then retaining him for another year while releasing Grossman ?
    QBs are supposed to be Kubiaks long-suit, but did he make the right decisions about those 2 ? Looking doubtful ?

3. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Honestly, I didn't see anything wrong with Grossman as the primary back-up last year.

He came in and worked for bread crumb.
    I can see how the two parties saw it as mutually beneficial.
    Grossman needed a jump start to land his next job.
    For the Texans, Grossman already knew the system and he didn't cost much.
    That would give Dan O. the opportunity to "unlearn" the previous system and to learn the intricacy of the WCO.

The Lions depended on the receivers more as the TEs had only 43 catches and all the backs (including FBs) had 64.
    Out of 281 completions, 62% went to the receivers.

The Texans completed 73 passes to the TEs and 101 to the RBs.
    Out of 399 completions, 56% went to the receivers.

And the Texans have a much better receiving corp than the Lions.

Dan O. has all the tools but he needs the toolbox.
    He needs to learn to take what the defense gives him, to make all the right reads, to find the hot receiver quickly, to hand the ball go the backs correctly in the ZBS.

I don't think fans should be too critical of him.
    Rosenfels and Schaub were both quite inconsistent (for quite a long while) early when they first came to the Texans.

But hey, once gain, it's always good for the fans to have something to talk about. :texflag:

badboy likes this.
  4. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Did you watch the Jags game? Dude was horrible.

5. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

He was pretty bad out there, but not horrible.
    But that's Grossman.
    Sometimes he's good T-Rex; sometimes he's bad T-Rex.
    We all knew that coming in.

I would have preferred to make DanO the back-up straight away.
    But the Texans chose to do differently.

6. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I don't think I would even say that Grossman had a poor performance, actually.

Things just didn't go right for the Texans, that's all.

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think Kubes the QB guru is working on D.O.'s psyche. In a recent radio interview, Orslovky said Kubes told him at OTAs he needed to bring more to the field and O. said it made him angry but determined to do what Kubiak wanted. I saw little between his efforts and Grossman's last season & believe Gary was trying to send a message. I think it is important that only Booty is on the roster to challenge D.O. this season. I think Schaub will have another healthy year and O. will improve even more so. If not, I will probably arrange my board to draft a QB rather high.

8. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

That sounds eerily familar to an ex-QB that was here, except substitute "falling down" and "run out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage" for the bolded above.

:thinking:

Outofboundsky better wake it up, quick.

9. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I've been on DanO's side the entire time he's been here (guess I'm just a sucker for underdogs), but from what I've seen in camp this season hasn't been much different than last year. I still think he's thinking too much, causing very poor throws. He's over-throwing, under-throwing and just missing short routes all together. Short routes?!

Heck, If I were forced to choose a #2 today I just might give it to JDB.

If he doesn't get his mind right in these 4 pre-season games we are likely screwed if Schaub goes down.

10. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Time will tell of coarse but I sure wouldn't mind them drafting a 3rd or 4th to hold the clipboard for a few years to be a QUALIFIED & CAPABLE backup and step in if Matt goes down. Probably not a popular idea but that's just me.

11. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

The question of keeping 2 or 3 QBs hopefully is answered with concrete logic. If Orlovsk is not downright solid by mid preseason, and we decide to keep him, we better find a vet to hedge our bets. Under those circumstances, I don't see Orlovsky and Booty being a smart backup plan to Schaub.

12. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Of course I want Orlovsky to get it and be the entirely adequate backup they signed him to be. I wasn't impressed with what we saw in the preseason last year and I was very happy that we had Grossman around. Those of us who thought Grossman was truly pathetic against Jacksonville keep in mind that it could have been even worse.

If Orlovsky had been able to push past Rex on the depth chart and taken the #2 spot he would have. He didn't.

Now I'm hoping he's improved enough to be that backup but I am not going to get excited about anything until I see him make it happen. I want to see what he can do and I'm hoping for the best but if he looks like he did last year who (if anyone) is still out there looking for work? I like the old veteran approach to the #2 spot if I can find one.

13. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I don't think there is much out there. Culpepper? Patrick Ramsey maybe?
    Did Jeff Garcia sign anywhere? If Favre returns, maybe we can get Sage back for a 7th?

14. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Jeff Garcia is available, and I imagine he wouldn't mind joining the Texans for the right price. The problem is the team already invested a bunch of money in Dan O, so I doubt they would find a new #2.

15. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Herv, I would like to know why you (and some others) think Grossman was pathetic in that game?

16. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I don't have it where I can watch it again, but I remember thinking that he sucked at the time.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

What I liked most about Rex, was that he didn't want to be a backup QB. He's played on the biggest stage there is, and he believes he can get there again.

What I liked about Sage, I never got the impression that he "understood" that he was a back-up. I felt he always (since he got here) thought he was a starter waiting for his opportunity.

I liked Orlovsky when he played in Detroit, because that is who I thought he was. The last two years, I don't know. Is he happy being the back-up?

18. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

It was tough to watch, but no, Grossman was just a victim of a lot of things that went wrong for us on that day.

The receivers didn't run crisp routes and the O-line had some leaks were two major factors. And the Jax were just in the right place at the right time.

19. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Haha, let's hope third time is the charm!

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

A 5.6 QB rating might explain thinking he was pathetic.