All eyes on Gregg Williams

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by texanfan2002114, Jan 12, 2009.

1. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

2. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

To not mention the Titans would be a huge omission when discussing his future. If Jim Schwartz leaves Tennessee, Williams would instantly be the #1 name to go back to the Titans.

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Here is an extremely unflattering piece on Gregg Williams...long article but worth the read...also an ugly tidbit about Steve Jackson too.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2672668&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1

4. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

I've read that article before and it kind of turned me off to the idea of Greg Williams. I would really like to see Jerry Gray get an interview here though. Williams would probaly be a good dc somewhere but I'm not sure he would fit in here. I say Gray or McDermott.

5. GP

GP Go Texans!

I don't want Gregg Williams.

Give me a young guy who's hungry for a shot, a jump up.

Anybody on that Eagles defense is alright to me.

Heck, I'd take the Eagles water boy if he was the only thing left. (that's what VY said...)

6. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I didn't read the whole thing, but it is a little humbling. It sure sounds like he would basically jettison all our best players if the time came for it...

The one positive thing is that it seems like with the right personnel, he really gets the defense working. When players believe in him and he has the right guys, he's a top 5 coach. When left to manage the personnel or when he starts disrespecting people, the defense plummets

7. toronto

toronto Hall of Fame

After watching the job he did in JAX, I'm not sure any Titan fan wants him back. They were a complete mess this year, and he has to bear responsibility for that, injuries or not.

8. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Williams isn't going to suffer at all from his bad year in Jacksonville. His resume speaks for itself.

He was in Jax for one year - with a defensive-minded head coach that he often butted heads with and had big philosophical differences - and he only had one off-season worth of input into defensive personnel - if he even had ANY personnel input.

Also - Jeff Fisher's waaaay too good of a coach to give a rat's ass what the fans in Nashville think about anything. (I know you're not saying he would care, Toronto - just making a point. Fisher has worked with Williams before and they had some VERY successful defenses.)

Anyway - Williams was the first guy I thought of and wanted when Smith got fired - but from many things I've read since, he's fallen pretty far down my list.... just too much stuff about his ego, his attitude, and his system that kind of bug me now.

9. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

If the Tacks lose their DC I think Williams will head there unless we just break the bank. I am not sure McNair would do that for an Asst Coach.

10. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Vinny, I got through about half that link before I started questioning Williams' presence as a good one.

I'm all for anyone from the Eagles defense though....man those guys look good.