All encompassing Rick Smith thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by djohn2oo8, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

thanks for the well thought out and civil response OT, it really lends itself to further discussion .. while I may not share your level of optimism I do agree that each player respectively has shown at some point or another during the year that they could help whenever it is that they will be asked to do so. Coutee came out in his first game as a pro and set the NFL completions record for a rookie in his first game and then the injury bug hit.

I had high hopes when the Texans selected 2 TEs last year thinking to myself that OBrien was going to recreate the offense he had in NE with 2 young and promising rookie TEs. TBD.

I loved Rankin in college, he's really left me deflated. I dont see even an inside lineman at this point. He is weak at the point of attack, does not play with leverage and his feet rival how bad Davenports feet are. Want to kill Watson? PLay Davenport and Rankin on the same side.

Staying healthy is part of it. Players becoming pro's is part of it. Gaine did an ok job for this first gig, but it was an OBrien/Gaine aligned selection process so Bill OBrien should also share the accolades or the criticisms when it does or doesnt work out. Its still early to suggest that late round picks have panned out I mean the sheer number of injuries on this team would necessitate the need to keep playing these young guys in particular the special teamers. As long as the selection committee keeps nailing the 1-2 picks like the previous, those are the difference makers IMO. Happy stories about late round picks becoming HOFers are really cool and all that, but its really not the norm in the NFL, but with you I also share a newfound appreciation for having serviceable later round picks this year and hope that the trend continues. If Justin Reid becomes an All Pro safety then this draft was a win regardless of who else emerges.

2. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

To me Smith was average with the draft. Great in rd 1 but average the rest of the way.

The problem was his boneheaded decisions to signing and resigning players. He was terrible at having a feel for signing guys. Too many times he would give big contracts after a player had a major injury.

3. santo

santo Hall of Fame

Rick Smith was also good at finding FA's off the street. I agree about handling contracts, seemed to always let go of players with good potential like Quinn, and keeping players that were on the decline, like Cushing.

4. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

What FA's off the street? UDFA's? they chose the Texans.... yeah he was very poor at team management and very weak appearing to me. First round is on coaches and scouting, after that it's on GM and scouting. Much harder to watch film and live #100 than it is possible #10

5. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

Can't wait to get back to Houston (Humble) on a full time basis so a few of us fans can get together and just shoot the shite about sports on occasion. I still don't understand why we just can't discuss opinions on this site without making it so dang personal. I can get like that sometimes but it's the personal attacks (not just me) that rile me up sometimes. Anyhow, nice post with an opposing point of view.

6. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

absolutely a fair and accurate criticism. I get nauseated when i think about the Ed Reed fiasco (even though I think McNair played a big part in that) was Ahman Green on Rick? Allowing guys like Brooks, Ben Jones, Duane Brown, Glover Quin, Bouye etc to walk .. lets not forget that Rick Smith was able to trade a 6th round pick for Chris Meyers who was a stud C for a while around here, signing Wade Smith who was a good lineman, and for me the coup de grace was that Rick Smith was able to get SOMETHING for Matt Schaub after the historic collapse, that he got a 6th rounder for him was nothing short of a miracle. I disliked the Jacque Reeves deal a ton, and the Osweiler situation I was completely against from the get go.

Ricks gone, Brian is here. Like I said before Brian has a ton of work to do before he's on Ricks level, but he's trending up.

7. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Board get together's aren't unknown... quite a few have met others. Yeah the dialogue has become way too argumentative, but this site is going through growing pains. It's all in text so no reading the other person. Too many come across as attacking the poster (I know I'm guilty!) instead of the post

OptimisticTexan and steelbtexan like this.
  8. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

The football side has traditionally been pretty civil. Got a lot of new members coming in. Hit me up if someone needs a rolled newspaper to the nose.

The NSZ has always been rough & tumble. I used to be far rougher. RZ & I would trade barbs constantly. But there was no animosity. That's what it is supposed to be. Some folks have gone off the chain. And we used not to have bleedover. Working on it but it's like herding rabid skunks.

9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

`
    It shouldN'T be that hard for Gaine to beat the track record you just described and if he cant do better than that Gaine should be fired too.

The main thing Gaine shouldn't do is re-sign guys like Schaub/Cushing when they're coming off injury and still under contract. Doing that was just plain stupid and many on this MB said so at the time. Also trading a 2nd rd pick to get rid of your boo boo and create cap space then not use the cap space and predictably finishing 4-12 should also cost a GM his job.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    OptimisticTexan likes this.
  10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

When do you get back?

Let me know and I will buy you a beer.

I live in the livable forest.

paycheck71 and OptimisticTexan like this.

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Ok.

I didn't say any different. At least I don't think I did. See, the conversation was whether I thought our season going so well was directly related to Rick Smith not being here.

My answer is that I believe our season is going as well as it is because we have a game changer under Center, our in the gun, or however you say QB.

I've got nothing against Gaine. I like what he's done so far. I hope everything turns out the way we think they have, but the truth is too early to say. I remember several drafts we thought we did well & two/three years later we feel we wasted every pick from the third round on.

Remember Louis Nix, Jared Crick? I thought those were bonafide steals.

I loved the Demaryius Thomas trade. But really, how much did it help? I'm not saying it had no effect. I'm not blaming Gaine for a torn Achilles. But bottom line, he's out for the season & we haven't won the division yet.

Deshaun Watson being healthy is the reason for the season. He decides he'd rather go on mission to Guatemala tomorrow, prepare for another embarrassing playoff azWhup'n

12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

13. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

wrong thread.

14. paycheck71

paycheck71 Hall of Fame

Nice. I lived in Kingwood between 89 and 96.

OptimisticTexan and steelbtexan like this.
  15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I enjoy living here,

It is getting more crowded.

OptimisticTexan likes this.