Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by ArlingtonTexan, Apr 25, 2011.
She declines to stay her ruling depending on appeal.
Link shortly...NFL network break in
Per Chris Mortensen on Twitter
Filed to ESPN: Federal Judge Susan Richard Nelson has ruled for players, lifting lockout, per sources. Owners will seek immediate stay.
Still trying to decipher all of this, do we have free agency right now or are we going to have to wait another week for the appeals court?
Wait for the court of appeals to rule whether a stay should or should not be granted. This part ususally happens quickly because the judge would feel that a stay would harm the players in an unfair way.
According to those who know the legal process more than me, not granting the stay would mean there is football with the previous rules in place. From the quick analysis that I have heard, stay or no should happen within a calendar week.
Free agency and drafts would assume under the orevious agreement. This is good news for all teams right now.
screw the teams, owners & players....this is good news for the fans.
I take this to mean there can now be contact between coaching staff and players. Players and Front Offices. Let's see if anyone gets signed in this grace period.
Yeah...What does all of this actually mean?
Are they back to business as usual?
We might have to wait for the final ruling but I am not sure.
Nope, not until the NFL tells them they can. They were prohibited BEFORE the lockout and suits ever happened.
That would actually tickle me a little bit...
The owners are planning on appealing the lock-out ruling, but they are going to sign off on a FA contract in the meanwhile?
"I'm appealing to basically have all football operations ceased.....buuuut let me sign you real quick"
k sorry for being uneducated in this situation.... so if a stay is granted, that means lockout will happen?
and if it is not granted that means we have football again?
This week could be pretty nuts. Apparently the 8th Circuit is going to rule on the stay Friday. Also known as the 2nd round of the draft.
Good news for the fans at last!
I doubt it.
I would imagine that the agents and players would be hesitant to sign a deal that might be challenged later on (by either the player/agent OR the ownership of the team).
Sign a deal now, in this "grace period," and I think it's possible that the risk is a future unhappiness on either side or maybe both sides...especially if things get whacky and NEW rules are somehow adopted that impact the terms of a deal done prior to the new rules being settled upon.
And there stands a good chance the appeals court could side with the owners.
I don't think this thing is moving along. It just has had a stop at a train station along the way to the final end destination: A new deal that has to be signed by both sides.
Just my 2 cents as I sit here and think about everything.
Maybe I'm crazy, diff thread I'm aware, but I swear there was time before...no wait...FA can't sign until a certain after a certain date. Then again if that date was after the SB...ah hell I don't know.
Wouldn't that be all time awesome? I can see Jerry or Darth Vader in OAK pulling this move. At the end of the day it is a business and screw the opposition right?
A stay menas that the lockout remains during the appeals process, if the is no stay then the NFL will have to operate as normal as possible while the court figure out the legal stuff.
PFT stays up with the details in a series of pieces, and puts forth theories and answers to some question that have been asked here.
Separate names with a comma.