Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All 'Dre wants for Christmas is the playoffs

J_R

Veteran
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/solomon/6776536.html

Is that too much to give him? :confused: ;)

The little ones ran wild through the toy store, grabbing dollhouses, remote-controlled cars, games, electronic gadgets and the like.

Baskets overflowing, the smiling youngsters headed to the cash register and waited for Andre Johnson to deliver.

As he does for the Texans on Sundays, he did just that.

This is the third year the Andre Johnson Charitable Foundation has picked up the holiday shopping spree tab for a group of youngsters chosen by Child Protective Services staff.

It is one day the kid in Johnson, 28, comes out. The Texans' star receiver, who grew up in Miami, remembers a time his family couldn't afford to buy him what he wanted for Christmas.

“I never got all I wanted for Christmas — I know how that feels — so it makes me feel good that I can make some kids' Christmas better by giving them whatever they want,” Johnson said. “It's one of the best days in the year for me. It's really, really important to me.”

As you might imagine, the youngsters at Toys R Us this week are huge Johnson fans. Huge.

Heartfelt endorsement
A darling young girl at the event gushed that Johnson is “the bestest football player in all eternity.”

She is just about right.

He is among the bestest today, and by far the bestest in Texans history.

Now able to buy whatever he wants for Christmas, what Johnson wants most — a trip to the playoffs — can't be bought.

The Texans have an outside shot at making the postseason. They basically need to win every game and have quite a few teams lose some games.

Realistically, though, Johnson knows he is about to close his seventh season in the NFL without a playoff appearance. Again.

“Oh, it's frustrating,” Johnson said. “But what can I do? I think I do all I can, but I wonder what else I can do. You just say to yourself, ‘What can I do?' ”

At some point, you might think Johnson would lash out at an organization that has made so many mistakes over the years, some of which Johnson says were obvious to him.

“There are times they do things that have me scratching my head,” Johnson said. “I can't lie about that. I mean, really scratching my head.”

“There are times I am sitting around wondering if it is ever going to happen here.

“Do I have to go to another team for it to happen?”

As frustrating as it is — as much as he wants to make the playoffs and win the Super Bowl — Johnson says right now he just can't imagine doing it in another jersey.

“You don't want to go jumping from team to team looking for it, that's crazy,” Johnson said. “There are some guys who play for a different team every other year.

“That's not me. I don't want my career to be like that.”

Texans fans appreciate that Johnson isn't like many others. He might not be the typical diva wideout, but Johnson has more personality than many know.

His friends often rag him about the too-sweet persona he has been given because they know he talks a lot more than people realize. Opponents know it too.

Still, Johnson's game speaks loudest.

He leads the NFL in receiving yards with 1,237 (on 81 catches), and is primed to become the first to do so in consecutive seasons since Jerry Rice in 1994-95.

Johnson has 13 10-catch, 100-yard games in his career, which according to ESPN Stats and Information ties him for third (with Tim Brown) in the NFL since the 1970 merger, behind Jerry Rice (15) and Marvin Harrison (14).

Spectacular numbers
Sunday at St. Louis will be Johnson's 100th game as a pro. Rice played in 303 games, Harrison 190 and Brown 255.

With his next touchdown grab Johnson will break his team record for scores in a season.

If you don't know, you should ask. Johnson is on the short list of the greatest athletes in Houston sports history.

The stats don't mean that much to him.

Johnson agrees with Bill Belichick, who this week said, “Stats are for losers.”

“Numbers are great, but everybody wants to win, that's the reason we play,” Johnson said. “Coming to a new franchise, I knew that it wasn't going to be perfect, but man, I thought it would be better sooner.

“Then again, that has kept me motivated and wanting to be here. You don't want to leave and then it happens.

“Then I'd be upset that I put so much into this organization and then it would just all backfire when the Texans make the playoffs and I'm somewhere else.

“There are definitely times you think about all the scenarios, but right now I don't think I'll be going anywhere else … right now.

“Of course you can go into the offseason, wake up and see that you've been traded.”

Johnson was smiling when he said that. Hey Dre', that's not funny.

The Texans have made many mistakes, but no way they would trade the bestest.
Some interesting quotes in there..

TexCanada

All Pro
Looks like losing AJ is a very realistic possibility if we don't make playoffs next season. Can't really blame the guy.

hookinreds

Veteran
AJ is better than EF Hutton...when the quite man talks, people just don't listen they react. I think this is AJ's way to making his displeasure with personell and onfield decisions. Lot's of players/fans can ***** all day every day until it just becomes white noise. I think this is AJs way of doing a mic check. CHECK BABY CHECK BABY 1...2...3

I think this less about AJ than it is just him putting his John Hancock out there for the FO to see.

TexCanada

All Pro
AJ is better than EF Hutton...when the quite man talks, people just don't listen they react. I think this is AJ's way to making his displeasure with personell and onfield decisions. Lot's of players/fans can ***** all day every day until it just becomes white noise. I think this is AJs way of doing a mic check. CHECK BABY CHECK BABY 1...2...3

I think this less about AJ than it is just him putting his John Hancock out there for the FO to see.
I like this theory. Like you said, when a man of few words says something, people listen.

mussop

Hall of Fame
“There are times they do things that have me scratching my head,” Johnson said. “I can't lie about that. I mean, really scratching my head.”

“There are times I am sitting around wondering if it is ever going to happen here.

Pretty telling statements!!! Bring in Cowher now before anymore of Johnsons career is wasted or he decides enough is enough. He deserves better than Kubiak.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame

Pretty telling statements!!! Bring in Cowher now before anymore of Johnsons career is wasted or he decides enough is enough. He deserves better than Kubiak.
He deserved better than Capers and he deserves better than Kubiak. Funny how people don't realize that if you keep a coach to long your top veteran players will end up wanting out. I'm really surprised that AJ didn't askt to be traded a while back honestly. If he asked for a trade in the off season I wouldn't criticize him one bit.

utahmark

markbeth

“You don't want to go jumping from team to team looking for it, that's crazy,” Johnson said. “There are some guys who play for a different team every other year.

“Then again, that has kept me motivated and wanting to be here. You don't want to leave and then it happens.

“Then I'd be upset that I put so much into this organization and then it would just all backfire when the Texans make the playoffs and I'm somewhere else

“There are definitely times you think about all the scenarios, but right now I don't think I'll be going anywhere else … right now.

sounds like he's never leaving to me.

mussop

Hall of Fame

“Then I'd be upset that I put so much into this organization and then it would just all backfire when the Texans make the playoffs and I'm somewhere else

sounds like he's never leaving to me.
Right now anyway.

drewmar74

disgruntled
He deserved better than Capers and he deserves better than Kubiak. Funny how people don't realize that if you keep a coach to long your top veteran players will end up wanting out. I'm really surprised that AJ didn't askt to be traded a while back honestly. If he asked for a trade in the off season I wouldn't criticize him one bit.
Agreed.

This is his 7th season, IIRC. He's in his prime. If we don't make the playoffs this year (or WHEN we don't make the playoffs) I'll bet AJ will be watching very closely to see what moves the team makes. If they don't load up on some talent to make a run, I'd be wanting to get moved to a contender. NFL careers are too short not to.

Hell, that's what I would do.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Watch out, AJ, uber-fan might call you fairweather! :shades:

Sounds to me like he really wants to win as a Houston Texan, but he's also just tired of losing.

I hope the dude retires as a Texan, but only if that is after lots of success. Otherwise, I'd hate to see a HoF player use up his career on a perpetual .500 franchise.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Earl Cambell and A.J.

Playing for Houston. Good ****ing luck. I hope it works out for you. I really do.

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
Don't let fan boy McClain read any of this, he already exclaimed that AJ had an "impassioned plea" for Kubes to stay.

Pantherstang84

@rolisrgti06
AJ is asking what more can he do?

How about running the right route on a timing play so his QB doesn't get charged with a INT?

How about not getting a bad case of the dropsies during the 4 game losing streak?

There is no player blameless during the Texan's 4 week meltdown and these McChin fluff pieces do not help.

imatexan

All Pro

How about running the right route on a timing play so his QB doesn't get charged with a INT?

How about not getting a bad case of the dropsies during the 4 game losing streak?

There is no player blameless during the Texan's 4 week meltdown and these McChin fluff pieces do not help.
Except for Andre Johnson.

Who puts his heart and body on the line every single week.

Never complains.

Never asks for the ball more.

All he does is show his amazing talent and try to put the Texans in the best possible position to win the game.

You have and will always be the man Dre.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

during thoes colts games everyone was at fault

But Andre is human he does make mastikes every now and then

but when AJ is tripled i dont thik we should throw to him its just to risky unless he just wide ass open

some of thoes 4th Q colts game throws to andre were just to risky esp when i easliy seen Leech wide open for miles and able to get a 1st down easy

eriadoc

Texan-American

WTF? Of the 53 men on the team and several dozen in the FO and coaching staff, AJ is just about at the bottom of the list in terms of blame. I say "just about" because I don't know ... maybe the kid that runs out and grabs the tee after kickoff has really been killing it and we don't know.

Everyone makes mistakes. AJ makes so few these days that when he does, they stand out. He's so far down the blame list it's not even funny.

Sounds like his uncle may not have been that far off base saying he'd consider another team...
I don't think there's anything to worry about as far as Andre leaving anytime soon. I'm pretty sure he's locked in for another four years after this one. The Texans will have at least gotten to the SB by then, so it's a mute point.

Pantherstang84

@rolisrgti06
WTF? Of the 53 men on the team and several dozen in the FO and coaching staff, AJ is just about at the bottom of the list in terms of blame. I say "just about" because I don't know ... maybe the kid that runs out and grabs the tee after kickoff has really been killing it and we don't know.

Everyone makes mistakes. AJ makes so few these days that when he does, they stand out. He's so far down the blame list it's not even funny.
Hey. You want to point fingers then be willing to look at everyone critically. We are quick to throw the coaching staff overboard but players have to make the plays. AJ had a couple of stinky games during that stretch along with everyone else on that team and to not acknowledge that and see it is just plain denial. When the poop hits the fan, your big time players have to step up and take the game over.

gary

Hall of Fame
Agreed.

This is his 7th season, IIRC. He's in his prime. If we don't make the playoffs this year (or WHEN we don't make the playoffs) I'll bet AJ will be watching very closely to see what moves the team makes. If they don't load up on some talent to make a run, I'd be wanting to get moved to a contender. NFL careers are too short not to.

Hell, that's what I would do.
The talent is there but the health and the coaching isn't. Neither are the calls.

False Start

On # 69
All Carl Landry wants for Christmas is his 3 front teeth. :fingergun:

Anyways, I'm not sweating what Dre said. The guy is just speaking his mind. Hell, hes been here 7 years, I don't blame the guy. I really do hope he can eventually make it to playoffs, he deserves it. He goes about his business, and is not a diva. Hes what I would want my son (if I had one,lol) to be like when he grew up, just a great person....... and making millions of dollars a year would be cool too.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Hey. You want to point fingers then be willing to look at everyone critically. We are quick to throw the coaching staff overboard but players have to make the plays. AJ had a couple of stinky games during that stretch along with everyone else on that team and to not acknowledge that and see it is just plain denial. When the poop hits the fan, your big time players have to step up and take the game over.
The only thing stinky here is this logic. its like blaming a .360 hitter for not hitting .400. That said, the Texans are fiddling while Andre is aging. We are all sitting here watch the Texans waste his time to shine since the playoffs are where players really make their reputations and their league legacies.

Pantherstang84

@rolisrgti06
The only thing stinky here is this logic. its like blaming a .360 hitter for not hitting .400. That said, the Texans are fiddling while Andre is aging. We are all sitting here watch the Texans waste his time to shine since the playoffs are where players really make their reputations and their league legacies.
I disagree. Look AJ is the best WR in the NFL no question. However, even he has flaws. I don't think the great players in the history of the NFL have whined, "What more can I do?" Step up or shut up! That applies to every man on the roster, every coach and the entire front office.

Botton line... I don't want to hear any whining from anyone at One Reliant Park. Just shut up and do it already.

Reactions: J_R

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Dont feel to bad some of the great WR today have also never been to the playoffs or won a SB ring yet

Calvin Johnson

Marques Colston

Ohco Cinco

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Dont feel to bad some of the great WR today have also never been to the playoffs or won a SB ring yet

Calvin Johnson

Marques Colston

Ohco Cinco
Both Colston and Ocho Dumbo have been in the playoffs. And are in for a return performance this season.

AJ said:
Piss-poor reporting in not asking Andre to elaborate on this statement. Oh, it's The Chronic? Well, that's par for the course.

Last edited: