All CBs not named Nnamdi Thread - Free Agency & Texans

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by nero THE zero, Jul 20, 2011.

1. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

According to LZ:

2. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

We should be able to buy one of them

3. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

Not according to what I just heard from John Mclain on 610am. He said if the cap is at $120m then the Texans will be right at the cap already. They will need to cut and restructure contracts before even trying to resign their own players.

After hearing that, I'm not to optimistic that the Texans make a huge splash in FA.

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Would be nice if McClain would give his source for the Texans salaries or where he gets the $120m. I gave an example in my post on the cap with first 3 cuts I listed that 9 million could be saved.

5. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

If you take what LZ and what Mclain are saying, then we are probably seeing the writing on the wall for Leach and the opportunity for Casey to come on. Remember Casey is a Kubiak pick and you know he wants that pick to work. I just think that in a season in which your preseason is going to be cut short, this is a wrong move if so.

On the other hand, I'm more willing to believe LZ vs. Mclain because LZ has proven to be more right than John in recent transactions.

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I thought Leach was added to the roster under Kubes?

7. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I thought I read somewhere that teams may be able to specify one player next season and get $3MM reduced of their cap hit (only for cap calculation purposes). The following year it would be 3 players at $1.5MM each. Something like that.

A #1 CB is what is needed for this team and I would take Asomugha, Joseph and Taylor in that order. Marshall is not a #1 corner but would be a great signing if we needed a #2 or so. He could easily be who we end up with but I would be slightly disappointed with that. Aso/Joseph would be the splash. Taylor would be a good quality signing. Marshall is a last resort to attempt to fill a need.

Not surprising that Cromartie would not be on our radar. He's overrated and definitely doesn't fit with the character of players we want.

FWIW: LZ first reported we had an interest in Ike Taylor MONTHS ago. Like January/February timeframe.

8. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

As a FA, not as a draft pick though. And Leach was primarily brought in because Mike Sherman wanted him. So Kubiak has less fingerprints on Leach than he does on Casey, and the big reason for selecting him was because if his versatility to deep snap, play FB, receiver, TE and even QB.

9. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

And he has connections to Pittsburgh. I'd like Taylor, especially for our scheme.

10. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

Ike Taylor is the most likely to be signed by the Texans. He will go for less money than Aso or Joseph, and the Steelers will be over the cap at the start of free agency if it is 120 million.

11. nero THE zero

I used to be a big Taylor fan. Now, not so much.

He's old, he's not outstanding in any facet of the game, and he is a veteran Steeler defender.

I just think he'd cause more problems than he'd solve over the course of the next 3-4 years.

12. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

13. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

That's pretty freakin enlightening man.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Expect Slaton and 0k0ye to be released .... any other dead weight too.

Like I said in the thread on Leach , Smith is gonna earn his keep in this FA period .... or we'll be in for a long season.

15. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Sorry but, who is the Marshall guy they are talking about?

16. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Question, what happens if you are over the cap? Looks like there are going to be a few teams who are in some trouble is the cap stays at $120 million.

LOL @ the Cards! This is the only team that can afford Aso.

Arizona $83 million
    Atlanta $102.1 million
    Baltimore $101.3 million
    Buffalo $96.4 million
    Carolina $73 million
    Chicago $104.9 million
    Cincinnati $90.7 million
    Cleveland $99.2 million
    Dallas $136.6 million
    Denver $125 million
    Detroit $113.8 million
    Green Bay $129.8 million
    Houston $118.4 million
    Indianapolis $115.5 million
    Jacksonville $78.1 million
    Kansas City $74.7 million
    Miami $103.1 million
    Minnesota $108.4 million
    New England $102.3 million
    New Orleans $105.2 million
    New York Giants $126.3 million
    New York Jets $128.5 million
    Oakland $85.8 million
    Philadelphia $80.8 million
    Pittsburgh $116 million
    San Diego $85.8 million
    San Francisco $100.9 million
    Seattle $81.1 million
    St. Louis $102.4 million
    Tampa Bay $59.7 million
    Tennessee $107.4 million
    Washington $115.2 million
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/37327/looking-at-2011-salary-cap-figures

17. GP

GP Go Texans!

Leach has to be gone. Okoye, IIRC, only saves us maybe between 1 and 2 mill correct? At least I think that was what he stood to make this year. Maybe I'm wrong.

It'd be nice if a few Texans were lining up at McNair's door to donate some blood (re-structure their contracts), to get Aso or a good CB/S combination here. Time to see if they want a real chance at a 3-to-4 year playoff run.

I don't think we can afford the guy even if we made cuts. Any cap gurus here?

18. nero THE zero

Is there a reason for the sarcasm or am I off-base for not having a 31 year old CB, who is average in coverage, and is playing on a team that is historically known for their free agents under-performing on other teams at the top of my wish list? Especially when there are some other free agents who are considerably more attractive (i.e. the best CB in the league and a 26 and 27 year old cornerback who are both better in coverage).

19. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Ike Taylor is very old for the position, and has been kind of a system guy anyways.

20. GP

GP Go Texans!

How in the hell can the Bucs be at $60 million???? WTH? That's HALF of ours.

Man, after seeing this--unless I am misinterpreting things--the Eagles, the Chargers, the Bucs, the Cardinals, and possibly either Chiefs/Seahawks have the room (about $40 million, except Bucs who have $60 million) to get Aso.

Unless the Bucs just have like 50 players to re-sign...they could haul in a HUGE number of free agents.

This has to be a deal of some teams having a lot of free agents to re-sign on their own rosters. Please, God, tell me that the Bucs just have a lot of contracts that are up for renewal.