Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All Cal First Day

Doubt it happens, but at least your thinking outside the box. Personally, Id rather have Brandon Mebane there in the 3rd, Ive liked what Ive seen from him so far.

you could also go florida...

1. Reggie Nelson FS Florida
2. Earl Everett OLB Florida
3. Marcus Thomas DT FLorida
4. Chris Leak QB Flordia
5. DeShawn Wynn RB Florida

Or Louisville....

1) Brohm
2) Okoye
3) that WR that was tearing it up tonight...starts with an H? or W.Gay the CB.

Ohio State has a couple of sleepers.

UT could have Justin Blaylock, Aaron Ross, Michael Griffin, and Frank Okam. IMO, Blaylock and Okam are the only ones deserving of a first day pick.

Or Louisville....

1) Brohm
2) Okoye
3) that WR that was tearing it up tonight...starts with an H? or W.Gay the CB.

William Gay improved his stock last night, the senior CB had 5 tackles, a couple break-ups and a crucial INT (looked fluid) :snobord:

1. Brohm QB
2. Okoye DL/Bush RB
3. Gay CB
4. Doouglas WR
5. Nate Harris OLB
6. Kolby Smith RB
7. Renardo Foster OT

William Gay improved his stock last night, the senior CB had 5 tackles, a couple break-ups and a crucial INT (looked fluid) :snobord:

Yeah, I thought he looked great!!! He was always around the ball, seemed to have good speed, and is a tall physical CB who I would like to see us get in the 3rd round if availiable.

the problem is that gay was facing some pretty slow wake forest receivers, so it's tough to guage how good he really is.

the problem is that gay was facing some pretty slow wake forest receivers, so it's tough to guage how good he really is.

What round do you project him to go in? And do you have a report to give on him? And otherwise who do you think is the best 3rd round grade CB that will be availiable? If ya don't mind....

Would be pretty funny for an Aggie head coach to draft all Cal players the first day. But maybe not surprising as I'm sure he watched the Holday Bowl -

Marshawn lynch, Daymeion Hughes, Andrew Cameron in rounds one, two, and three. Just a thought.

We had better trade down 7-10 picks if we're going to take Marshawn Lynch in the 1st round. There are also 4-5 other CBs that I've seen so far that I like better than Hughes, but he's still an upgrade over Faggins. If we're going along with this all-Cal draft then I'd look for Mebane in the 3rd round.

Doubt it happens, but at least your thinking outside the box. Personally, Id rather have Brandon Mebane there in the 3rd, Ive liked what Ive seen from him so far.

Agreed, from what I've seen I like Mebane pretty well and would consider him in the 3rd round or later.

Why? Lynch is a legit top 10 pick and some scouts believe he could be a better pro prospect than AP

I don't buy that at all. I haven't seen as much of him as I have of AP to this point, but I don't put them in the same class at all at this point, maybe if he has a phenomenal workout but I just don't see it. I don't like him at #8 anyways, there will be too many other people likely available there that I'd prefer (Leon Hall, LaRon Landry to name a few, likely more by the time the draft comes around).

I don't buy that at all. I haven't seen as much of him as I have of AP to this point, but I don't put them in the same class at all at this point, maybe if he has a phenomenal workout but I just don't see it. I don't like him at #8 anyways, there will be too many other people likely available there that I'd prefer (Leon Hall, LaRon Landry to name a few, likely more by the time the draft comes around).

Lynch will be a terrific RB, fits Kubiaks system & runs with a much better lean/angle to Petersons upright style, hence should enjoy enhanced longevity :ok:

k057ahdz.jpg
vs.
cal-bears-bowl-game_img_252.jpg

Lynch will be a terrific RB, fits Kubiaks system & runs with a much better lean/angle to Petersons upright style, hence should enjoy enhanced longevity :ok:

Not to mention he's about four times the receiver the AP is.

All these people bagging on Lynch without ever seeing him play make me laugh.

If you haven't seen much of him, then how do you know he isn't in the same class as Peterson? Because he is not from Texas?

Lynch is so bad that in his worst season he averaged 6.1 yards per carry. I wish we had players as bad as that.

My biggest hang-up with AP has been his injuries. Lynch might be a good alternative and the weapon that Carr needs. However, IMO I think Lynch coming out early means he thinks he has the most potential for the biggest dividend. I am sure he is shooting for a top-10 pick. Since the Texans don't have big bucks to spend this year, I don't expect a flashy signing.

My biggest hang-up with AP has been his injuries. Lynch might be a good alternative and the weapon that Carr needs. However, IMO I think Lynch coming out early means he thinks he has the most potential for the biggest dividend. I am sure he is shooting for a top-10 pick. Since the Texans don't have big bucks to spend this year, I don't expect a flashy signing.[/quote

Whether they sign Lynch or anyone else at the 8th slot, it will make little difference as the money is pretty well set by the guy ahead, the guy behind and what was paid last year. There is some wiggle room from slot to slot for different positions, but not a whole lot. The only ones that can get any sort of out of the box wiggle are QBs.

Not to mention he's about four times the receiver the AP is.

All these people bagging on Lynch without ever seeing him play make me laugh.

Being able to catch the ball is not especially important for RBs in our offense, so while Lynch is better than Peterson in that area, it does not overly swing the grade in Lynch's favor. Peterson is a perfect fit for our system and is worthy of a top 5 pick and we can only hope he falls to us, Lynch will not go in the top 10.

Lynch's stats for those who don't watch him play that often, but are convinved he isn't as good as Peterson.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=163361

And remember Lynch does not get all of his teams carries like AP.

AP's stats just for comparison.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=161717

Lynch's career stats: 490 carries, 3230 yards, 6.6 yards per carry, 29 TDs, 68 catches, 600 yards, 6 TDs

Peterson's career stats: 747 carries, 4045 yards, 5.4 yards per carry, 41 TDs, 24 catches, 198 yards, 1 TD.

Let's not forget that Peterson's freshman season he set an NCAA freshman record with 1925 yards and was 2nd in Heisman voting.

Being able to catch the ball is not especially important for RBs in our offense, so while Lynch is better than Peterson in that area, it does not overly swing the grade in Lynch's favor. Peterson is a perfect fit for our system and is worthy of a top 5 pick and we can only hope he falls to us, Lynch will not go in the top 10.

Lynch's career stats: 490 carries, 3230 yards, 6.6 yards per carry, 29 TDs, 68 catches, 600 yards, 6 TDs

Peterson's career stats: 747 carries, 4045 yards, 5.4 yards per carry, 41 TDs, 24 catches, 198 yards, 1 TD.

Let's not forget that Peterson's freshman season he set an NCAA freshman record with 1925 yards and was 2nd in Heisman voting.
Lynch has the fresher legs.

I think being a good receiver out of the back field is a big part of our offense. Especially with a weak offensive line. Considering that 75 of Carr's and Rosenfels' 329 completions went to RB's and FB's (22.3%), I would say that having a RB who can catch the ball is important.

So Lynch finished with about 400 less yards from scrimmage and 7 touchdowns less in his career, but did it with 213 less touches.

Lynch
3230 Rushing Yards 490 Rushes 29 Touchdowns
600 Receiving Yards 68 Receptions 6 Touchdowns
---------------------------------------------
3830 Total Yards 558 Touches 35 Touchdowns

He averaged 6.86 yards per touch and a touchdown every 15.94 touch

Peterson
4045 Rushing Yards 747 Rushes 41 Touchdowns
198 Receiving Yards 24 Receptions 1 Touchdowns
----------------------------------------------
4243 Total Yards 771 Touches 42 Touchdowns

He averaged 5.50 yards per touch and a touchdown every 18.36 touch

If Lynch had as many touches as Peterson than he would've had 5289 total yards and 48 touchdowns.
If Peterson had as few as touches as Lynch than he would've had 3069 total yards and 30 touchdowns.

Simply put, Lynch is more explosive and more versatile than Peterson.

I think being a good receiver out of the back field is a big part of our offense. Especially with a weak offensive line. Considering that 75 of Carr's and Rosenfels' 329 completions went to RB's and FB's (22.3%), I would say that having a RB who can catch the ball is important.

So Lynch finished with about 400 less yards from scrimmage and 7 touchdowns less in his career, but did it with 213 less touches.

Lynch
3230 Rushing Yards 490 Rushes 29 Touchdowns
600 Receiving Yards 68 Receptions 6 Touchdowns
---------------------------------------------
3830 Total Yards 558 Touches 35 Touchdowns

He averaged 6.86 yards per touch and a touchdown every 15.94 touch

Peterson
4045 Rushing Yards 747 Rushes 41 Touchdowns
198 Receiving Yards 24 Receptions 1 Touchdowns
----------------------------------------------
4243 Total Yards 771 Touches 42 Touchdowns

He averaged 5.50 yards per touch and a touchdown every 18.36 touch

If Lynch had as many touches as Peterson than he would've had 5289 total yards and 48 touchdowns.
If Peterson had as few as touches as Lynch than he would've had 3069 total yards and 30 touchdowns.

Simply put, Lynch is more explosive and more versatile than Peterson.

I wouldn't say Lynch is more explosive than Peterson, and stats can't say that anyways, and you can't assume that if Lynch had another 200 carries that he would have still averaged the same number of yards. Peterson had to grind out a lot more tough yards and is capable of doing so, not to mention he played in the Big 12, and while they've been a little off par the last two years they're still better than the Pac 10.

I wouldn't say Lynch is more explosive than Peterson, and stats can't say that anyways, and you can't assume that if Lynch had another 200 carries that he would have still averaged the same number of yards. Peterson had to grind out a lot more tough yards and is capable of doing so, not to mention he played in the Big 12, and while they've been a little off par the last two years they're still better than the Pac 10.

During the timespan of Peterson and Lynch I don't know if you can say that the Big 12 is necessarily better than the Pac 10. I think they are pretty comparable in fact. They both have 1 or 2 elite teams at the top of the conference and a lot of weak teams after that.

I realize that I would have to adjust the additional carries and probably should have accounted for that, but it would take to long to adjust the incremental carries and would have to make a lot more estimates.

While stats may not show that Lynch is not more explosive (although you could make that argument considering his yards per touch and touches per touchdown), they do show that he is every bit as explosive as Peterson.

As stated previously Lynch has split time with another RB his entire career at Cal while AP has been the receipant of the vast magority of his teams carries when healthy.

And before anybody says it, Lynch doesn't split time because he isn't good enough, it's part of Tedford's O.

As for the ability to catch the ball out of the backfeild, go ask San Deigo if they don't think it is a huge assest to LTs game. If nothing more then it is one more thing the D has to gameplan for and be ready to react to.

Hey hey guys! Here's an idea... We could have an all Aggie draft!!! Man that would be super. We could take Justin Warren, Melvin Bullett, and Courtney Lewis in rounds 1, 2, and 3!!!! Yeah we would be awesome!!!

:sarcasm:

Holy Smokes! Some how, some way we have a 2 page thread that wasn't turned into a DC rant. WOW!

Good video. Lynch shows good speed, balance and power. He also caught a couple of nice passes.

Back