Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Alexander's Future in Seattle?

"For the second time this week, the Seattle Seahawks have landed a free agent running back. NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the team reached an agreement Friday night with former Cowboys running back Julius Jones.

Details of the contract's length and terms are still unclear. Both the Jones camp and the Seahawks are being tight lipped due to the sensitivity of the deal. This week, the Seahawks have signed former Lions running back T.J. Duckett and have now landed Jones, leaving less room in the backfield and on the team's salary cap for former NFL MVP Shaun Alexander and/or Seahawks running back Maurice Morris."
http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story?id=09000d5d807189a4&template=without-video&confirm=true

After signing that huge contract, he really hasn't done much. Could his days in Seattle be numbered? He's certainly not living up to his current contract.

drewmar74

disgruntled
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

SHAUN'S RELEASE LOOMING?

Prior to free agency, the Eagles staunchly denied rumors that cornerback Lito Sheppard was on the trading block. Once they reeled in cornerback Asante Samuel, Sheppard was (you guessed it) on the trading block.

That same dynamic likely has played out in Seattle. Rumors circulated during the Scouting Combine that the Seahawks were poised to dump running back Shaun Alexander, the 2005 NFL MVP. The Seahawks wouldn't even acknowledge the rumors.

And now that they've signed T.J. Duckett and Julius Jones to eight-figure deals, that figures to change. As John Clayton of ESPN.com observes, "The Seahawks decided to keep Alexander until they found replacements and now they have two potential replacements."

Think of it this way -- would Jones have picked Seattle over Detroit if he didn't have a pretty good inkling that he'd have a shot at meaningful playing time with the Seahawks? With the Lions, Julius Jones arguably would have been in a great position to leapfrog starter Kevin Jones. Our guess is that Julius Jones has been told that he simply won't have to worry about Alexander in Seattle.

drewmar74

disgruntled
So I guess the $64,000 question is:

Where will he land if he's released?

I'm just sincerely hoping and praying that its not here. I really, really, really, don't want another retread at RB.

texanmojo

Shotgun 30 Time
I'm just sincerely hoping and praying that its not here. I really, really, really, don't want another retread at RB.
He's probably the best retread out there...probably a safer moove than Green as our RB...

I'd take him if the price was right.

Houston TexanUK

Practice Squad
Once he got paid he wasn't the same player anymore.
Once he lost Steve Hutchinson he wasnt the same player, is more like it.
losing someone of SH's calibre blocking for you would effect any RB, plus Injuries have ruined his last 2 seasons...
That being said, I wouldnt touch him.

Mo Morris would interest me more, that guy is a firecracker.

drewmar74

disgruntled
I do not think it was money that caused his decline but look at all the milage on those tires. He had a lot of carries and is just starting to break down, just like Green.
Agreed.

He's definitely got some of the belting showing through the tread.

I'd think he's probably not going to want to go somewhere for the veteran minimum as a FA.

Think the 'Hawks want to trade him? Does he have any value?