Alex Gibbs to Seattle

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by cland, Jan 12, 2010.

1. cland

cland Veteran

Alex Gibbs is heading to Seattle to coach Pete Carroll's offensive line... Glad we're adding Dennison as the OC, as he's coached and replaced Gibbs as OL coach at Denver.

I'm sorry to say that Alex Gibbs record of top 10 rushing teams never came to fruition in Houston.

2. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

per McClain's chat:
    http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/

So we now need an OC, a QB coach and an O-line coach, sounds like fun.

3. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

The pickings for Lame Duck Kubiak just get slimmer.

4. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

We do not really need a OL coach... we still have Benton & Matthews

5. cland

cland Veteran

Gotcha by a second... :)

6. JWarren14

JWarren14 Beer Me

Damn, on the heels of our best season, and heading into the projected toughest schedule in the league next year.

I hope we fill these positions early so everyone is on the same page heading into the off-season schedule.

7. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I thought Gibbs was only going to coach a couple of years max and the only reason he didn't stay retired was because Kubiak lured him back.

8. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

I gotta give Texans' Marketing props on that one. I bought it, too.

9. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Money talks and I believe you know the rest.

Gibbs did wonders for us this year?

10. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

The first questions going through my head:

Will we stay with zone blocking?
    What kind of RB will we draft?
    What kind of O-lineman will we draft?
    Was Gibbs looking to get out because of the quality of our O-linemen?
    Is this an indicator of Kubiak's job security?

11. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

lol nobody circles the wagons...

12. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Wow - that one came outta left field. Quite a few on here were predicting Gibbs to Washington. Meh - as far as hiring an equal amount of assistant / postion coaches - don't we already have a coach per player? What's combining a coach position or two?

13. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I'm thrilled! thanks, but SEE YA!

Here are some thoughts about this:

1. Barrett suggested that perhaps Dennison said I'd love to work here but not as long as that ********* Gibbs is here.

2. He's going to Seattle. Since he's not going to Washington, retiring, or going to a team with a great Oline and RB... it probably indicates some differences with the direction of this team. I expect to see a little more variation in our running scheme next year.

14. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I'm kind of relieved but I now wonder and worry about our offensive line situ.

Gibbs was here two years and had a part in the "development" of such perennial greats as Casey Studdard, Mike Brisiel, and Antoine Caldwell. He was the guy who supposedly wanted Duane Brown and while I don't know if he was involved in going to get Myers he arrived here at about the same time and has coached him ever since Myers got here.

What's the real common thread with all those guys? They're all young and Alex Gibbs has had a lot to do with them. What's the problem here? You would think that if Gibbs desired to continue coaching he'd want to turn these guys, "his guys" into the running monster-machine he loves so much. Instead he's cutting out of town to go to Seattle? To work for Pete Carroll? Are you kidding me?

I feel like this is either a really good sign or a really bad one and I'm not accustomed to seeing a lot of good signs around the general area of my Houston Texans.

I'd very much like to believe that Gibbs is pulling a "My work here is done." move instead of a "Time to get while the getting is good" move. Shanahan heading to Washington (yes I know his dad is coaching there) so quick and now Gibbs going to Seattle smacks of rats fleeing a sinking ship. It may not be that and it's most likely not that but it sure looks like it. Next Rhodes will retire and kick back, David Gibbs will get out of his deal to go coach with his daddy in Seattle (and we'll let him because we're such good guys) and then they'll turn around and sign Pollard away from us.

I got a sick feeling about this for some reason.

Cjeremy635 likes this.
  15. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Good move for Pete Carrol. Nice, experienced coach for a fairly inexperienced NFL head coach.

16. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Okay so Benton has been the O-line coach since August 2007, what are the thoughts on the job he has done so far? Sacks have gone down, but the running game is still. . . uh, anemic?

I don't think Bruce Matthews has much of an impact on how our line performs.

You know Carrol has coached in some capacity in the NFL for 16 years right?

17. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Perhaps you would bolt too if the best lineman your team could come up with in 3 years was Duane Brown. Myers, Casey Studdard and Mike Brisiel? How do you make make a gourmet meal out of ground turkey meat?

18. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

I understand what you mean. I don't really want to be a cynic about it and would prefer to just blow it off as not a big deal. But, these are the Texans we're talking about, and the Texans have not allowed us to relax about anything. EVER.

My fear is that these coaches are looking at next year and seeing what I see: 8-8 or 9-7 at best. They know that either record will mean a massive housecleaning.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope none of this means anything, and we can just move forward with planning for the Draft. I think we will be able to tell a lot after the guy from Denver makes his decision.

19. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

Can he take our 3.5 ypc on the season with him?

Seriously though, I know hes a great coach with a fantastic resume but as long as we get Dennison I don't think this moves hurts us at all. 1 less cook in the kitchen might actually help. Only one way to go as far as the running game is concerned anyway. Good luck to Gibbs in Seattle.

20. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I'd pair it with a glass half full of good wine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk