Alec Lemon on IR

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TEXANRED, Aug 28, 2013.

1. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

2. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

3. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

How does this work out money-wise? What's the benefit of Lemon allowing the Texans to place him on IR instead of allowing him to look for work elsewhere? He seemed to flash enough talent to get some looks elsewhere.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

For the most part , it guarantee's his contract for the season , he may or may not get a deal with another team .... Being an UDFA , the safe bet is to take the $$ and sit.
    He'll spend a year with the team .... giving him the time to absorb the offense and have a solid shot at making next years 53.

5. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

That makes sense and also explains why I don't gamble. I rarely take the safe bet. :D

So he gets the rookie minimum for his time on IR? I mean, there has to be some kind of financial reward for this.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I don't know how much his contract was to begin with , but most likely a rookie min deal. That's something like $470k I believe ... If he likes the situation here and his chances to make the roster next season I can see why he went that route.

7. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

The reward is that he gets a guaranteed paycheck for a year while taking no risk of real injury by playing also giving him time to really learn our system and put him that much further ahead for next year. If released he also runs the chance that no one picks him up, no paycheck. I really like this move and like what I saw from Lemon in preseason. Our new found depth at WR should remove the position from our list of needs in the 2014 draft.

8. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Allowing the Texans? Lemon is under contract with the Texans. He can either accept going on IR or retire. Not much of a choice.

9. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Plus he get's the medical coverage; ok not like our staff has an outstanding record but beats not having any while recovering from that "right hamstring injury".

10. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Great for management, but that sucks for the union guy, and I'm a confirmed union-hater. Honestly, that really is an injustice. I dunno, is this the way its always been, or something else found in the new CBA ?
    Wonder what the definition is for an injury to meet the level of qualifying for being "IR", and how is that verified by the league ?

11. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

For all we know Lemon is extatic he is still with the team.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

What's so bad about a fringe player who may or may not have a season long roster spot getting a full seasons NFL salary ?!?

Who's to say he would perform the same in a different offense .. he could be a system player , not to take anything away from the guy cause he has found himself open a hell of a lot.

13. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I can't fathom the idea that this is "bad" for him. It means, tangibly, that he is getting paid a nice salary for at least the next 16 weeks and, intangibly, that an NFL team thinks enough of him to subvert the rules to keep him around.

Sounds like damn nice situation to be in to me.

14. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

Can't they pull him off IR during the year? If so, that is a great way squirrel away a great player...

15. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

The current CBA changed nothing in regard to how IR works, nor how the contracts of players being placed on IR are handled. Lemon's getting the full amount his one year contract stipulated, and the Texans maintain his rights for the remainder of the league year. While there are some instances where I could understand an accusation of injustice regarding NFL contracts, I don't comprehend why this would be one of them.

16. 2012Champs

2012Champs Hall of Fame

The NFL and NFLPA agreed last year to a change for the IR allowing a team to pull a single player off IR under certain scenarios and allow them to play

17. ChampionTexan

They can't. A team can have a player return from injured reserve during the year, but that is limited to one player per year per team, and that player must be designated as eligible to return at the time he's placed on injured reserve. That designation also can't be used until after the final cutdown (to 53) is completed.

18. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

They can designate one player to pull off of IR.

http://russellstreetreport.com/cap-glossary/

19. ChampionTexan

I'm aware of that, but that wasn't part of the CBA negotiated in 2011. There's also nothing in that agreement that impacts Lemon's situation.

20. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

They could but its doubtful. IR players are generally unable to practice with the team. The theory is if you are on IR, you are hurt and cannot practice. Normally the practice of pulling a player off the IR would be for a veteran who got hurt early and is coming back, such as Terrell Suggs.

Lemon is a rook who has not gotten any significant first team reps. It is highly doubtful he would go from there to playing on the team.