Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

AJ:Would the Texans consider trading Sage to the Jets?

Wolf

100% Texan
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2009m2d13-Sage-to-the-Jets

So I was sitting here last night, and out of the corner of my eye I see Sage Rosenfels highlights being shown on NFL Network during a discussion on the New York Jets quarterback situation.

Isn't off-season speculation fun?

I have no idea where that came from other than with Brett Favre gone, the Jets are left with Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff, and Erik Ainge under center.

Combine that with it being a really bad year to be in the quarterback market and you're left with... trade talk.

For the record, the other QB discussed in the piece was Cleveland's Derek Anderson.

Last season, the Sage trade talk centered around a purported deal in the works between the Texans and the Vikings.
But how real is that kind of talk? Probably not very real at all.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
Last year I was very hot to make the move if the Vikings sweeten the offer just a tad. This year a guy I had rated as a second day sixth round "put him in the bank and see what happens" prospect back in October, Josh Freeman has worked himself into the bottom of the first round guy. Not me saying that it's all the draft gurus. All of them. I don't know what that tells you. Tells me there's not a whole heck of a lot of QBs out there. So How's Alex Brink doing ?

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
In that 4 game win streak we all enjoyed, Sage won two of them. I know I know, he also lost 3 in a row for us and had the Rosencopter incident. However, until Matt can show that he is able to go a full season, I'm not ready to part with a QB who can come in and still enable the team to have faith in the QB position.

Malloy

Hall of Fame
Short of the Rosencopter incident, Sage has been a nice backup for us. Also, I do not think that the Rosencopter incident will mean a whole lot to his chances of getting traded, everyone should be able to see that it was a mental error, him trying waaaay too hard. That stuff can be coached away.

BigBull17

Hall of Fame
In that 4 game win streak we all enjoyed, Sage won two of them. I know I know, he also lost 3 in a row for us and had the Rosencopter incident. However, until Matt can show that he is able to go a full season, I'm not ready to part with a QB who can come in and still enable the team to have faith in the QB position.
There is zero faith in Sage as the QB. He blew it last year. Get what you can for him now.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
AJ is untradeable, but he could move if he wanted and write elsewhere. I can't see him moving based on his passion for Houston football.
LOL!

I think the Texans will want more than the Jets would want to give up. Rosenchoke had bad season, but he's still one of the better back-ups in the league. With the uncertainty of Schaub staying healthy for an entire season I don't think Sage will be going any where this year. Unless of course, a team's dumb enough to offer up a 2 or maybe a 3.

BigBull17

Hall of Fame
LOL!

I think the Texans will want more than the Jets would want to give up. Rosenchoke had bad season, but he's still one of the better back-ups in the league. With the uncertainty of Schaub staying healthy for an entire season I don't think Sage will be going any where this year. Unless of course, a team's dumb enough to offer up a 2 or maybe a 3.
If a team offered a 2nd, I would drive him there myself.

Errant Hothy

Hypermediocrity
Yeah, I'd jump on it too. Although, a team would have to be pretty desperate to offer anything less than a 4th.
Hell, I'd jump on the 4th as well.

Sage is what he is at this point; a borderline starter in the NFL who will make mistakes in an effort to win a game. Add to that he will be a free agent next year.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Hell, I'd jump on the 4th as well.

Sage is what he is at this point; a borderline starter in the NFL who will make mistakes in an effort to win a game. Add to that he will be a free agent next year.
And if Schaub goes down again this season? You think that 4th would be worth it then? I don't

Errant Hothy

Hypermediocrity
And if Schaub goes down again this season? You think that 4th would be worth it then? I don't
It's not like we wouldn't resign another back-up. With the emergence of a running game, I hope, the ability of the needed back-up is lessened. Craig Nail and a 4th rounder is greater value then Sage, in my view.

If you expect the Texans to be playoff contenders next year, you must remember that the back up QBs for playoff teams play about as much as the back-up punter.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
I would say we should have traded him last year because he had much more trade value, but Schaub got hurt last year . . again. We cannot get rid of him until we find a suitable replacement for him because I am not confident in Schaub's ability to play in 16 games a year.

Goldensilence

hipster elite
LOL!

Last year a team WAS dumb enough to offer up a third and walked on it. ( The rest of this post isn't directed towards you)

I think we could have found a suitable backup via free agency last year had we done the trade soon enough. We don't need if we get a second RB to go with Slaton we will...dare i dream a consistent running game, an all-pro receiver, and a pro bowl tight end. We just need a guy that isn't going to turn the ball over or melt down at QB.

You can tell me aww shucks but...it's Sage! Great. The same guy that wasted a big lead late in the 4th quarter that cost us a winning season. What a swell guy. Doubt we'll get anything better then the third Minnesota offered us last year so unfortunately I think he'll stay. Figure either way at least it'll spare a year of people splitting over the backup QB.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Last year a team WAS dumb enough to offer up a third and walked on it. ( The rest of this post isn't directed towards you)

I think we could have found a suitable backup via free agency last year had we done the trade soon enough. We don't need if we get a second RB to go with Slaton we will...dare i dream a consistent running game, an all-pro receiver, and a pro bowl tight end. We just need a guy that isn't going to turn the ball over or melt down at QB.

You can tell me aww shucks but...it's Sage! Great. The same guy that wasted a big lead late in the 4th quarter that cost us a winning season. What a swell guy. Doubt we'll get anything better then the third Minnesota offered us last year so unfortunately I think he'll stay. Figure either way at least it'll spare a year of people splitting over the backup QB.
I reckon his stock has dropped substantially after this season.

Look, if a team offered anything lower than a 4th, I'd be all over it. BUT, we darn well better have a replacement in line other than Brink, Boyd, Nall, etc.

badboy

Hall of Fame
There is not much to replace Sage with if he goes. However, with the roster I expect this year, if Schaub goes down, I don't think we need a great talent to compete. There is not much drop off imo from Sage to a FA pick up. Due to his cost, I lean towards keeping him. Depends on what we are offered as this is a strong draft for our needs.

My reading of the header was not trading Andre Johnson but directed to AJ who sometimes participates on MB.

brakos82

Yaters Gonna Yate.
In that 4 game win streak we all enjoyed, Sage won two of them. I know I know, he also lost 3 in a row for us and had the Rosencopter incident*. However, until Matt can show that he is able to go a full season, I'm not ready to part with a QB who can come in and still enable the team to have faith in the QB position.
* And the Ravens game, and the Browns game (except Cleveland out-sucked us :kingkong:)...

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame

Look, if a team offered anything lower than a 4th, I'd be all over it. BUT, we darn well better have a replacement in line other than Brink, Boyd, Nall, etc.
The Rosencopter isn't a state of the art, high tech machine??

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I say ship him off. Rosencopter revealed all we need to know about him as far as I'm concerned. He put himself above the team. He just had to close the game out, but instead tried to make a case to be the starter. FAIL

WesmanTexanfan

SeNior Smack
A smart team with a good Defense(cough cough, soon to be the jets) nneeds a solid QB such as a Sage Rosenfells, i would love and wouldnt be suprised if richard worked somthing out....

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
either Sage or nall goes

i dont think Kubes is keeping 3 QB's on the roster

plus one in the PS

mexican_texan

Furry Tractors
So would I, but I like Brink as the future backup. I think he has good hat-wearing technique and I think he has potential to be a good clipboard holder if we're patient with him.

Goldensilence

hipster elite

There are some option via FA at QB for backup. I think Sage knowing the playbook is a bit overrated and not a real reason to keep him around. The way the offense is built if we add another RB to the mix we don't need a backup that can be a starter in the league. Would that be a luxury? Definitely. We just need a guy who can hand the ball off and get the ball in AJ's hands.

Last year I wanted to trade Sage for the third and sign Gus Ferrotte. There's a reason why journeymen like him around this late in their careers. It's not because he's a surefire starter but the guy knows how to operate an offense viably short term.

Ironically I think the moment Sage, the past two years, accepted his role as a backup and played within himself he'd be starting somewhere else.

If Sage has trade value, then yes...I'd say trade Sage if you can get good trade value.

I'd then try and sign FA QB Chris Simms. The Texans have a lot of good/great weapons on Offense for a QB to work with. I know he hasn't had the best results in the NFL, but he has a rocket arm and I think all he needs is another chance and a fresh start. With the Texans offensive weapons, I think Simms would be a capable backup if something happened to Schaub. Simms could come cheap too.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame

Yeah and who's that going to be? They are going to have to make a QB move in the next couple of years in terms of a back up. If you're offering up the trade scenario be a man and put in replacement name out there. Not how easy you think finding someone who can come in for four or five games and give us a reasonable shot at a five hundred record if Matt goes down. Just WTF would that be in your mind ? If you won't post a name I gotta figure you don't have a clue. If that's the case just leave it alone. We know what we got in Sage.

Rep for you pound cake...you offered up a name. All you guys comfortable with Simms for four or five games ?

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I want a quality back-up, if we've got a shot to get to the Super Bowl. Saving Sage, just so he can help us get into the play-offs is goofy. If Sage can help us get an extra pick, or some help we desperately need elsewhere on the team, then I'm all for it.

I don't see Sage any one offering us anything for Sage, but if they do, we should take it.

Seriously, if Kubiak/Smith don't feel confident that Schaub can play the majority of the season, we need to move on.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
I want a quality back-up, if we've got a shot to get to the Super Bowl. Saving Sage, just so he can help us get into the play-offs is goofy. If Sage can help us get an extra pick, or some help we desperately need elsewhere on the team, then I'm all for it.

I don't see Sage any one offering us anything for Sage, but if they do, we should take it.

Seriously, if Kubiak/Smith don't feel confident that Schaub can play the majority of the season, we need to move on.
Who is there to move on to? When Schaub is healthy he has been great for us, but he does tend to get injured. That's why we need a capable backup. If we had someone behind Sage who could get the job done then I would say go for it, but we don't.

Right now our QB situaion is:

1 - Schaub
2 - Rosenfels

And that's it. There is nobody else on the roster who is capable of playing effectively in our offense.

With Schaub tending to get injured we need someone who can fill in for him. If we trade Sage and do not replace him then we are in serious trouble if Schaub gets hurt again.

Goldensilence

hipster elite
http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php

I think the sky will fall if we don't keep Sage on the team attitude is a bit weak. No we don't CURRENTLY have anyone on the roster that can step in as the #2 guy. Doesn't mean we can't find that guy via FA and get him enough up to speed by the start of the season.

We don't need an up and coming QB that might be a starter elsewhere. What we need isa guy that completely understands his role as a back and is ok with it. Did this season prove to him he's a backup and to his fan club as well? Can't say for sure, but if he still has the itch to start then we are better off shipping him out for a pick.

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
I say ship him off. Rosencopter revealed all we need to know about him as far as I'm concerned. He put himself above the team. He just had to close the game out, but instead tried to make a case to be the starter. FAIL
Exactly. Dear Lord we already lost on getting a pick last season and he failed in his role. Now people are willing to maybe miss out on picks again on a guy who may be no better than what we can find out there. I'm willing tochance that if injuries and inconsistent play at QB become a problem, then Sage nor anyone will save us.

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
Exactly. Dear Lord we already lost on getting a pick last season and he failed in his role. Now people are willing to maybe miss out on picks again on a guy who may be no better than what we can find out there. I'm willing to chance it. If injuries and inconsistent play at QB become a problem, then Sage nor anyone will save us in my book. We don't need competition. We need a backup.

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php

I think the sky will fall if we don't keep Sage on the team attitude is a bit weak. No we don't CURRENTLY have anyone on the roster that can step in as the #2 guy. Doesn't mean we can't find that guy via FA and get him enough up to speed by the start of the season.

We don't need an up and coming QB that might be a starter elsewhere. What we need isa guy that completely understands his role as a back and is ok with it. Did this season prove to him he's a backup and to his fan club as well? Can't say for sure, but if he still has the itch to start then we are better off shipping him out for a pick.
Well said

badboy

Hall of Fame
HHmmm...let me see. I predict he will be traded to the Minnesota Vikings on Friday 02-27-2009.
Are you sure? Do we get a 2nd round? I am hoping we can draft a fast small running back that can get us a thousand and still catch the ball. :shades: