AJ:The book on Wade Phillips

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/the-book-on-wade-phillips

2. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

So why would he take this job? I don't think the book is closed on his head coaching career in the NFL, why would he take a demotion to go defensive coordinate for a sinking ship like us? This Wade Phillips rumor has never made any sense to me.

3. Fred

Fred All Pro

He is done as a head coach. Even Dom Capers didn't get this many bites at head coaching positions. Time for Wade to follow Dom into the world of failed coaches who are excellent coordinators.

And news from 2040 today:

Old Texans fans remember exactly where they were when Kubiak wasn't fired. I was a old fart, waiting to be called back for my colonscopy. It was very humid outside. That day changed my attitude toward Bottom Line Bob (BLB) McNair forever.

4. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

If Chan Gailey could get a head coaching job, then Wade Phillips, with playoffs and multiple 10+ win seasons under his belt at his last stop, could get a head coaching job.

5. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Maybe he is tired of the HC gig and wants to focus on what he's good at. I'll answer your question with my own question. Why would any HC want to come to Houston? Why would Cowher want to come here? The answer is we've got a terrific Offense and players in place. The Defense just needs some resurrecting and we'd be an awesome team.

So if a guy who has had historical success as a DC, the Defense is his bread and butter, why NOT go to Houston? Add the Texans to his resume of a Defense that should be fairly easy to improve? We're last in the league in yards and like 27th in ppg. A Defensive 'guru' asked to just focus on Defense rather than run the whole show could be pretty appealling if that guy just had a poor HC year and got fired. He's said he still wants to coach and will probably be perfectly happy taking a DC role instead of HC. I think it makes great sense for him. GREAT opportunity.

6. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

The only thing hiring Wade Phillips does is tell me who will get the "Interim Head Coach" job next year when Gary's kids belly flop into the kiddie pool one more time.

7. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

Meanwhile Cowher and Gruden will have gotten a years head start in turning their teams around while we hit the reset button.

8. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Exactamundo!
    [​IMG]

9. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

I'd LOVE to see him run the 46 here. But that would actually require decent defensive backs, which we're still lacking. FML.

10. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

we need safeties

McCrea was probably and arguably the best safety that the Texans have ever had

11. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Why is he done as a head coach? He was 33-15 in Dallas with 2 playoff appearances in 3 years prior to this season. He was 29-19 in Buffalo with 2 playoff appearances in 3 seasons. The last time the Bills have been in the playoffs with only one winning record since Wade left in 2000. He's had a top 10 defense in 6 of the 9 seasons he's been the head coach. How you think he's done based on that doesn't make much sense.

I also don't know why he'd take a demotion to DC here but I wouldn't have a problem with it.

12. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

What I'd want to know if he signs on with the Texans as their DC is he gonna have a big say-so in who we draft on the defensive side of the ball ?

13. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

He'll be 64 years old in June and was fired after a 1-7 start with a team that had expected to make a Super Bowl run.

He's had his last HC job.

14. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I've been asking myself the same question.

If this is going to work, then they need to let Wade "shop for the groceries." That goes for FA's too.

15. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

I think he will be given total control over the Defense, scheme and personnel. The organization doesn't have much choice, as they have shown they have no clue when it comes to the defensive side of the football.:rake:

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Pollard should be used as the 46..... Then we need to move an athlete back to free safety... Quinn.... Allen...... maybe even McCain..

17. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I think SonofaBum has one more interim head coach gig in his future.

18. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

cowboys fans are always delusional. they think they're a super bowl worthy team EVERY year. fact is, Romo is just not that good, regardless of what his stats show. their defense is old and their offensive line is porous. Wade had less to work with there than the Texans have.

19. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Well, that lends to another question, "Why would he want to coach at all next year?"

If I'm 64 and just made the bank roll he probably got from Jerry Jones, I think I'd kick back and relax. Possibly move down to Goliad to be close to the family and enjoy my dad's last years.

20. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

His dad probably would get no greater joy than having his son coach in Houston, again. It's a feel good story. I just don't know if the results will feel good.