AJ:Texans GM: 'this is my first exposure to a 3-4'

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/texans-gm-this-is-my-first-exposure-to-a-3-4

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

How's that make me feel? - like big whoop, not surprising and I assumed he was going to be relying heavily on Phillips for the transition.

3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Yeah, I would rather he be honest than try to blow smoke. Hopefully, we have someone who knows what to look for in defensive players now.

4. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

He's actually entering his 5th season as a NFL G.M.. but yeah, there's not a lot of confidence

5. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

There's probably many, many guys in important positions in the NFL including other GMs who have virtually no experience with the 3-4 defense, or for that matter many might be just as inexperienced with the 4-3 having worked almost exclusively in their career with the 3-4.

6. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

I'm not worried. It might even be a good thing. Giving Wade Phillips more decision making power for defensive personnel ensures that we're getting real change on this team.

7. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

If he steps back and lets Wade direct the defensive draft input, then it'll be fine. So in that scenario, his inexperience may be a good thing.

8. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

As with all offseasons, guess what? We'll just have to wait and see who's who and what's what.

Good luck to us Texans fans, because as always, we'll need it. :lol:

9. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

Yeah, it's sounds like Rick likely to let Wade direct the defensive draft input as well as FA. I feel much better if Rick lets Wade handle defensive side of decision/s.

Go Texans!!!

10. The Cush

The Cush All Pro

The Texans not being prepared for something...what else is new

11. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

This was mentioned in one gazillion threads about Wade/3-4 etc. Not saying anything that we did not already know.

12. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

It's Smith's 5th draft, but he has been the Texans GM since June 2006. So 2011 (if there is a season) will be Smith's 6th as Texans GM.

I was able to listen to a portion of the interview. What gave me pause was Smith's suggestion that the scouts had to learn what to look for in a 3-4 defender. Maybe Smith should buy everyone in the organization a 3-4 Defense for Dummies DVD?

I can see this will work out just swell.

13. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I kind of feel like going into something with zero experience doing it is basic Texans philosophy at this point. It's to be expected.

Just like I expect them to fall flat on their faces next year and then Chinese fire-drill around each other trying to figure out why their stupid approach to damn near everything they do didn't work for the 6th straight year!

14. markn

markn Hall of Fame

Our personnel department has drafted 7 of the last 8 first round picks for defense. Ultimately this has culminated in a defense which has redefined the definition of 'suck', with performance statistics that are historically bad.

Given that, perhaps being completely unprepared and ignorant to the scheme for which they are drafting for is the best possible scenario?

b0ng likes this.
  15. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

What gives me more pause is that they evidently either didn't finish reading 4-3 Defense for Dummies or require an accompanying course to improve their reading comprehension.

16. JimBaker488

JimBaker488 Veteran

The biggest problem with drafting guys for the 3-4, which includes DLine and
    outside LB personnel, is that there are so few 3-4 systems in college. Personnel evaluators are therefor left in the uncomfortable position of having to "project" how for example, a smallish or "tweener" 4-3 college DE would play as a 3-4 outside backer in the NFL ? Texans fans know about that risk from the Texans first regime when Capers & Fangio payed a premium to move up and draft Jason Babin in the first round.

17. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

Even scarier....they won't switch out the books, since they still have a 3 and a 4 on them. Cost Savings people!

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Even less than whoop....

We've got people here with no experience picking the best fit for a 3-4 we don't fully understand (Wade's version).

How hard can it be?

19. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Charlie Casserly sat in the 06 war room, Smith did not start as Texans GM until after the 2006 draft in June (draft is in April). So far Rick should be judged on his work 2007-2010 that's four drafts, 2011 would be his 5th here.

Wolf likes this.
  20. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

That's what I said.

I'm certainly not giving Smith credit for the best draft (2006) in team history. If you're going to judge Smith strictly on drafts, I think you'd have to give him a grad of meh. But, he also should be graded on free agency, and ultimately, the teams record. In total, he should get a failing grade. Yet, he remains employed. Go figure.