AJ:Texans draft watch: RB Jonathan Dwyer

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Wolf, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houst...010m1d29-Texans-draft-watch-RB-Jonathan-Dwyer

2. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Texans will surely take a look. draft grade is late 1st to early 2nd.

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2010/1/21/1264286/jonathan-dwyer-nfl-draft-scouting

http://www.ninersnation.com/2010/1/20/1260767/100-in-100-jonathan-dwyer-9-of-100

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  3. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

mods, please feel free to merge thread w/aj/wolf http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houst...010m1d29-Texans-draft-watch-RB-Jonathan-Dwyer was looking for a Dwyer thread don't know how I missed it?

I'm revisiting this because of recent news surrounding Steve Slaton possible extensive recovery time needed due to his neck surgery. This would seem to create a more pressing need for the Texans to address RB in Free Agency &/or the draft. It's not a great free agent class, the Texans should make an offer to Chester Taylor but he is north of 30 & probably looking for his last contract to finish career. Ronnie Brown would be even a better get (partial to Auburn tailbacks) not alot of mileage but extensive injury history, he still has elite skills left & is still only 28. If the Texans don't come away with a big time free agent aquisition @ RB it will be up to the draft to fill need. I expect Spiller to be gone, possibly Miami (if Texans can lure Ronnie Brown away) next best options would be Dwyer or Mathews, which also means a 1st rd. draft slot (maybe in a trade down).

4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

In FA Brown would be a huge FA signing. He's not coming off a knee injury. Westbrook had plantar faceitis (SP) and came back to be very productive. If they want to run some wildcat Brown is the guy for that.

Brown would solve the 3rd and short/goal line problems.

Taylor would be a fine 2nd choice as a FA signing.

Signing either one of these guys would move the RB need down the list of priorities.

They need toadd atleast one more RB in the draft (5th 6th rd pick) and or trade. (Hillis)

5. BOLIO

BOLIO Rookie

I think Dwyer is the best back in this draft for what we need. Big, powerful, and has some wiggle. I like him alot. Trade down to the bottom of the first and pick this guy up.

6. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

The prototype for what we want as fans. Not sure if the coaches are too keen on him. Kubiak loves versatile players but there just isn't much game type on Dwyer to show Kubes that he can do everything that he needs to in order to stay on the field as much as a 1st round RB should.

7. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

The only thing Kubiak would need to see that he couldn't on game tape is pass blocking, which he'd have to go back to his freshman season for.

8. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

I really hope the Texans take this guy. I'm so tired of this organization ignoring the value of a franchise/workhorse running back.

9. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I like Dwyer alot. Would love to pick him up.

10. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I like Dwyer too, but he's going to have to learn a heck of a lot in a short time in order to see the field with the Texans. He's been in the triple option system which means he probably hasn't done any blocking. Plus, he only caught a handfull of balls in 3 years.

I was high on him coming here a couple weeks ago, but I'm being to sway due to how much he'll have to learn coming in.

11. nero THE zero

His pass catching is underrated. While he's only caught ~20 passes over the past two season, he has very good hands from what I've seen. I confident that pass catching isn't an issue at all for him.

There's one catch in particular that I remember where he went up and laid out to catch a ball that was very impressive. The system didn't utilize that skill of his, but it is there.

12. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

This is one of the reasons I would like a guy like LT for a decent price. He could go a long way toward helping young guys learn to be RB's.

13. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

There is one thing he won't have to learn that the rest of our RB's still haven't learned.

517 carries for 3,226 yards & 35 TD's, & "0" fumbles.

14. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I don't think it will be alot more than the average back coming in. He was Tashard Choice's backup as a freshman and ran for 436 yards and 9 TDs on 82 carries. He blocked some in college, probably just as much as Slaton did.

15. nero THE zero

Plus, Slaton (or a vet FA) will likely be our third down back anyway, which would marginalize some of the pass blocking concerns for whatever rookie RB we draft. That's not to say pass blocking is not a concern, but it's not somethign that'd keep me from drafting him.

16. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Well I'm not saying he is Lawrence Phillips, but what I will say at the time when folks were speculating on Phillips, and just like Steve Slaton, you are not going to know for sure about Dywer until he actually does it under game speed conditions. And it's a little bit bold to say he will automatically be locked and loaded by September. Took Beanie Wells almost half the season before the coaches trusted the guy full time in a game. So, It's not so certain as you are making it out to be. Anything coming out of a spread type system involves some risk.

17. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

That's true and the same applies to other unconventional offenses like the triple option. But at the same time you have to look at a player's abilities. I think Dywer has great ability.

Even if it does take a half a season, your talking about a RB for more than just one year. This guy will only be 21 by the start of the next NFL season.

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Semi-grand Poobah Staff Member

Link

I don't like seeing big weight changes like this.

19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

20. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame