Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

AJ:Texans draft watch: Guard Mike Iupati

Wolf

100% Texan
Continuing our draft watch series, we'll now take a look at one of the highest ranking offensive guards to come along in while, Idaho's Mike Iupati.

The Texans primary needs entering the 2010 draft are at running back, free safety, interior offensive lineman, defensive tackle and cornerback assuming Dunta Robinson leaves in free agency

Iupati (pronounced ee-you-PAH-tee) would fill a huge need in the Texans interior offensive line. With Chester Pitts entering his ninth season and coming off a serious knee injury (and due to become a free agent on March 5) and Mike Brisiel coming off a serious foot injury, the Texans could use some reinforcement in the middle.

Kasey Studdard and Chris White filled in capably in Pitts and Brisiel's absence but are not ideal long term solutions. Antoine Caldwell can play both center and guard but has been slow to develop. Center Chris Myers would certainly benefit from having this big mauler next to him - as would Matt Schaub and the Texans non-existent running game. Iupati didn't give up a sack in 2009.

Iupati has a combination of size, strength and agility that makes offensive line coaches drool. He has no trouble getting to the second level which is key in a zone scheme. Some project Iupati at right tackle because of his versatility and long arms. At a Senior Bowl media event, Iupati said jokingly that he wouldn't mind moving outside since tackles 'make more money.'

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houst...atch-Guard-Mike-Iupati?cid=channel-rss-Sports

I didn't get to watch any of the Senior Bowl practices so Iupati may have shown more then, but he stunk up the place in the actual game. Literally, Gino Atkins and Dan Williams used and abused him. Given the limited amount I've seen, I'd pass.

I didn`t think he looked that bad. Of course he still gotta learn what to do with his hands, but his footwork has been great. I´m pretty sure we will see him in the Pro Bowl one day, and I wouldn`t mind him wearing a Texans helmet while doing so.

I didn`t think he looked that bad. Of course he still gotta learn what to do with his hands, but his footwork has been great. I´m pretty sure we will see him in the Pro Bowl one day, and I wouldn`t mind him wearing a Texans helmet while doing so.

How can you watch him in that game and then type this sentence. "I didn't think he looked that bad." LOL.

His feet were awful at times, he acted like he couldn't move when going against the smaller but faster Gino Atkins (which is probably why you have a athletic 6-5 325 pound lineman being stuck at OG and not out at tackle despite playing at a small school). He also didn't know how to play with any leverage at all. All of this without even getting into his hand work, which you already mentioned. He made one noticeable good play today on Blount's TD run and even that play was borderline holding.

I'm jumping off this guy's bandwagon so fast I'm breaking ankles. What Vinny typed was one of the funniest yet one of the most spot on descriptions I've heard about any player.

the next coming of Todd Wade, but with cool Hawaiian hair.

Funny, sad, and true all at the same time.

his feet were pitiful. The reason he was doing so much holding (he should have been called for holding on just about every play) was due to his lack of footwork. For a guy with such long arms he let everyone into his body...he's another, "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane".

Iupati looked pretty bad against Dan Williams. I felt bad for him on a couple of plays. I still think he will be a good guard in the league with some coaching, but might have slipped from a top 20 pick to maybe slipping out of the first 40 picks.

This reminds me of the folks who were screaming for Schaub to be cut after the Jets game. :rolleyes:

Umm...who was saying that?

Schaub already proved he could play at a high level way before that game and this year. Iupati looked awful...alot worse than Schaub ever looked in that Jets game.

Umm...who was saying that?

Eriadoc, Marcus, and euro-texan, among others wanted Schaub benched(not cut, I was exaggerating).

Schaub already proved he could play at a high level way before that game and this year. Iupati looked awful...alot worse than Schaub ever looked in that Jets game.

Iupati was dominant for most of the last 2 seasons, and all of this week. He had a bad game and suddenly he's a terrible player. That makes absolutely zero sense.

Eriadoc, Marcus, and euro-texan, among others wanted Schaub benched(not cut, I was exaggerating).

Well, that's just stupid...no argument there.

Iupati was dominant for most of the last 2 seasons, and all of this week. He had a bad game and suddenly he's a terrible player. That makes absolutely zero sense.

He played at a small school..in the WAC, really how often did this guy go up against a elite college DT?

And it wasn't just that he "had a bad game". The guy had a bad game in just about every facet that a offensive lineman could have a bad game in. He looked lost. It's one thing to get beat on a couple of plays, but there wasn't many battles that he won handedly out there. (The guy got moved to the other guard position and was beaten/outplayed by MULTIPLE players), which is alarming for a guy who's supposed to be "the best guard prospect IN YEARS". To say "he had a bad game" is understatement.

I also don't really care what he did in practice, I care what players do when the bullets are flying. There are a ton of "practice guys" who turn heads and then when they get on a field with other elite players their pants fall down. That's what happened to Iupati today.

Sorry, it is what it is. The guy downright looked like he didn't belong out there and if he looked like that out there against other top college players, it's scary to think what this guy could look like on Sundays.

I do not want him with our first round pick.

He'll still be at worst a very good player in the NFL. People are blowing a bad day out of porportion. The guy has allpro potential, he just needs to be coached up. If he could come in and dominate like people were expecting him to do he would be a top 10 pick easy. Not you Goatcheese but some people need to realize where he came from.

Blowing a bad day out of proportion and blowing a good day out of proportion, both happen all the time.

He was exposed, and it certainly did not help him. He appears to be more of a project than earn the starting position in his first year type guy. What I like is that he will certainly be put under the microscope by our staff......well at least I can hope they will.:kitten:

On the flip side, some of thos DTs looked pretty darn good. Houston, Atkins, Williams. I wouldn't mind seeing the Texans latch on to one of them on draft day...er, draft day(s).

Draft over 3 days? That's gonna be weird.

Well, that's just stupid...no argument there.

He played at a small school..in the WAC, really how often did this guy go up against a elite college DT?

And it wasn't just that he "had a bad game". The guy had a bad game in just about every facet that a offensive lineman could have a bad game in. He looked lost. It's one thing to get beat on a couple of plays, but there wasn't many battles that he won handedly out there. (The guy got moved to the other guard position and was beaten/outplayed by MULTIPLE players), which is alarming for a guy who's supposed to be "the best guard prospect IN YEARS". To say "he had a bad game" is understatement.

I also don't really care what he did in practice, I care what players do when the bullets are flying. There are a ton of "practice guys" who turn heads and then when they get on a field with other elite players their pants fall down. That's what happened to Iupati today.

Sorry, it is what it is. The guy downright looked like he didn't belong out there and if he looked like that out there against other top college players, it's scary to think what this guy could look like on Sundays.

I do not want him with our first round pick.

Carr looked awsome in practice, for a point of refrence.

+1

Iupati could've certainly showed better than he did, but his performance wasn't nearly as dismal as it's been described in this thread.

Jeez, talk about overreacting....

Blowing a bad day out of proportion and blowing a good day out of proportion, both happen all the time.

He was exposed, and it certainly did not help him. He appears to be more of a project than earn the starting position in his first year type guy. What I like is that he will certainly be put under the microscope by our staff......well at least I can hope they will.:kitten:
he's only going to see top talent in the NFL (here is where I usually insert my 0k0ye jokes but I digress...) and he was shockingly bad in technique when faced with 'top talent' -and all that reaching and holding was a sign he was overwhelmed. No way he could play tackle in the NFL with those feet and he doesn't play with enough leverage to be elite as a G in the NFL based on what I saw in the Sr Bowl. I hope we don't pick this stiff. He may look good in shorts and is athletic enough in drills, but he was shockingly awful in the game. It's been a while since I've seen a guy reach that much and try to grab DL's on the fly. In open space or once guys got a step on him laterally, he was just lost like Todd Wade. Very Herman Munster like lunging, reaching and grabbing instead of moving thy feets and punching. He may be a project but he isn't worth risking an early pick based on what I saw. I think the book on him is that he is a LG only...and will be a project with elite size....you know, like Todd Wade was.

This was likely the first opportunity anyone here has to actually see the guy play. Seriously, how much Idaho football have you (or anyone else) seen? According to the draftniks, Iupati is a great prospect. Sometimes, they are right. Sometimes, they're just flat out wrong.

Just from what I saw, Iupati looked like a player who was thinking, rather than reacting. The game looked too fast for him. This was a new system, and he had a week to absorb new techniques. And he has probably never seen the caliber of DTs he faced this week. So, I won't suggest that he can't become a player in the NFL. He definitely looks the part. But it's obvious to me that Iupati will require a lot of NFL coaching. 1st round picks are generally expected to produce straight out of the box. Iupati doesn't look like that type of player.

I went back and watched the first couple of drives by the North offense and don't agree with the adjectives you're using. Iupati started the game at right guard and looked okay early--he was winning most of his battles until the holding call, at which point he came completely undone. I don't know if it was a function of him being out of his natural position or Dan Williams and Gino Atkins just kicking ass, but he definitely wasn't playing well at that point. However, they switched him back to left guard and he just dominated for those series of plays. He looked like a totally different player.

I think y'all might need to back away from the hyperbole ledge.

I went back and watched the first couple of drives by the North offense and don't agree with the adjectives you're using. Iupati started the game at right guard and looked okay early--he was winning most of his battles until the holding call, at which point he came completely undone. I don't know if it was a function of him being out of his natural position or Dan Williams and Gino Atkins just kicking ass, but he definitely wasn't playing well at that point. However, they switched him back to left guard and he just dominated for those series of plays. He looked like a totally different player.

I think y'all might need to back away from the hyperbole ledge.
he started at lg and moved to rg and was totally exposed. He could have been called for holding at least 6-7 times. Possibly more....he'll get a NFL QB killed playing like that. It's just a different opinion than yours, so relax.

he started at lg and moved to rg and was totally exposed. He could have been called for holding at least 6-7 times. Possibly more....he'll get a NFL QB killed playing like that. It's just a different opinion than yours, so relax.

Sounds like the kid has potential as an NFL player, but not as a starter. We're going to need someone to jump right in.

Actually, he didn't start at LG. He started at RG, then moved to LG on the third series iirc. (Maybe you were mistaking Wang for Iupati? They both have that crazy hair.)

Yes, he could've been called for holding a few times. He also stoned his guy on the left side multiple times, including one play which Mayock commented on where he took out two guys on a QB scramble.

I don't disagree with some of the criticisms of his play in this game, I just think the conclusions are way premature. He was not as terrible as advertised in this thread, nor was his play in the game as other-worldly as he reportedly was in practice.

I'm with goatcheese on this one. Lotta time left until the draft for his stock to skyrocket, drop, and settle.

Why are people trying to already pencil this guy in at tackle? The guy's biggest strength is being able to make great pulls as a huge guard. Reminds me of the Branden Albert crap that happened a few years ago.

Stick the dude at LG, don't move him around the line he's not Bruce ****ing Matthews and be done with it. From what I've read the guy was as good as advertised the few snaps he got to play LG.

And since most scouts watch the practices and not the actual game itself, here are some reviews of his practices:

http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story...emplate=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/18593/idaho-og-iupati-impresses-at-senior-bowl

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2010/01/senior_bowl_practice_notes_1.html

http://dallascowboysnation.com/2010...ect-other-prosects-turn-heads/comment-page-1/

I'm not saying the dude is the next Munch, but I have seen plenty of players play badly at the Sr Bowl and be good/great NFL players. On the flipside, there are always players who wow during the game and suck everywhere else. So take the hyperbole and the Todd Wade with a grain of salt. The guy is going to be drafted by somebody, and I'd say it's more than likely going to be on day 1. Whether it's the Texans or not is another story all together (I for one am still on board the wagon).

I went into this game eager to watch the action in the trenches. Like others have said, Iupati looked horrible at RG. He did look a little better as the game progressed, but still not as advertised.

Dan Williams looked pretty good.

Houston looked good at times, but was often over-powered.

Senior Bowl game report on Iupati from Great Blue North Draft Report:

Offensive line: They call them the ’big uglies’ and that was pretty descriptive in Mobile on Saturday, as it was all week, as the Senior Bowl offensive linemen were consistently dominated by their defensive counterparts. Even big Idaho OG Mike Iupati, the one constant up front during practice this week, really struggled. Indeed, Iupati gave up a sack, as well as another tackle for loss; he was also called for one hold and could just as easily have been flagged for a half dozen others. The raw skill was apparent with Iupati when he kept his feet moving and his head, however, for whatever reason Iupati did a lot of lunging at the defensive linemen in front of him, even when it appeared he should be in a pass-block backpeddle; plus he really wasn’t taking advantage of his 35-inch reach and was also planting way too early with the result that he was often flatfooted or off-balance and had to grab some jersey to hold off his man.

I was really interested in Iupati. I just think he's too raw right now to come in and start for us and make a positive impact. If we're in a "win now" mentality, we need to get guys that not only have long term potential for us... but can make an immediate impact.

I was really interested in Iupati. I just think he's too raw right now to come in and start for us and make a positive impact. If we're in a "win now" mentality, we need to get guys that not only have long term potential for us... but can make an immediate impact.

It would be best for Iupati if he could go to a team that doesn't need him to step in right away. He has the tools but he definitely needs some NFL coaching before he can contribute.

the next coming of Todd Wade, but with cool Hawaiian hair.

http://draftnasty.com/insider_blogs...-senior-looks-to-throw-block-party-at-senior/

At 6’6” and 325-pounds, Iupati stands out literally among his North and South roster mates.

His collegiate play was equally mountainous. Amazingly, Iupati never gave up a sack during the entire 2009 campaign, and he graded out at 90 percent or better in all 13 games.

Already, Iupati has squared off against North squad teammates such as Michigan’s Brandon Graham, currently rated third in DraftNasty.com’s rankings among draft-eligible defensive ends, and North Carolina’s Cam Thomas who presently ranks seventh among defensive tackles on the same list. The competition will get no easier when Iupati’s North squad takes on the South team this weekend. There, he will attempt to keep at bay the likes of Troy’s Brandon Lang, rated second among defensive ends, and/or UCLA’s Brian Price and Alabama’s Terrence Cody, ranked third and sixth among defensive tackles.

Doubters of Iupati’s credibility coming from Idaho should remember that, Scott, currently with the Tennessee Titans, has started 89 of the 92 games in which he has played since coming into the League in 2004. In fact, the offensive guard has started in all 16 games of every season since opening the 2005 campaign.

This guy was built to be an NFL guard. He's so off the charts it's scary how good he will become.

http://www.greeninkpub.com/

0424_large.jpg

Well, don't know about steroids. I do know they eat a lot of fish in American Somoa. Most American Somoans don't have enough cash to buy even meat, let alone stroids. And wasn't this the same bombs everyone was throwing out at Cushing last year ?

The guy is just big. Not fat, big. You could line him up at tail back or TE if you wanted. I equate the bending and lunging just the same as Andre Johnson when he came out trapping the balls against his body instead of using his hands. The only thing this guy needs is some coaching. Punch, don't grab or lunge. He'll figure it out. And your correct Vinny. He's never seen the kind of speed he will see in the NFL. But the whole point of it is the guy is off the charts as an 330 pound athlete. So much so I believe he'll flourish in the ZBS. When he takes his shirt off at the weigh in....he looks like a taller silver backed Gorilla. Chris White unfairly or not is as big and as Athletic as he's ever going to get. This guy has a chance to be an o-line super star.

Said my say we'll see.

Well, don't know about steroids. I do know they eat a lot of fish in American Somoa. Most American Somoans don't have enough cash to buy even meat, let alone stroids. And wasn't this the same bombs everyone was throwing out at Cushing last year ?

The guy is just big. Not fat, big. You could line him up at tail back or TE if you wanted. I equate the bending and lunging just the same as Andre Johnson when he came out trapping the balls against his body instead of using his hands. The only thing this guy needs is some coaching. Punch, don't grab or lunge. He'll figure it out. And your correct Vinny. He's never seen the kind of speed he will see in the NFL. But the whole point of it is the guy is off the charts as an 330 pound athlete. So much so I believe he'll flourish in the ZBS. When he takes his shirt off at the weigh in....he looks like a taller silver backed Gorilla. Chris White unfairly or not is as big and as Athletic as he's ever going to get. This guy has a chance to be an o-line super star.

Said my say we'll see.
I've seen this guy 3 times now.
Against SD St, Bowling Green and the Sr Bowl.
I'm not quite sure he's first round material, but I think he will be a starter in the NFL. He looks to have the ability and capability to become a good one, too!

BTW, Idaho runs a lot of ZBS.
They employed Iupati in a similar fashion as we used Pitts in 08.
LG pull to inside RT mostly.

Samoans make great linemen.

Ngata,Peko, Steelers OG, etc.

You have to coach them up though.

Said my say we'll see.
They live on an island...yeah, they eat fish. What is this "meat" you speak of? Fish doesn't have enough protein for you? Samoans are generally pretty large people. Roids don't give you a large frame. Per capita, The Samoan islands sends more players to the NFL than any other community.

You equate the bending and lunging to ANDRE WHO? wth?

Todd Wade looks good in shorts too but he bends at the hips instead of the knees and lunges...they look like similar prospects to me.

They live on an island...yeah, they eat fish. What is this "meat" you speak of? Fish doesn't have enough protein for you? Samoans are generally pretty large people. Roids don't give you a large frame. Per capita, The Samoan islands sends more players to the NFL than any other community.

Todd Wade looks good in shorts too but he bends at the hips instead of the knees and lunges...they look like similar prospects to me.

Yeah ... Todd Wade was also a highly paid free agent . :turtle:

Iupati has become an emotional prospect on this board, very little substance to evaluations, personal & devoid of logical analysis :bender:

Mike Iupati, LG Utah, 6052 325

Must use reach & power to stun defenders then reset footwork & anchor backside down. Learning to play with dicipline & take advanatage of his athletic gifts. Seems like a project pick, so ask yourself what do you think he will become in three years? I see him remaining @ LG as he learns to control equally large DT's, using size & reach expanding that confined space creating a nice bubble in protection mode or huge hole cut-back lane.

Best fit is a established OL with luxury to develop & groom. Pittsburgh is his ideal fit, Green Bay, Dallas in line. If he slides Detroit is a desperate team needing a LG to help protect Stafford, not ideal situation for him but would benefit Lions organization. I would pass if I where Rick Simth not because of value but from a schematic ZBS profile outlook. Texans like technicians, hard working overachievers who are lower cost options. In our consensus mock (rmartin65 & badboy) we agreed with Mike Johnson (2nd rd.) not an ahtletic freak, more polished LG playing natural position with refined ZBS elements already in place. His anchor needs to be stronger when needed, but his moves off the line & ability seperate from defender second level show a potential road grader in zone scheme who can locate target thus create 2nd level extra spacing.

Last edited:

Well they had two tuna canneries on the Island...and then congress raised minimum waged. One cannery has pulled up stakes and the other is teetering on folding. Meat is not an every day item on the menu. And they don't make very much money. Kinda Ironic, they've been involved with the USA for awhile. We're going to spend a billion on Haiti who've basically done nothing for the U.S., and tell the American Samoan people to go screw themselves. Iupati has been over here for a while. But it's going to be really interesting to see what his percentage of body fat is.

I'm equating bending and lunging on not being use to the speed and quickness he saw senior bowl week. Inexperience.... not stiffness is the root of his problems. He had no problems in the Humanitarian bowl. Nor his senior season.

Just as Andre Johnson was more numbers than polished player when he came out, and did not trust his hands, this guy also will need some reps this summer to get use to the speed and quickness of the NFL and to trust his feet. It's not athleticism, it's experience. This guy is not Todd Wade. This guy is a seventy pound larger version of Vonte Leach. He moves like a fullback, not a guard. He runs with grace and power. And he's football smart. He can make adjustments on the fly and find his assignment.

He just might be faster than Vonte. Well see at the end of the month. Just judging by the way he runs down the field, the guy has some serious foot speed. He'll learn the technique to stop the bull rush and not opening the gate on the inside moves. Punch and move your feet ...don't grab and lunge. I think he just may end up being the best player in the class. What I'm seeing a guy who is twenty to thirty five pounds heavier than Russ Grimm and Mathews and moves more gracefully and with more power than either of those two HOFers. He has ten inch hands on thirty four inch arms. He was born with Thor's hammers dangling off his shoulders. And he only needs some one to teach him how to swing those wrecking balls.

And weren't you the guy last year that flat out guaranteed me we were taking Taylor Mays....last draft ? Or was it a running back ?

Last edited:
That would be an awful scenerio. Patrick Robinson and Earl Thomas taken with the 18th and 19th picks just ahead of us. Then the Texans take Mike Iupati over Dan Williams, Taylor Mays and CJ Spiller.

That would be an awful scenerio. Patrick Robinson and Earl Thomas taken with the 18th and 19th picks just ahead of us. Then the Texans take Mike Iupati over Dan Williams, Taylor Mays and CJ Spiller.

That would be a nightmare scenario.

There's another guy, Vlad Ducasse from UMass, that I like.
A bit raw (only play football for 5 years).
Looked better than Ed Wang at LT in the Sr Bowl, but probably will translate to Guard at the next level.
I would spend a third on him, but his stock may rise.

Back