AJ:Texans draft watch: Guard Mike Iupati

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Wolf, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houst...atch-Guard-Mike-Iupati?cid=channel-rss-Sports

2. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

I didn't get to watch any of the Senior Bowl practices so Iupati may have shown more then, but he stunk up the place in the actual game. Literally, Gino Atkins and Dan Williams used and abused him. Given the limited amount I've seen, I'd pass.

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

the next coming of Todd Wade, but with cool Hawaiian hair.

Carr Bombed likes this.
  4. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Boy, you really know how to take the luster off a guy!

5. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

I didn`t think he looked that bad. Of course he still gotta learn what to do with his hands, but his footwork has been great. I´m pretty sure we will see him in the Pro Bowl one day, and I wouldn`t mind him wearing a Texans helmet while doing so.

6. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

How can you watch him in that game and then type this sentence. "I didn't think he looked that bad." LOL.

His feet were awful at times, he acted like he couldn't move when going against the smaller but faster Gino Atkins (which is probably why you have a athletic 6-5 325 pound lineman being stuck at OG and not out at tackle despite playing at a small school). He also didn't know how to play with any leverage at all. All of this without even getting into his hand work, which you already mentioned. He made one noticeable good play today on Blount's TD run and even that play was borderline holding.

I'm jumping off this guy's bandwagon so fast I'm breaking ankles. What Vinny typed was one of the funniest yet one of the most spot on descriptions I've heard about any player.

Funny, sad, and true all at the same time.

7. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

I couldn't agree with you more! He was used and abused today! I will pass as well!

8. Vinny

his feet were pitiful. The reason he was doing so much holding (he should have been called for holding on just about every play) was due to his lack of footwork. For a guy with such long arms he let everyone into his body...he's another, "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane".

9. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

This reminds me of the folks who were screaming for Schaub to be cut after the Jets game. :rolleyes:

10. Blake

Blake MMQB

Iupati looked pretty bad against Dan Williams. I felt bad for him on a couple of plays. I still think he will be a good guard in the league with some coaching, but might have slipped from a top 20 pick to maybe slipping out of the first 40 picks.

11. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Umm...who was saying that?

Schaub already proved he could play at a high level way before that game and this year. Iupati looked awful...alot worse than Schaub ever looked in that Jets game.

12. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

Eriadoc, Marcus, and euro-texan, among others wanted Schaub benched(not cut, I was exaggerating).

Iupati was dominant for most of the last 2 seasons, and all of this week. He had a bad game and suddenly he's a terrible player. That makes absolutely zero sense.

13. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Well, that's just stupid...no argument there.

He played at a small school..in the WAC, really how often did this guy go up against a elite college DT?

And it wasn't just that he "had a bad game". The guy had a bad game in just about every facet that a offensive lineman could have a bad game in. He looked lost. It's one thing to get beat on a couple of plays, but there wasn't many battles that he won handedly out there. (The guy got moved to the other guard position and was beaten/outplayed by MULTIPLE players), which is alarming for a guy who's supposed to be "the best guard prospect IN YEARS". To say "he had a bad game" is understatement.

I also don't really care what he did in practice, I care what players do when the bullets are flying. There are a ton of "practice guys" who turn heads and then when they get on a field with other elite players their pants fall down. That's what happened to Iupati today.

Sorry, it is what it is. The guy downright looked like he didn't belong out there and if he looked like that out there against other top college players, it's scary to think what this guy could look like on Sundays.

I do not want him with our first round pick.

14. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

He'll still be at worst a very good player in the NFL. People are blowing a bad day out of porportion. The guy has allpro potential, he just needs to be coached up. If he could come in and dominate like people were expecting him to do he would be a top 10 pick easy. Not you Goatcheese but some people need to realize where he came from.

15. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Blowing a bad day out of proportion and blowing a good day out of proportion, both happen all the time.

He was exposed, and it certainly did not help him. He appears to be more of a project than earn the starting position in his first year type guy. What I like is that he will certainly be put under the microscope by our staff......well at least I can hope they will.:kitten:

16. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

On the flip side, some of thos DTs looked pretty darn good. Houston, Atkins, Williams. I wouldn't mind seeing the Texans latch on to one of them on draft day...er, draft day(s).

Draft over 3 days? That's gonna be weird.

17. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Carr looked awsome in practice, for a point of refrence.

18. Mailman

Mailman Pwned by Hakeem

+1

Iupati could've certainly showed better than he did, but his performance wasn't nearly as dismal as it's been described in this thread.

Jeez, talk about overreacting....

19. Vinny

he's only going to see top talent in the NFL (here is where I usually insert my 0k0ye jokes but I digress...) and he was shockingly bad in technique when faced with 'top talent' -and all that reaching and holding was a sign he was overwhelmed. No way he could play tackle in the NFL with those feet and he doesn't play with enough leverage to be elite as a G in the NFL based on what I saw in the Sr Bowl. I hope we don't pick this stiff. He may look good in shorts and is athletic enough in drills, but he was shockingly awful in the game. It's been a while since I've seen a guy reach that much and try to grab DL's on the fly. In open space or once guys got a step on him laterally, he was just lost like Todd Wade. Very Herman Munster like lunging, reaching and grabbing instead of moving thy feets and punching. He may be a project but he isn't worth risking an early pick based on what I saw. I think the book on him is that he is a LG only...and will be a project with elite size....you know, like Todd Wade was.

20. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

This was likely the first opportunity anyone here has to actually see the guy play. Seriously, how much Idaho football have you (or anyone else) seen? According to the draftniks, Iupati is a great prospect. Sometimes, they are right. Sometimes, they're just flat out wrong.

Just from what I saw, Iupati looked like a player who was thinking, rather than reacting. The game looked too fast for him. This was a new system, and he had a week to absorb new techniques. And he has probably never seen the caliber of DTs he faced this week. So, I won't suggest that he can't become a player in the NFL. He definitely looks the part. But it's obvious to me that Iupati will require a lot of NFL coaching. 1st round picks are generally expected to produce straight out of the box. Iupati doesn't look like that type of player.