Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

AJ Says he wants to return !

I asked Johnson if next season will feel like starting over, and he said he won't know the answer to that until he sees what the Texans do at quarterback -- whether they bring in a rookie or a veteran.

Is he hinting at wanting a veteran QB next year?

Not like Andre would say anything different even if he wanted out of Houston. I totally believe his words are genuine, but for argument's sake even if he did want out he's under contract with the Texans through 2016.

He aint going anywhere.

Just think what his numbers would have looked like with a legit starting qb instead of the trash the Texans have trotted out over the years.

Sent from the future...

Wasn't he in the top 5 quickest players to get to 900 receptions?

Five 100-reception seasons. Three 1,500-yard seasons.

One more season like this year and he is #7 All-Time in both receptions and yards. He would already be there had he not missed close to 1.5 seasons due to injuries.

Outside of the lack of TD's, there is not an individual stat that indicates his personal success has suffered greatly with Carr/Schaub.

Take out the 2007 and 2011 seasons where both AJ and Schaub missed significant playing time, and AJ's stats for the other five seasons they played together would have averaged 105 receptions and 1500 yards. That is a pretty damn good 5-year average.

He even managed a 100-reception season in Carr's last year.

If you would like to make the argument that the QB play kept AJ from experiencing team success, that is a different story that I would agree with.

Wasn't he in the top 5 quickest players to get to 900 receptions?

Five 100-reception seasons. Three 1,500-yard seasons.

One more season like this year and he is #7 All-Time in both receptions and yards. He would already be there had he not missed close to 1.5 seasons due to injuries.

Outside of the lack of TD's, there is not an individual stat that indicates his personal success has suffered greatly with Carr/Schaub.

Take out the 2007 and 2011 seasons where both AJ and Schaub missed significant playing time, and AJ's stats for the other five seasons they played together would have averaged 105 receptions and 1500 yards. That is a pretty damn good 5-year average.

He even managed a 100-reception season in Carr's last year.

If you would like to make the argument that the QB play kept AJ from experiencing team success, that is a different story that I would agree with.

You have to wonder with a Manning, Brady, Brees, etc. tossing the rock to him just how much higher those numbers might have been though. If he's "borderline" HOF now, might he have been "done deal" under those circumstances?

Not like Andre would say anything different even if he wanted out of Houston. I totally believe his words are genuine, but for argument's sake even if he did want out he's under contract with the Texans through 2016.

He aint going anywhere.
I'm a big Andre fan, he's going to the HOF, etc. but it would cost him too much money to leave Houston. Besides what would another team give up for him ? 5 years ago he would have been worth something on the open market, but not today as he's basically a "possession" receiver at this point in his career. Think
Antwan Bolton.

He aint going anywhere.

Exactly. His two options are Texans (get millions of $) or sit at home (get nuthin').

You have to wonder with a Manning, Brady, Brees, etc. tossing the rock to him just how much higher those numbers might have been though. If he's "borderline" HOF now, might he have been "done deal" under those circumstances?

Marvin Harrison, currently #3 in receptions and #7 in receiving yards, spent 11 years of his 13-year career catching passes from Manning.

Andre is less than 200 receptions and 2,000 yards behind Harrison on the All-Time list. If he plays for two more years to get to 13 years, he stands an extremely good chance of surpassing Harrison in both areas.

If he plays for three more years and get 225 receptions and 3,000 yards (75/1,000 per season), he finishes #2 All-Time behind Jerry Rice.

I'm just not sure that you can say playing with Manning would have made him THAT much better, unless we were talking TD's. Same goes for Brady. They both spread the ball around and rely on the TE too much for there to be a dominant #1 receiver.

But he definitely would have won more games and been in Super Bowls, which is something he more than likely will not get here in Houston.

And the naysayers go down again.

Yep. Lots of hand-wringing over nothing.

That being said, I can understand the confusion about team & player loyalty in this day and age. It is a rare thing to see in the modern NFL, especially among WRs.

My gut feeling is Watt will be the same way.

That being said, I can understand the confusion about team & player loyalty in this day and age. It is a rare thing to see in the modern NFL, especially among WRs.

You've seemed to have fairly sound "gut feeling(s)" historically DB. I hope this is another.

You've seemed to have fairly sound "gut feeling(s)" historically DB. I hope this is another.

I think Watt will stick around too. I think we'll offer a fairly lucrative deal to stay. He has grown roots in the Htown community too. Which can't hurt

I think Watt will stick around too. I think we'll offer a fairly lucrative deal to stay. He has grown roots in the Htown community too. Which can't hurt

True, but if this coaching/regime change turns into an apocalypse I could see him wanting to wear a cheese wedge. Don't want it to happen but stranger things have come to pass.

if he was no under contract going into this year I think he would be singing a different tune

this is non news

Thanks, man. :) I mainly base it on how I perceive McNair's stated thoughts.

McNair has only referred to two players as "legacy players", guys he believes will ultimately be in the HoF. AJ and Watt are those two players.

Obviously, part of the equation is taking care of those players, and if McNair's history with AJ is considered, he's done a great job of ensuring they are financially happy to be here.

Emotional ties are obvious to how the fans respect the players, and that's obvious with both AJ and Watt. AJ is probably the first football player since Earl Campbell that has reached an almost 'deity' status in the city. And I see Watt getting there, as well.

Thanks, man. :) I mainly base it on how I perceive McNair's stated thoughts.

McNair has only referred to two players as "legacy players", guys he believes will ultimately be in the HoF. AJ and Watt are those two players.

Obviously, part of the equation is taking care of those players, and if McNair's history with AJ is considered, he's done a great job of ensuring they are financially happy to be here.

Emotional ties are obvious to how the fans respect the players, and that's obvious with both AJ and Watt. AJ is probably the first football player since Earl Campbell that has reached an almost 'deity' status in the city. And I see Watt getting there, as well.

Agreed.

And the naysayers go down again.

It made no sense cap wise to cut / trade AJ anyhow .... Too much of a cap hit to do either and no way in hell you get anything remotely close to equal value in a trade.

As for his wanting to come back , that's great ..... but its not like he has a choice in the matter , he's under contract.

[IMGwidthsize=300]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgSYqB6CEAAcUZq.jpg[/IMG]

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
#Texans' Andre Johnson digs Johnny Manziel: "He doesn’t have the name Johnny Football for nothing."

#Texans' Andre Johnson on Michael Sam: "He’s not hiding anything, he’s not pretending to be someone.”

Andre Johnson on BO'B: 'He really loves the game of football. He’s very passionate about it. He’s all about team.'

'I still have a few more years left in me' - Healthy Andre Johnson...

Andre Johnson hasn't given any thought to retiring. Knows he's in latter stage of his career. But he feels fine and plans to keep playing.

#Texans' Andre Johnson respects Michael Sam's announcement. Added, "I don't know," when asked how an #NFL locker room will handle it.

#Texans' Andre Johnson has only spoken briefly with Bill O'Brien.

#Texans' Andre Johnson said he's fully healthy. Wrist injury has healed.

the real question is

DOes

Ben tate wanna stay

does A smith wanna stay at prob less pay

does Mayes and Sharpton wanna stay ...do we want them to stay LOL

does wade smith wanna retire LOL

DOes Greg jones wanna stay

and does Garrett Ghram wanna stay ...or hell follow Kubes the guy who drafted him lOL

Back