AJ/Moulds SI Article

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans_Chick, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Link: SI/AP article

Excellent.

Last year, it was all about getting AJ the ball more. And the way they did it was those stupid flatfooted standing swingout passes that usually meant AJ got killed immediately, was a waste of his talents, and was totally predictable. If the entire offense is about getting one guy the ball more, the offense looks like crud if that guy gets hurt, like AJ did.

This year they are going to try to get AJ the ball more by demanding through a scheme that the entire field has to be defended.

So the response to a killer pass rush and not getting AJ the ball more isn't a tinkering shorter QB drops, max protect, and swing passes to AJ (which makes only the first 10 yard of the field relevant to the defense). It is an actual offense that tries to spread the defense and put them on their heels.

Also, this is the article that explains why Moulds was a better free agent WR choice for this team than some others.

2. Tex Trenches

Tex Trenches Veteran

3. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

Utilizing the TE in the middle of the field will help a ton.

4. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

I sit in the endzone (500's) and I can't tell you how many times the middle of the field was wide open. The defense knew we weren't going there so they cheated towards AJ and left the other two scrubs in one-on-one coverage. Guess what? We never adjusted and sent someone to the middle. :confused:

5. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Don't hold back. How do you really feel about it?

6. Texan in Japan

Texan in Japan All Pro

I've always admired how Moulds plays. I think as significant his influence will be on AJ, it will also be a large part of why David Carr has his best season as a pro.

Eric's talent, experience, attitude and enthusiasm will make the entire offense better. I won't predict our record, but I think we'll be in most if not every game, and we'll be entertaining.

7. ojthecat

ojthecat Veteran

I have been to every Texans home game and I am a little confused what is this TE you speak about?

Texans_Chick likes this.
  8. touttail

touttail All Pro

A top WR like AJ getting advice and coaching from another top notch WR Moulds. WOW, can't be anything but positives and great learnings for AJ!!!!
    Look out opposing DB's! :redtowel:

Bobby 119C

9. AFD1717

AFD1717 Veteran

Your confusion is understandable. He has previously been listed as the "Third Tackle." Hope that helps.

10. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

There must have been a rule change this year. The TE, previously known as "the skinny extra tackle", is now going to be an eligible receiver. The theory is that this change could make offenses more potent.

:sarcasm:

11. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

HA! This is restrained. You should have heard me in the stands. I do not like being vulgar, but things got profanity bad. I can understand when well designed plays do not work because that happens. But it was just so painful.

Everytime AJ got that stupid swing pass for little gain, I felt like I was dying. Seeing plays of that sort is like watching your grandmother drive a Ferrari. It's just wrong and a total waste.

Dude is a tall athletic, fight off the defenders, lightning quick, jump over tall buildings freak, and we were doing swing passes as his bread and butter get him the ball play? The horror. The horror.

This is just the most blatent example of misusing talent on the team last year. You could look at any number of players and talk about how schemes didn't match talent last year.

Bygones.

Take a deep breath.

Bygones.

Really, I would like to focus more on looking forward than looking back.

12. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

No doubt, man. I sit in the 500s, too (right above the owner's box), and we'd see so many open spots in the middle of the field that it got frustrating. But our offense was so predictable, plus the fact that Carr either didn't get enough time in the pocket, couldn't trust the pocket when it did exist, or he'd have the tendency to lock onto one receiver.

We hoped things would change when Palmer got fired, but it only got worse from there.

13. Htown34s

Htown34s Veteran

Very nice article!

Man, the more I read about some of these elementary changes and easy problems being fixed the more I think how our coaching staff was to blame for a lot of the previous failures.

14. valleytexfan

valleytexfan Hall of Fame

YES!!!! Can't wait for this duo to start wreaking havoc on opposing defenses...no more AJ by himself-show. :texflag: :yahoo:

15. South Texan

South Texan Veteran

Gotta agree with this theory whole heartdly. It appears there is some serious talent at TE this year and I really hope Joppru gets past the injury problems this year to see if he is as good on the field as he is on paper. (Wasn't he drafted ahead of Witten that plays TE for the other Texas team?)

Between the WR's and TE's this year someone may be making a fortune selling the oppisition's DB's ulcer medicine. :drool:

16. HARRYJ

HARRYJ A Great Pretender

Houstons "skinny extra tackle" will get to meet Mr. Trotter and Mr. Dawkins on the first day of the season. I sure hope they survive!:stirpot:

17. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

To think that Moulds has been that productive w/o someone as athletic as AJ on the other side can't help but make you feel better & better about where this offense can go!

Now, I want to see Joppru play a down of regular-season ball and see what it's like to have a real TE for the first time in Texans history. :redtowel:

18. HARRYJ

HARRYJ A Great Pretender

The Texans should be vastly improved this year.

19. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I guess Philly doesn't have much of a MB, or is this TROLL DAY?
    :shoot:

:gotexans1

20. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Nah, HarryJ is cool - he vists TexansTalk quite often (prolly more than I) but he's alright. Eagles fan first and Texans 2nd I do believe.

Back to subject, thanks for the link TChick, good to see AJ getting the mentoring and the assistance at the same time.