AJ: Examiner Bio Texans draft watch: C/G Maurkice Pouncey

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Wolf, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houst...10m2d6-Texans-draft-watch-CG-Maurkice-Pouncey

2. Line_Producer

Line_Producer Party Rocker

The only thing that I can think about when I hear about the twins, is the Texans getting both of them and being referred to as 'The Replacements'. It would be the best.

3. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I'd love for the Texans to pick Pouncey in the 2nd round, he's been my 2nd round pick in every mock I've done for the last month. I agree with he'll most likely be gone by the time we pick at #51 so I'd like to trade up in the 2nd and get him. I don't think that Kubiak would trust a rookie C to make all the blocking assignment calls so I'd play him at LG for a year so that he can learn beside Myers and then take over the next year at C.

4. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

well with caldwell (if he comes around) it would give them some versatility

5. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

I'm getting giddy looking towards the draft. We are lucky enough to be in position to select some impact players at need positions. Depending on the route the coaches go, I can see us getting stronger in both interiors, adding a playmaker at RB and/or in the secondary. If we can hit on 3 of those 4 scenarios, we can hit at least .500 in the division next year (Which should mean playoffs given our record against everyone else). This is exciting!!!

6. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

He would be a reach in the first, and he probably ain`t there in the second...

7. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Well if that's the case and you love the guy....you move down in the first, especially if Vladimir Ducasse is still on the board, and you get an extra pick for this year or next. They have to shore up the o-line. And if they stand pat, stagnate is death in the NFL. You're either improving or you're sliding back. Sooner or later someone in Detroit is going to figure out Jeff Bacus is not an OLT. I saw in one of the mocks Adam Ulatoski going to the packers.... in the first round. I love the guy as a prospect but with them so high on Butler...there's no way will take him with any pick.
    I haven't seen Ulatoski ranked that high. Which tells me...there's some panic going on out there. And where there's panic, there's opportunity.

8. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Isn't that pretty tall for a C?

9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Yep. There will be a run on OT & DE in the first and RB in the 2nd and some players will go too high and that means some nice players will drop.

10. Big Poundcake

Big Poundcake Veteran

2nd round would be cool.

11. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

man this guy destroys on impact. great drive & natural knee bender. to me he looks like a potential pro-bowl center for the next ten years. that being said if he does make it to the 2nd rd. he will not be there very long.

I would listen to trade offers if Earl Thomas or CJ Spiller are off the board. move down a few spots & add extra 2nd/3rd :)

12. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

BOTTOM LINE
    I just do not understand why Maurkice is considered by some people as the best center in this draft! I see maybe a right guard for the next level or a player who hangs onto the long snapper's job, but right now I do not see a starting center for an NFL team. I do respect the fact that this kid has played for a high level program at the college level, but with all of his limitations, his LTI is way out there. I was careful to list all of the reasons why I do not think very highly of Maurkice for the next level because I know I'll have to take "one for the team" on this profile. Maybe Maurkice can develop better lateral agility and change of direction skills. Maybe a good line coach can teach him about protections and put him in a system that will mask his limitations. I can see him starting for some teams. But those teams would be teams that think they can "coach this kid up". Maurkice is not an impact offensive lineman. I see a serviceable right guard in a system that uses tight splits and has a good blocking back to help him out in pass protection. That means Maurkice is a systems offensive lineman with long snapping abilities.
    Drew Boylhart 1/10
    http://www.thehuddlereport.com/ppSD/protected/2010DRAFT/PlayerProfiles/Maurkice.Pouncey.htm
    "The Huddle Reports" Drew Boylhart is one guy who does not have a high opinion of Pouncey.

13. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

So for the sake of argument, lets say that Spiller and Thomas are both gone and the Texans are unable to trade down. Would you consider taking Pouncey at 20?

14. beerlover

not over Kyle Wilson or Patrick Robinson. I doubt he grades out as the 20th best prospect or even in top 30, after that it gets interesting :thinking:

15. Blake

Blake MMQB

Agreed 100%. I would love to snag Robinson at #20 and worry about center or guard in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

16. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

I am not completely sold on Patrick Robinson. I need to think more about him. But if Wilson, Spiller, and Thomas are gone, I think it gets interesting.

17. beerlover

There are so many issues to review when determining a players final draftable grade, they are all still open for discussion whether it be injury related, player needs to increase strength or attack the mental aspect of his game, CB is a very interersting position because fluid hips, recovery speed & a nose for the ball overcome so much. Patrick reminds me alot of Tracy Porter who came out of Indiana two years ago to the Saints early in the 2nd rd. I see both the inconsistantcies, mental lapses & increase needed in strength/work ethic but these guys can also make game defining moments/big plays (See Porters interception of Manning for a pick 6 in Super Bowl). Bottom line these are rare cats who are coveted by every organization, that inate ability to play the ball first, blanket amazing WR's, play off blocks & shed in run support is why a CB will go before a Center or Guard 9 times of 10.

18. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I love Pouncey, but wouldn't spend a 1st rdr on him.
    He lost a few head to head battles against Cody.

19. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

who didn't?

20. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

That's exactly the point.
    The idea is to find someone who can sustain the likes of Jenkins.
    Last year, there was Alex Mack.
    This year, there seems to be nobody of the same caliber.