thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
My name's Duane Brown

092110-NFL-Duane-Brown-JW_20100921161708_660_320.JPG

& I'm a BAAAAAAaaaaaad Mother Fuch'R

73777_Texans_PEDs_Football_large.jpg

If you've got an ass that needs saving...

images

I'm the Texans you Call

135512848_crop_650x440.jpg

How far we have come from when it was so popular to slag his pick as a reach and another reason to fire people.

How far we have come from when it was so popular to slag his pick as a reach and another reason to fire people.

Yup, I remember that time. "Worst pick and reach in team history" "HC and GM need to be fired" "He could have been had in the 3rd round, 2nd would be the earliest he should have been picked"

Lots of folks seem to have some pretty cracked crystal balls and can't see the future too well, but they sure can wail and carry on as if they have THE absolute answer to everything the Texans need to do. Even in his rookie year he wasn't horrible. Not great, but not horrible and he has gotten better every season and is now one of the best in the league.

Without even having to take a look back at the draft day thread, I can tell you that I was surprised we traded down...but when the strategy was revealed as to why we did that with Duane Brown, I was cool with it.

I didn't call for any heads to roll. I remember feeling OK with the pick. I didn't know who he was, but then again I didn't know much about any o-lineman...and still don't when it comes to the college game.

He's the best one on our team.

after 17 weeks, i've got no bias when claiming brown as the best LT i've seen this season. he hasnt been perfect, but danged if he isnt close.

as an aside, i saw him a couple months ago at the houston zoo (insert joke), and it brought me back to reality on how big this man is ... 6'5" 320lbs in person is a lot different than on tv. he noticed that i recognized him and gave a smile and nod, as i didnt want to interfere on his day out. the grin that yall see in his interviews, he carries it all the time ... a raging bull on the field but a teddy bear off, it obviously made his day to be recognized. and it's an epic failure that he's not being recognized with a trip to hawaii.

Without even having to take a look back at the draft day thread, I can tell you that I was surprised we traded down...but when the strategy was revealed as to why we did that with Duane Brown, I was cool with it.

I didn't call for any heads to roll. I remember feeling OK with the pick. I didn't know who he was, but then again I didn't know much about any o-lineman...and still don't when it comes to the college game.

He's the best one on our team.

Someone bumped the '08 draft day thread. You should see some of the responses. A lot of folks were pissed we passed on Mendenhall. Others thought CB was a more dire need. Most hadn't really heard of D.B. But, as usual, there were some folks who were just besides themselves because we didn't pick their guy...

Do we act like this all the time?
:kitten:

after 17 weeks, i've got no bias when claiming brown as the best LT i've seen this season. he hasnt been perfect, but danged if he isnt close.

as an aside, i saw him a couple months ago at the houston zoo (insert joke), and it brought me back to reality on how big this man is ... 6'5" 320lbs in person is a lot different than on tv. he noticed that i recognized him and gave a smile and nod, as i didnt want to interfere on his day out. the grin that yall see in his interviews, he carries it all the time ... a raging bull on the field but a teddy bear off, it obviously made his day to be recognized. and it's an epic failure that he's not being recognized with a trip to hawaii.

He wasn't in there wrestling with the grizzlies was he...?

Someone bumped the '08 draft day thread. You should see some of the responses. A lot of folks were pissed we passed on Mendenhall. Others thought CB was a more dire need. Most hadn't really heard of D.B. But, as usual, there were some folks who were just besides themselves because we didn't pick their guy...

Do we act like this all the time?

I was in favor of the pick. My first post in that thread, I stated that I had expected Mendenhall...but when the trade went down and I know we were passing on Mendenhall, I was figuring there was a plan in place and I needed to trust it.

My next two posts in the thread, I really begin to dial into the reason for drafting the guy. I could see the advantages of it.

Another post into the thread, I stated that I expected we'd go RB in Round 3...which I think we did with the pick of Steve Slaton, IIRC.

The only pick that I think I have ever been really angry about was the Jason Babin pick. That we traded with the TITANS to get him, and how bad of a reach it appeared to be, I was furious. Furious! Other than him, I think I've kept my cool on draft day in those early rounds. Yay me!

HA, that first picture was his reaction after Chris Brown fumbled at the goal line against the Jaguars. It hurt so bad at the time, but now I laugh because Chris Brown is long gone!

But yes, D-Brown is a bad, bad man!

An apology from ESPN...

By Paul Kuharsky

Dear Duane Brown,

When the NFL fined you $7,500 for punching Jacksonville’s Clint Session in a sideline interaction on Oct. 30, I took it as the final word on the matter. I wrote it put the issue to rest, confirming it was a punch as I believed, despite your denial.

In its speedy wisdom, the NFL has now retracted the fine, reports Mark Berman of Fox in Houston.

You were tripped for sure and braced yourself when you did. But that you did so with a closed first rather than an open palm was highly unusual to me. I guess that’s how you fall.

Rather than revisit my opinion and interpretation on the whole matter, I’d like to apologize for giving you so much grief over it.

Congrats on winning the appeal.

Again, my apologies.

Sincerely,
Paul Kuharsky

Way to man up PK.

Here was why I liked D. Brown when we drafted him:

After watching 4 VT games (06 Clemson, 07 UNC, BC, KS), I'm quite positive that Brown will become a better LT than Salaam at some point. He won all 4 matchups.

He dominated Kentwan Balmer (UNC) - Balmer lined up mostly at DE in this particular game.

And if we look hard at the opponents that VT faced, we'll see that Brown lined up against very good competition almost every single week.

E.Car: Marcus Hands DE (rated #34 by Walterfootball for 2009 draft)

LSU: Glenn Dorsey DE #5 pick
Tyson Jackson DE (rated #3 by Walterfootball for 2009 draft)
Kriston Pittman DE (rated #18 by Walterfootball for 2009 draft)
Al Woods DT (rated #3 by Walterfootball for 2009 draft)
Marlon favorite DT (rated #12 by Walterfootball for 2009 draft)

Ohio: Landon Cohen DE #216 pick
Jameson Hartke DT (rated #32 by Walterfootball for 2009 draft)

UNC: Kentwan Balmer DE #29
Hilee Taylor DE (rated #28 by NFLDraftcountdown) signed with Panthers

Clemson: Phillip Merling DE #32
Dorell Scott DT (rated #15 by Walterfootball for 2009 draft)
Rashaad Jackson DT (rated #33 by Walterfootball for 2009 draft)
Don't forget Gaines Adams

Duke: Vince Oghobaase DT (rated #5 by Walterfootball for 2009 draft)

BC: B.J. Raji DT (rated #14 by Walterfootball for 2009 draft)

Ga Tech: Adamm Oliver DE (rated #29 by NFLDraftcountdown)
Darrell Robertson DE (rated #15 by Walterfootball)
Michael Johnson DE (rated #1 by Walterfootball for 2009 draft)
Vance Walker DT (rated #4 by Walterfootball for 2009 draft)
Darryl Richard DT (rated #16 by Walterfootball for 2009 draft)

Fla.St.: Andre Flellen DT #87
Letroy Guion DT #152
Alex Boston DE (rated #40 by Walterfootball) signed with Jaguars
Neefy Moffett DT (rated #26 by Walterfootball for 2009 draft)

Miami: Calais Campbell DE (rated #11 by Walterfootball) signed by Cardinals
Antonio Dixon DT (rated #21 by Walterfootball for 2009 draft)
Eric Moncur DE (rated #16 by Walterfootball for 2009 draft)

Va: Chris Long DE #2
Jeffrey Fitzgerald (rated #29 by Walterfootball for 2009 draft)

KS: James McClinton DT (rated #25 by NFLDraftcountdown)
Russell Brorsen DE (rated #40 by NFLDraftScout

I watched a few more games after that.
I noted that he did get beat here and there, but obviously, the competition was very good so I wasn't concerned for the long run.

I did suggest that the Texans might be wise to let him split time with Salaam at the beginning.
But it took them a while to implement my suggestion (playing Salaam every third series, starting week 7).

Blocking downfield was his strength out of college.

I also pulled an article where coaches, teammates, and opponents marveled at his speed/motor; he was the first one downhill on ST coverage a few times (He had 7 tackles on ST and also blocked 3 kicks as a Sr.)

Oh, and he also "neutralized" Mario Williams when he played RT in his Jr. year against Mario's Wolfpacks.

The article I mentioned above is still fun to read.
You can find it here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/10/AR2006111001461.html

"He beats me down there sometimes," said cornerback Roland Minor, a gunner on the punt team. "We get down there, and I look over at him and we're neck and neck."

Against Clemson, Brown released quickly and charged down the field as a punt fell out of the sky into the arms of C.J. Spiller, one of the faster players in the country. Brown squared him up with the sideline to his left, funeled him that way and made the tackle alone. (CJ Spiller is a very very fast, quick, and speedy guy who ran a 4.27 at the combine.)

After the game, a Clemson assistant coach told Brown he had never seen someone his size run that fast.

"Every time we see him, we just say he's making more and more money," linebacker Brenden Hill said. "That's the joke around the locker room, that Duane is going to be a rich person very soon. We joke with him that he could have been a millionaire on offense or defense, because he's so aggressive and so intense that he could play any position and be good at it."

I have never bought a jersey of an offensive lineman, but I am really thinking about getting me a D. Brown jersey. Plus, he wears 76, my favorite number. :cool:

I have never bought a jersey of an offensive lineman, but I am really thinking about getting me a D. Brown jersey. Plus, he wears 76, my favorite number. :cool:

If you find out where one can be bought, Pleeeeeaze let us know.
:doot:

Man if D. Brown resigns I gotta get one of his jerseys. Speaking of that I need to order my JJ Watt jersey.......

LT is a concern if DB does not remain with us. I am hopeful the money allegedly stockpiled with
roster moves will go to address this concern. If he leaves, I guess they would re-sign Butler to a huge deal & shuffle him down the Oline rather than draft a LT and start over.

Back