Ahman Greene...On His Way Out?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Ali4Real, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Ali4Real

Ali4Real Guest

Do you think Ahman Greene is on his way out, meaning do you think the Texans FO well cut him by the end of the season if not before? And if the Texans do this well we take a CAP hit or anything?

:voodoo:

DEATH TO ROMO!

2. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

Kub's doesn't appear to have given up on him, yet. The problem is if we keep him on the regular season roster, it'll take away a space from some like Darius Walker who CAN play. I sorta get the feeling that Green has until Week 1 to get his rear end on the field. Otherwise they'll give him the axe.

Same could be said with Chris Brown. What a disappointment thusfar.

3. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Green has been a terrible disappointment no matter how you rationalize his value to the Texans & they're on the hook thru 2010 5.5, 6.5 mil per whatever- its too much. @ this point they need to cut their loses (Weaver too) period. even when healthy does he really bring that much more to the table than anyone else they have? think about it :lightbulb:

4. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I think when Green's healthy, he's our best all around back. Hands down. If he can give us 5-6 good games, it might be worth it. He just might NOT be able to. I can't really make that call from where I'm sitting because I haven't seen ANYTHING from him except for 1 play.

But at this point, this has to be considered one of the few bad moves that Smithiak has made and you have to wonder how much of it came from Sherman lobbying for one of his old players.

5. Bull Pen 1

Bull Pen 1 Hall of Fame

I say cut him, he is not worth the roster spot. He was hurt in what the first or second week of last season and the first play of this preseason. If I'm correct he gets a bonus for making the starting day roster of 4 or 5 million dollars and plus his salary. The chanches he will make it thru the season might be 1%.

While we at it cut Brown also.

We can pich up a player if we fell we need another running back. Sure the new one wouldn't have practiced with the Texans but, Green and Brown hasn't either. The only advantage Green and Brown has is they might have been studying the playbook.

6. Hook'er

Hook'er Veteran

I agree beerlover, we can thank ol' Sherman for this mistake!:texflag:

7. Vinnie

Vinnie with an I E

He certainly looked it in the two traininig camps I got to attend, then again the defense looked awesome swarming tackle dummies so...:shrug:

8. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

I think we'll hold onto one of either Green or Brown, and since we're not at practices like the coaches are, all we can do is hope they keep the one who is toughest and more likely to play.

9. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I say cut Green and Brown, of what use are they if they never play?

10. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

I see Brown getting cut first. Green starts first game or hes gone.

11. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

This is what I keep hanging on to. I hate to give up on him, because he just looked so impressive in TC. My faith took a major blow when he went down after 1 play, but I want to see what he can do in the first game.

12. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I don't think we can go into the 16 game season with the combined experience of Slaton, Walker, and Taylor. I think we need either Brown or Green, and I think Green is hands down better than Brown

13. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

In theory, I would agree, but what do we need them for if they can't play through their injuries? If it's simply their experience being helpful to the rookies, isn't that also the coaches job?

14. bigbrewster2000

bigbrewster2000 4th Infantry

Sure we can, Denver is doing the exact same thing with their RB's. They could do it but they probably wont. Green it is. Brown needs to be cut if he cant get on the field. Green will be hopefuly, but at this point I truly hope neither one make the team. Roster spots are way too precious to fill them with injury prone RB's.

15. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Part of me - the conspiracy theorist part - is beginning to wonder if this little "injury" is a Kubiak ploy to save Green from any serious preseason damage (see Jason Taylor, Osi Umenyiora, etc.) given that Ahman is... well... old.

And then, come opening day, a "miracle" will occur and Green'll look just fine.

...At least for a half.

Edit:
    another reason for doing this is to see what Chris Taylor and Steve Slaton are made of. They pretty much know what they've got in Green and Walker. Brown has something of a decent (when healthy) resume' too. The only real questions were (1) is Taylor all the way back? and (2) Can Slaton really play with the big boys? Can't find those things out if Green/Brown take all the 1st team reps - which they should if healthy.

Wouldn't be the first time we've been led astray by NFL medical reports.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
    SeƱor Stan and Sideline like this.
  16. BigWig

BigWig Bigimus Wigimus

He should change his name to Ahman Bennie Tony Green Joppru Boselli!

17. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I can't remember anything Ahman Green has done impressive on the field as a Texan, nothing in two years. impressive in training camp, please...was their contact involved? For reasons I can't explain the Texans have fallen in love with his workouts, they like his speed, cuts, blocking technique, ability to catch the ball out of the backfield his overall athletic ability forgetting the most important factor (his heart) for a RB- COMPETITIVNESS. somehow, someway they forgot to measure his heart, love of the game to be on the field, healthy or hurt helping his team win, to compete like a gladiator on the field of battle :crutch:

18. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

The problem with this is that Ahman has a bonus due to him if he makes the 53 man roster. So, if you're going to cut him, it would make fiscal sense to do it before Saturday. If you don't cut him then, you might as well keep him on for the rest of the season and hope he gives you something.

19. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

I have a DREAM! Slayton will be the AP of 2008!! Hey, it's MY dream, leave me alone!!:)

AP was my sleeper rookie last year for my FF team. THANKS to him, my wallet got a little bigger at the end of the season! I'm just wondering if Slayton could be that guy this year! (just wondering!!)

20. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

AP, as in Adrian Peterson?

Have any openings in that league?