Ahman Green vs Jacoby Jones

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texan JBZ, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Texan JBZ

Texan JBZ Da Sip's Finest

I keep reading reports on how Kubes & Co. are not sure if Jacoby Jones will even keep his job with the team, yet are hopeful that Ahman Green will be ready to carry the load once the season starts. WTF?!?:foottap:

Jacoby has made some mistakes this preseason, for sure. But at least he has been on the field to make these mistakes we're seeing. If the Texans decide to cut Jacoby and keep Ahman Green, I for one am going to be royally pissed! I've been super-hard on Amobi this preseason, but I understand that he is only a second year player. This organization can't give up on young players who are making mistakes that young players make for washed-up vets who are doing nothing at all.

Another report coming from the Texans front is that Chris Taylor will be getting work at FB this week. Mistake #2. Either the guy is a RB or not. Let him continue to work at RB to see if he gets any better. He is running hard in my opinion. He just is a little rusty right now. I see him getting a lot better about 3 games into the season if he's given the chance. It's time for the Texans to cut their losses with Ahman Green and move on. Give Jacoby and our young players more time to grow Kubes!

stingray likes this.
  2. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I'll say one thing. If the Texans sell this "Ahman Green will be ready to go in three weeks" story and he doesn't go out there in week one and light it up (or worse carries the ball 5-10 times and then leaves the game) then people are going to be pretty damned furious. Very few seem to buy this story now and if someone doesn't step up and stand out in the next week or two then everyone is going to turn their attention to Ahman Green on September 7th and they better see a feature back running better than anyone we've seen in preseason.

It'll get ugly if he does nothing, we can't run the ball, and the Texans lose by a lot.

3. Hook'er

Hook'er Veteran

I say it's time for JJ to go!:whip:

4. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

JBZ dribbles the ball up the court, he drive past the defender, he goes for the lay-up!!!!! *boom* BLOCK SHOT!!!! J-Russ say get that crap out of here.

No where did I see Kubiak saying that Jacoby is endanger of being cut, it's all speculation by the posters here in TT.

5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

At last Jones has a chance to redeem himself in the final 2 preseason games. Green is just gonna sit it out and wait for the guaranteed money. I'm rooting for Jacoby. I'm hoping Smith & Kubiak come to their senses on Green.

6. Ckw

Ckw Guest

I really don't understand the turncoat attitude on this board. Last year Jacoby was the Messiah. This yeah he has a few fumbles (yes they were ridiculous fumbles) and you want to crucify him. I just have this terrible fear that we release him and the Titans pick him up only to be the star receiver Tennessee has been needing and Vince Young turns into Jesus in cleats.

The kid still has tons of potential. He just seems nervous out there. He is trying to do too much with too little, which is a problem I think we can work with.

7. 281

281 Hall of Fame

agreed. as for green, he can go... the sooner, the better. i'd love to see us draft a power back in round 2 or 3 next year to compliment slaton.

8. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I find it funny people are jumping on Jones performance but had no problem last year prior. He was making strides at the end of the year. Guys like David Anderson are very easy to cheer for. Hard workers and effort guys. But at the end of the day as much as I or anyone likes what the guy does he doesn't have the upside of Jones. It's his second year from a small school and he missed a fair amount of time his rookie year after hurting himself on an electric punt return against the Colts. I think he'll be given til the end of his rookie contract before we see him cut straight up from the squad. Until then he needs to relax,keep within his bounds, and not try to force something that isn't there.

Green I won't defend. One run and pulling up after not even getting touched. All I can do is piggyback on Herv's statements about Green and hope in the meantime someone on the staff can step up and be enough of a complimentary back to Steve Slaton. I also hope Kubiak doesn't ride him in the ground come start of the season and rotates him out.

9. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

I wonder what kind of message it sends to the rest of the team if Green isn't cut and is handed the starting job for however many plays he lasts next season.

10. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

Jacoby Jones has zero touchdowns, 500 total return yards and 150 receiving yards. Ahman Green is a 4 time pro-bowler that has 2800 receiving yards in his career. Oh yeah, and a career rushing average of 4.5 yards per carry.

I'll take questions about health over question about attitude 10 times out of 10.

Kaiser Toro likes this.
  11. Texan JBZ

Take a look at Thomas Hilton's update on his blog on chron.com Smart-Arse!

12. Texan JBZ

Seconds:goodpost:

13. 281

281 Hall of Fame

i will be SHOCKED if we cut jones.

14. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

That if you have 9,000 career rushing yards and 56 touchdowns, you get the benefit of the doubt?

15. Texan JBZ

Really? Ahman Green has had an outstanding career, no doubt:tiphat:. But let's check out how much of those career stats he's added to with the Texans, which is all I care about:

In 6 games last year, he rushed 70 times for 260 yards, or an average of 3.7 yards/carry with 2 rushing TDs. He also had 14 receptions for 123 yards and no receiving TDs.

So, out of all his career achievements, he's only contributed 383 total yards from scrimmage for the Texans. "Give me, 'Questions about attitude' for 650 Alex."

16. TheRealJoker

Some might think, if you have a large pay grade you get handed the starting job without doing anything on this team to earn it.

17. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Said T Bosseli to Dominic Davis/W.

:coffee:

18. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Whatever gave you such a silly idea?..:rolleyes:

:coffee:

19. TheRealJoker

Why Anthony Weaver and Ahman Green of course!!! :splits:

20. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

Do we have any instances of Kubiak going with a vet where the cheaper alternative was clearly better?

On the other hand, we've had a lot of vets send packing.