Aggies hire new coach, Sumlin.

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by kiwitexansfan, Dec 10, 2011.

1. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

LINK

Surprised people aren't all over this considering who it involves.

2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Really hasn't been confirmed yet. Sumlin resigned from University of Houston, but has not been officially announced as the HC of A&M.

3. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

here you go

http://www.aggieathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27300&ATCLID=205344845

4. Ktexan68

Ktexan68 Rookie

Gives me even more reason to hate the Aggies.

5. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Yeah, pretty much. Every Saturday I'm hoping UH wins, Baylor gets destroyed (That will be back on track as soon as RG3 leaves), and now I'll be watching out for that A&M score and hoping that the rest of the SEC does what I expect them to do.

6. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

I just wish the NCAA had rules about other schools tampering with coaches of other teams before the season is over. It just seems wrong to me.

For the 2nd time in what, 5 years the Coogs have been abandoned by their head coach right before a bowl game, and in this case, really abandoned before the conference championship game. Money makes the world go around.

I trust Keenum and the other senior players to take control and finish off their college careers with a big win over Penn State.

7. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

Plus me. I just began to like A&M for no better reason than they were the anti-Texas but now that's gone. It's back to them being the dorky school they've alway portrayed. Still love and thank the military men and women though.

Happy SEC, Giggy's.

8. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Now he gets to not win conference championships in the SEC.

9. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

I'm a huge TAMU fan and I couldn't agree more. I've always had a problem with the way these coaches leave their teams standing at the alter if you will. It is definitely wrong and they should have to wait until after their teams season is over.

That being said I hope he does great in College Station. He's got a tough road ahead in the SEC though. Gig 'em!

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

UoH is the runner up in the Conference USA

Georgia is the runner up in the SEC

Which Bowl game is UoH going to?

Which Bowl game is Georgia going to?

Which Bowl game is Southern Miss Going to?

Undefeated in Conference USA is the equivalent of 6 or 7 wins in the SEC.....

sakebomb likes this.
  11. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

The actual announcement was anti-climactic. Everyone has known it would be Sumlin for over a week. Reminds of the Texans delaying the announcement of Phillips' hiring as DC. The Texans said they were evaluating candidates, when Wade was in the bag.

The Aggies are way over their head heading into the SEC. Alabama, LSU, Florida, Tennessee, and Georgia recruit top classes, year after year. Sumlin is a good hire, because he has proven he has a system that can do more with less. And he should be able to get top QBs and WRs for his system, now. I guess it's time for UH to groom another head coach for some school with more $$$.

12. BeerTastesLikeVictory

BeerTastesLikeVictory Custom Title

My thoughts exactly. A&M was the school I watched most in the Big 12 and second to UH in the state of Texas. Used to like Tech until the Leach/James thing played out, used to like Baylor until Briles, used to like A&M until now, never liked UT. I guess maybe Ill adopt TCU as my secondary college team.

13. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think we need to put a call into UT and Tech and find out if either of them need us to start grooming their next HC. It just seems polite to check.

14. pbat488

pbat488 gig 'em

tweet from one of a&m's players today made me laugh..

15. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Not sure if this is a good fit going into the SEC. Sumlin has shown he can get an offense going and it would've been a great fit had they stayed in the offense, QB driven Big 12. He's going to have to get the defense way up past par to compete in the SEC.

But, if I was the AD I would've wanted someone who has big game experience as a HC or coordinator and have some experience in the hyper competitive SEC.

My pick would've been either Kirby Smart or Phil Fulmer.

Either way, I hope A&M is relegated to being the Iowa State of the SEC.

16. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

lmao!

17. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

I agree with this.. obviously they have a lot of work cut out for them. I am, however, very excited.

Call me nuts but I think this will have a bigger impact on A&M's recruiting than most realize. It can't hurt it, that's for sure.

18. pbat488

pbat488 gig 'em

he's coached in two national title games, five bcs bowl games, three big 12 championships, 2 c-usa championships and countless other big games throughout his career.

as for having experience in the SEC you're right on though.

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yep

Great hire Aggies, Hiring a HC that has never won a meaningful game in his life to lead your team into the SEC.

Ahhh, Like a bowl movement, I can feel great things in the Aggies future. LOL

20. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

I don't know if it's the loss of Sherman or the hire of Sumlin, but the 2012 A&M recruiting class this year is losing verbal commits. It's certainly not helping much. My biggest problem with the guy is that Sumlin hasn't been able to recruit defensive players at U of H this entire time. Their defense is pathetic in an easy conference. I don't think he's going to make much of an impact at all on recruiting, and it's going to kill us down the road.

But guess what! He doesn't need us to fire the entire coaching staff so he can bring in his own guys, so A&M saved money over hiring someone good! YAY! MONEY! WHOOOOOOOOOOOP!