Aggie Yell Leader: Paterno On His Deathbed

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by axman40, Dec 28, 2007.

1. axman40

axman40 Hall of Fame

2. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

he was sent home already. really a bad joke with poor taste, but nothing else to it IMO.

3. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Extremely poor taste which further questions the training of these "traditions."

4. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Stick to yells and leave the stand up to the professionals. The kid should have realized there's a line between (bad) humor and insult.

I'm guessing that the discipline won't end with him being 'sent home.' I think a personal apology from the kid to Paterno is in order. There were people who were quite shocked at the remarks, especially in the context of the setting, i.e., public mixed rally. I can see 'joking around' comments like this between a small group of friends at a tailgate but not this.

That said, some people will always want to get on their pedestals and make more out of this than what it deserves. Paterno had the right attitude about it. Something to the effect of "whatever ... some young guy trying [very unsuccessfully] to be funny." Move on and play the game.

TexansLucky13 likes this.
  5. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

see post 3 in this thread.

TexansLucky13 likes this.
  6. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

Come on now... we all knew that KT would be here sooner rather than later.

7. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

So you are all saying that it was in good taste and that being reactive in dismissing kids is the correct action?

No pedestal here, only logic in asking to not put kids in a position to fail while executing tradition. This blind Aggie Altruism used as a defensive countermesure makes it difficult for folks to warm up to a large part of Aggie nation.

Bonfire, swords, goalposts and this attempt at humor shows that some front end training, under adult supervision, needs to be addressed. Heck maybe training the trainers would be helpful as well.

8. rickyb

rickyb Scarlet is hot.

Kaiser,
    I cannot pretend to speak on behalf of all Aggie Faithful, but I simply have to believe, knowing what I know of Aggies, and as an Aggie myself, that we do not condone or endorse this behavior. The kid (and he is a kid) got carried away and crossed the line. It is not representative of the majority, and I would hope is not representative of the young man in general. (I do not know him, so I cannot say with certainty.)

A personal apology from him to Joe Pa is in order, and I fully believe will happen.

Swords. 1984. And it was an ***** move. 23 years is a long time between ***** moves.

(Bonfire NOT being an ***** move, but a tragic accident. Yes, engineering oversight is a start. I will just stop there.)

Goalposts. You will need to take that up with the Tech fans, since they were the ones to shove their own goalpost into our fan section. As I recall, several folks were injured and a few hospitalized. I would challenge anyone to come forward with a similar example of how Aggies treat visitors to College Station. It simply would not abide. Aggies would not tolerate it.

Let's not make this one incident, by an overzealous young man who happens to be in the public eye and who most certainly was in the wrong, into something it is absolutely not: an indication of some systemic behavioral problem in Aggieland.

All the best,
    Rick
    c/o 1990

GlassHalfFull likes this.

9. Ckw

Ckw Guest

I don't really care to listen to it. So what exactly did he say? That A&M should beat Penn State since they have a coach on his death bed? Maybe I simply don't have any respect for the elderly but if that's all he said, I have no problem with his comment. I don't condone it, and personally would be intelligent enough not to say it. I just think everyone is always looking for something to get their panties in a bunch over. People are too sensitive. It's a game and smack talk is involved. It's part of what makes it fun. Just my opinion.

10. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

I wasn't offended by anything they said, I was more offended by their flaunting their lifestyle. If you want to be gay that is fine, but let's not demonstrate manlove in public like that. Things like that are actually disturbing to most straight males.

TD likes this.
  11. Ckw

Ckw Guest

This coming from a t-sip. Oh the irony...

12. Hookem Horns

Say what you want but in Austin you have to walk into a place like Oilcan Harry's on 4th to see something like that.

13. rickyb

rickyb Scarlet is hot.

Kev,
    So you KNOW where Oilcan Harry's is, eh? (j/k)

:)
    Rick

14. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Paterno's response:

Although the original comments did not sit well with me, I think if the person that it was intended for (Paterno) is not offended then everyone else should back off...

15. rickyb

rickyb Scarlet is hot.

I agree with you, Bill. My long-winded response probably could have been shortened to my last simple statement about not making sweeping stereotypes. I thought I sensed this taking a wholly inappropriate trajectory, so I wanted to nip it in the bud with my earlier response. There I go, saving the world, one message board thread at a time. ha-ha.

Anyway...

all the best,
    rick

16. Hookem Horns

My 2 favorite pubs in Austin are right across the street (Fado's and Gingerman). We occasionally sit on the patio of Fado's or Gingerman. Since the patio is facing across the street you can't help but see guys like those in that Aggie video lining up to get into Oilcan's. It can be quite the freak show on some nights.

17. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

A likely story.... :rolleyes:

18. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

I'll say this; JoePa is a class act all the way around. I really like that he made his team clean up the stadium after the problems they had in the off season.

As far as the Aggies and our traditions, its like riding a Harley Davidson, you don't understand and can't explain it. Further, no amount of training would have helped the Yell Leader. You can't train away youth and inexperience.

Hagar '96

19. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

That is my point. Have a training for any club or tradition so this all goes back to youthful exuberance and does not fall on the school.

UT Fan who married an Aggie and contributes money to the Aggies every year '97

20. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

So, if you can't train away youth and inexperience, then I don't understand your point. Do away with the traditions? That's part of what makes A&M great.

PS: Thanks for the donation! :coolb: