After PR fiasco, "Big D" now saying it wasn't our Super Bowl

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by IDEXAN, Feb 10, 2011.

1. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Super Bowl XLV brought Arlington unprecedented national attention, but that spotlight actually hurt the city's image, according to national survey results released Thursday morning.

The study from San Diego-based Competitive Edge Research & Communication found that those with a "very" or "somewhat" positive opinion of Arlington dropped from 17.5 percent before the game to 14.9 percent after the game. The percentage of people who saw Arlington in a somewhat positive light increased slightly, but those with a very positive impression dropped from 10.2 percent to 5.6 percent.
    http://superbowlblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/02/national-survey-finds-that-arl.html
    &&
    What a bunch of hypocritical wind-bags those guys are in Dallas.
    All we heard about for months and months, even years was this grand Super Bowl Dallas was going to stage for the world, but now that it's turned out to be a PR fiasco they say no, it's Arlingtons Super Bowl, not ours. We know nothing.
    How's that old saying go ? "Success has a thousand fathers, but failure is an orphan" ?

2. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

figures....even more reason for the surrounding cities in the "metroplex" like ft. worth & arlington to hate those dallas chumps.

3. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

To be fair, Ft Wth and Arlington are both shitholes compared to Dallas. Especially if you count the suburbs.

4. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

One week prior to the SuperBowl, predictions were that the week of SB would generate ~10.1 billion dollars, 200 million dollars for Dallas and immediate surrounding areas........the majority within Dallas proper. Who knows how the weather affected those numbers. No matter, this SuperBowl was pushed predominantly for Dallas and Jerry.....with the NFL licking their chops. Despite planning to make earth shattering money, as it turns out, they all ended up closer to sucking lemons.

5. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Fort Worth >> Dallas.

6. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

Dude you need to know what your talking about before you spit all over the boards. Arlington and Ft Worth are steeped in traditions and are staple cities in the metroplex, I could name a few towns in the metroplex that might be sub par to Dallas but the two you named are far from the shithole you think you know about.

7. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Lets put it this way, the "PR fiasco" was so bad for Dallas that it might actually hurt Houston's chances at getting another bid. People in Jacksonville are laughing at Dallas right now. Do we have a :jerrypalm:? If not, we need to get one.

8. GuerillaBlack

Arlington is a POS suburban city. Fort Worth is cool though.

9. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Are you kidding me? Ft. Worth is one of the nicest cities out there with a great downtown scene, a great college and has real people. Ft. Worth is old money and not some made up shiek b.s. You need a reality check. My sis lives in the nice areas of Dallas and I like it but prefer Ft. Worth. Great neighborhoods too.

10. Texaninlild

Texaninlild Hall of Fame

WTH are talking about downtown Ft Worth is nicer than downtown Dallas.

11. JimBaker488

JimBaker488 Veteran

I'd like to spend a Saturday night in that Sundance Square area. They've probably got some nice hotels there, excellent retail, comfortable wateringholes and other places of interest ?

12. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

how dare you have your own opinion.

bah007 likes this.
  13. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

As a party place for things like the Superbowl Arlington is not a good place. Only a couple of night clubs of any size and/or quality, no liquir stores, none of those shady "massage" places and has run out all the "classy" strip clubs leaving like two or three skank joints. Basically, nothing for guys trying to get their party on. while there are decent amount of mid range hotels, no overdone, overpriced palaces. The residents here are also convinced that public transportation is only for people who can't afford cars (seriously). What Arlington has been tapping dancing around is trying to be a destination place (six Flags, Rangers and Cowboys), but also be a family oreinted suburb...sorry dudes really can't do both forever. Until more people understand that the "underbelly" is a part big sports stadiums and big sports events, the entire Metroplex is not going to reap the rewards it thinks it should.

BTW, when my wife and I go out or have close weekends away we go to Fort Worth way more often than Dallas.

14. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Just when you thought that things couldn't look any worse.........IT DOES!...........JERRY, YOU LOW LIFE!!!!!

15. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Reliant had complete positive reviews all around and yet the league isn't even considering it anymore.

16. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

Thanks to a "wardrobe malfunction." I know it was not the Texan's fault that it happened in their house. But it did happen there and the stigma will remain.

17. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

good point, i retract my statement

18. GuerillaBlack

I wouldn't blame it on the wardrobe malfunction. I blame it on the small market owners fighting with the big market owners. The only large markets that have been getting it lately are the ones with new stadiums and Miami (because the owners bribes the others with free yachts for the week). I highly doubt Janet Jackson is the reason why Houston hasn't hosted another SB yet. That's like saying Christina Aquilera is the reason why DFW won't host another. MTV just isn't allowed to produce another halftime show for a while. In fact, if you guys remember, Houston was almost guaranteed another SB in 2008 or 2009, due to the great job the city did (parties were in one place), but then the owners starting fighting. It was a Mardi-Gras type atmosphere in Downtown that weekend:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stemp likes this.
  19. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

Ft Worth is the dirtiest city I have ever been to. There is a small downtown culture district that is nice, but once you get out of the strictly downtown area everything else is terrible. It's nothing but industrial parks. The whole city is basically one big industrial park minus downtown.

Dallas on the other hand has all sorts of different cultural areas, including lots of places to go at night, all sorts of bars and clubs and venues. There are shitty parts of Dallas, lots of them, and the middle of Dallas might not compare to the middle of Ft Worth, but besides that Dallas rules Ft Worth.

Though you're not 21 so I can see how things might be different.

20. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

Outside of the downtown scene, Ft Worth is trash. Colleges are almost always nice, so the fact that Ft Worth has one isn't that spectacular, though I gotta say that although TCU is not Texas Tech or A&M, it's still a conservative christian school... not exactly the kind of thing that promotes vibrant college scenes like you see in Austin.

Dunno what old money has to do with anything. If you mean they spent old money building industrial parks then ya, I agree with you.