After Gene Upshaw died, union paid his widow $15 million

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by CloakNNNdagger, May 5, 2011.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

And this is why the NFLPA says they existed........to benefit and protect their players...........select players. Don't know if this is more sad or more sorry.

link

2. Blake

Blake MMQB

I understand why unions exist, and there is no denying that they have helped labor workers in the past, but in today's game they are just greedy bastards.

But I do agree that the $15 million could be better used on ex players and not Gene's widows trust fund.

3. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Pffffffffft!!! I've never been afraid to say, EFFFFFF the unions!

4. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I think people need to be aware of what deferred compensation is. This is compensation that was earned by Upshaw during his 25 years history as Executive Directer, and instead of receiving all money during that time a portion is deemed deferred compensation. Some of this could be related to retirement accounts.

With that said, he was making a ridiculous amount of money and I think the players are completely warranted in feeling cheated.

Edit - Let's be clear here, it's not the $15MM that was paid to his widow that's the real issue. That's not a lump sum they came up with and said "here". The real issue is that he was earning an incredible amount of money during his tenure with the NFLPA that led to this deferred compensation. He "earned" this money in the past and I think we all agree that's completely not right.