Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

AFC South Standings....a little help

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
A friend of mine have an argument here. He keeps saying that if we win next week and Tenn loses we clinch the division. I say we would only be up 3 games with 3 games to play including one game left to play against them.

Which is true?

A friend of mine have an argument here. He keeps saying that if we win next week and Tenn loses we clinch the division. I say we would only be up 3 games with 3 games to play including one game left to play against them.

Which is true?

We'll clinch next week with win, TEN loss because of tiebreakers. (better conference record IIRC)

Which is true?

One more division win and they clinch , meaning that if they beat the Dolts ..... the division is theirs based upon tie breakers.

Which is true?

Our magic number for the division is two.
Two wins by the Texans, two losses by the Titans or 1 win by us AND one loss by them clinches the division for us.

How bout just winning out and the rest is moot?

Raise the divisional banner in Reliant before the least games against the Tacks.:fans:

Link

A win over the Cincinnati Bengals, combined with a win by the New Orleans Saints over the Tennessee Titans, will give the division to the Texans.

How? I am glad you asked.

Even if, after the above scenario, the Texans lose out to end the season at 10-6 and the Titans win out to tie them at 10-6, the Texans would own the deciding tiebreaker.

- The first tiebreaker between two tied teams within a division is head-to-head record. The Texans and Titans, under this scenario, would be 1-1.

- The second tiebreaker between two tied teams within a division is division record. The Texans and Titans would finish 4-2, per the scenario.

- The third tiebreaker between two tied teams within a division is record against common opponents. This is Indianapolis (x 2), Jacksonville (x 2), the four NFC South teams, and the four AFC North teams. The Texans would win by one game – Houston's 8-4 to Tennessee 7-5.

Go 1 and 0 the next two weeks .... and nothing the Tits do matters - Division Champs.

I hope that's the case!!!

I really really want to at least beat the Colts and the Titans though. That would give as a 6-0 division record to go along with our division championship!

We're still fighting for playoff seeding, primarily with New England and Baltimore. If we're 1st or 2nd seed we would get the first round bye and that would be very very very nice.

Beat Tennessee in the last game and none of the others matter. Division champs.

Office-Space.jpg

Yeah....is there any way you could come in this Sunday
and do it instead of waiting three friggin' weeks?​

I really don't want to see them coast even if the division is clenched. The reason we keep winning is an overwhelming desire to win I don't want them to be OK with loosing any game even if we own the division. Keep that dominating avenue

there is a sceranio were we lose to tenn last game and we still make the playoffs but have to fance tenn again the next week in the wildcard game

and IMO we would want to lose to tenn wk17 cause if not we play San deigo in the wildcard

there is a sceranio were we lose to tenn last game and we still make the playoffs but have to fance tenn again the next week in the wildcard game

and IMO we would want to lose to tenn wk17 cause if not we play San deigo in the wildcard

I'd absolutely love to play a team that's currently 4-7 in the Wildcard round. Too bad there's no way in the World SD's going to the post-season.

Ok lets just put this into perspective. Assume The titans lose. Now lets assume we lose this sunday as well! Does that mean we clinch if we win our next game? No matter if tennesse wins out? Nobody has mentioned this scenario so I am just curious.

Ok lets just put this into perspective. Assume The titans lose. Now lets assume we lose this sunday as well! Does that mean we clinch if we win our next game? No matter if tennesse wins out? Nobody has mentioned this scenario so I am just curious.

Yes. In that case we would win based on the divisional record (5-1 vs 4-2) with a win over Indy instead of common opponents.

The environment in Sunday's game show why it is crucial the team continues to play hard and try to get guaranteed home field advantage during the playoffs.

Yes. In that case we would win based on the divisional record (5-1 vs 4-2) with a win over Indy instead of common opponents.

Well I actually meant the carolina game not the Indy game but yeah that works too. I wonder how the saints are feeling about the titans.....time to go check the boards!

Actually I'm pretty sure if we beat CAR but lose to CIN, IND and TEN while TEN loses to NO but beats JAC, IND and HOU -> The Titans would win the division.

If that were to happen, this is how things would shake out:
Overall: Texans (10-6) : Titans (10-6)
Head-to-Head : Texans (1-1) : Titans (1-1)
Division Record: Texans (4-2) : Titans (4-2)
Common Games: Texans (8-4) : Titans (7-5)
Conference Games: Texans (7-5) : Titans (8-4)

Carolina is the least important game for us because they're out of conference. New Orleans is Tennessee's least important game for the same reasons. All other games are either division, conference or common.

Fixed. Only un-common games are the 2 we play against each other, an AFC East team (MIA-HOU, BUF-TEN) and an AFC West team (HOU-OAK, TEN-DEN). We lost to Oakland, Tennessee won both games.

Fixed. Only un-common games are the 2 we play against each other, an AFC East team (MIA-HOU, BUF-TEN) and an AFC West team (HOU-OAK, TEN-DEN). We lost to Oakland, Tennessee won both games.

Yes yes, that's correct. The L to NO would give Tennesse 5. Thanks!

Any 1 W for the Texans plus any 1 L for the Titans gets us there.

Go 1 and 0 the next two weeks .... and nothing the Tits do matters - Division Champs.

That's correct. Right now, it's two wins (11-5) to win the division until Tennessee loses another game.

If we lose next week & they win, you can bet they will do their best to try to win out.

Chances of them beating New Orleans.... it's pretty close to nil. but with a play-off berth for the Houston Texans on the line, I can almost guarantee you they will beat the Saints.

1 & oh is where the Texans need to be focusing their attention.

Best solution I've seen so far. :)

I'm not a big pot smoker. But the last time (which was only the second time) I smoked that crap it had me so paranoid I couldn't walk straight.

Slowing down, speeding up, slowing down... everybody's watching I was eventually walking in circles & everybody was wondering what I was doing.

Didn't help that I was at work at the time.

:kitten:

If we win next week, that will give us 10 wins.

If Tennessee loses next week, that will give them 6 losses. The best they can possibly do at that point, would be to go 10-6. If we lose to Indy, then again to Tennessee, our conference record is better than theirs & we win the division (I think).

If we both lose, we can possibly finish with 12 wins. The Titans would still be stuck with a max of 10 wins, so we still do not clinch.

We won't really clinch the South, unless Tennessee loses two more or we win two more, or they lose one & we win one.

Any combination of Texans wins and/or Tennessee losses that equal 2 from here on out, will give the Texans the South title.

1 Houston win vs. Cincy + 1 Titans loss vs. Saints = 2. Texans clinch.

0 Houston wins vs. Cincy + 1 Titans loss vs. Saints + 1 Houston win vs. Carolina = 2. Texans clinch.

0 Houston wins the rest of the season + 2 Titans losses = 2. Texans clinch.

The Titans only have teams left that the Texans have played. With already 4 losses against common opponents, 2 losses would give them more losses against common opponents (6) than the Texans would have if they were to lose out (5). Texans clinch.

Any combination of Texans wins and/or Tennessee losses that equal 2 from here on out, will give the Texans the South title.

1 Houston win vs. Cincy + 1 Titans loss vs. Saints = 2. Texans clinch.

0 Houston wins vs. Cincy + 1 Titans loss vs. Saints + 1 Houston win vs. Carolina = 2. Texans clinch.

0 Houston wins the rest of the season + 2 Titans losses = 2. Texans clinch.

The Titans only have teams left that the Texans have played. With already 4 losses against common opponents, 2 losses would give them more losses against common opponents (6) than the Texans would have if they were to lose out (5). Texans clinch.

That made my brain hurt

That made my brain hurt

We win 2, we win the division.

We win 1, TN has to lose 1 in order for us to win the division.

We start to play like Indy, then TN has to lose 2 in order to shoot themselves in the leg and give us the division.

Magic number is 2. And with 4 games left, that means we control out own destiny. That's what any team in the playoff hunt wants down the home stretch.

The "kids" ought to be amped up to win this week since it will be an opportunity for them to achieve a franchise record.

Let's do our job and let the chips fall where they may...
:fans:

Back