adrian wilson fined

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by hot pickle, Oct 11, 2008.

1. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

2. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I've been saying it for the last couple of years now.

The NFL is WAY WAY WAY too over-protective of offensive players, especially QB's.

3. Mailman

Mailman Pwned by Hakeem

Wilson's hit was a clear and obvious violation of the rule as written by the NFL rulemakers:

“A defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down and land on top of him with all or most of the defender’s weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap up or cradle the passer with the defensive player’s arms.”

Starting quarterbacks are essential to the success of the NFL and compensated thusly, so the logic behind these protectionary rules is very clear. Wilson broke that rule by unnecessarily driving Edwards into the turf. A defender can still deliver a wicked hit on the quarterback, he simply needs to take some minimal evasive action in those situations, i.e. rolling his body slightly over or off of the quarterback.

I agree with the NFL's decision in this case. However, the result of that play reminded me of last year's b.s. decision by the NFL front office to refrain from fining Fat Albert for his hit on Schaub. He did the exact same thing, intentionally falling on Matt with all of his weight without taking any evasive action.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008