Adrian Peterson

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by ASTRODOME2002, Oct 6, 2006.

1. ASTRODOME2002

ASTRODOME2002 Rookie

Perhaps the Texans passed on Reggie Bush knowing that Peterson would be available in next years draft. Peterson is a bigger and more durable back than Bush and should be able to carry the rock 15 to 20 times per game. Bush, on the other hand, is more of a pass receiver than a running back. Bush is looking more like Eric Metcalf every passing day.

2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Perhaps they passed on Reggie thinking they had enough to trade up for Maroney/Williams??

just maybe.

3. Holden135

Holden135 Veteran

Im not a big fan of Peterson with the Texans. In this day and age running backs have short careers. They take a lot of pounding and break down after only a few years. Peterson is in his third year of being a feature back at Oklahoma. He will have a lot of mileage on him once he comes to the nfl. I don't see him producing for too long in the nfl. Plus he has already had injury problems in college.

4. WiiBrawler

WiiBrawler WiiMan

Hopefully were not in a position to draft him:rolleyes:

5. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

You obviously haven't watched him play or Ok. play.

He does not play a lot when the game is out of hand. He also has recorded recently a 4.3 40, and jumping onto a 36in. high box while holding a 45lb weight in each hand. Simply put, he is an athletic freak who's body is not "breaking down". He had an injury last year, he's over it. He is going to be good in the NFL. Not many rookie RB's have the ability to truely run over you or around you. He does.

6. Frills

Frills Veteran

The injury bug from last year was a high ankle sprain which he kept trying to play through. At least he's willing to try to play versus a RB who won't play till he feels 100%...after being told his knee will never feel the way it once did

7. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I like AP but, #1 i don't think that we will be high enough to get him in the draft, #2 I do worry about the "tread on the tires" so to speak b/c he does take a pounding & #3 do you think that our coach would take him that high considering their position on drafting RB's?

8. Holden135

Holden135 Veteran

Im not saying he is breaking down now. I am saying he will break down early in his NFL career. D.D. didn't break down in college, but he sure is breaking down now. The more wear and tear on the players body the more it will affect him later down the road. I wouldn't like drafting a player with a top 3 pick (although i don't think we will have a pick that high) that has the wear and tear that Adrian does. He already had a significant shoulder injury his freshman year to go along with the ankle sprain from last year. Now he is in BIG 12 play. Even though it's not what it was 5 years ago, the teams still hate each other. He will have a target on his back for the rest of the season. I would put my money on the fact that he will have another injury this season that slows him down.

9. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

peterson isn't a 4.3 guy, so don't even bother with that stat.

also, marshawn lynch is a better back.

10. TexansCanes

TexansCanes All Pro

AP finished second in the State in the 100m behind Ivory Williams with a 10.33 in 2003, so he has the speed. I wouldn't be suprised if he ran a high 4.3 but a low 4.4 is probably more realistic.

11. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

Where's the proof he's more durable than Bush? He's missed more games in college the past two seasons than Bush did in 3.

I'm not sold on him having 4.3 speed but I'm definitely sold on it not mattering. The DLs and LBs that will be chasing him aren't running 4.3s so why does he need to?

Or is everybody falling back on the two misconceptions of:

1. Bigger = more durable
    2. 4.3 forty = great player

BTW, Laurence Maroney ran between a 4.47 and 4.49 forty at his pro day. WHEW, good thing the Texans didn't have an opportunity to draft that bust!!! :rolleyes:

infantrycak likes this.
  12. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

AP could be great. Look at his clips. He does everything a RB should do. Bush had the speed. Ap has speed and power.

13. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

runningback is probably the position player where speed matters the least. quick decision-making and reflexes are the most important. obviously you don't want a 4.9 guy out there, but a 4.3 guy or a 4.6 guy....whatever. as long as they know what to do.

14. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

don't tease me :drool:

15. HomeBred_Texan

HomeBred_Texan Hall of Fame

That's just wrong. I don't get how you could even say this. Records are made by someone all the time and they are made to be broken. Because someone has a great college career, doesn't mean they have been rode hard and put up wet. That is like saying a QB that has record stats won't last long in the NFL because his arm will soon be tired from throwing so many passes in college. These are young kids who are athletic and have a God given talent. We do not pass on the chance to get someone with that gift...

16. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

Agreed.. I mean if that was the case why would Ricky Williams and Ron Dayne be still in the NFL... and heck..Tony Hollings (injury and all) ..well will leave that alone.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

funny thing about Ricky, he never so much had an ingrown toe-nail at UT. Come to the NFL, and his first three seasons are injury ridden...... prompting the 1st round selection of one DueceMcCallister.... who also all of a sudden has become injury plagued. I wonder if they figured out why they can't keep people behind their offensive line healthy.

I wonder why we can't keep anyone healthy behind our OLine.

18. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Bush, the SoCal girley-boy, couldn't run thru wrist tackles in 2 trys inside the
    5 at NOLA in the big game vs Hotlanta to get a TD. Now I understand why
    LenDale White was in the game and not Bush in that big play against the 'Horns in the Rose Bowl.
    AD has missed a lot of games, but he takes a lot of abuse when he runs because he runs hard, somewhat remininsent of the "Tyler Rose".
    Maroney is the man this year, a tremendous back who can run hard inside or
    with speed and shiftiness off tackle. And I think he can also catch the ball.
    He's doing in the NFL this year what Reggie Bush and his ESPN entourage had hoped Bush would do.

19. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

ricky or Cedric Benson?

20. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan