Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Adam Schefters thoughts on Carr from nfl network

I just listened to the report. He spoke in general terms, and stated that Carr would not return and a a trade could be possible. He suggested Plummer, but we may be able to get another teams backup as well through trade.

Texans - Carr + Plummer = Mega Cap hit

Better to Keep Carr + Sage and draft a development QB IMO. Open comp in cap and let the best man start. Otherwise I suspect we would be eating a large piece of cap crap sandwich.
I prefer an intermediate passing game over not taking a cap hit. The cap hit won't hurt the team as much as another year of dinks and dunks, inability to read a defense and a QB that is fine with handing the ball off and letting other players win the game for him.

I prefer an intermediate passing game over not taking a cap hit. The cap hit won't hurt the team as much as another year of dinks and dunks, inability to read a defense and a QB that is fine with handing the ball off and letting other players win the game for him.

Yeah, the more I refect on it, the cheap route might be the best way to go. Move Carr in what ever fashion, plan to play Sage, but pick up another lower level type of vet as insurance on injury and draft a guy that can take the team over in 1-2 years. Absorb all the cap hits & dead money over that period and we should be good to go.

Yeah, the more I refect on it, the cheap route might be the best way to go. Move Carr in what ever fashion, plan to play Sage, but pick up another lower level type of vet as insurance on injury and draft a guy that can take the team over in 1-2 years. Absorb all the cap hits & dead money over that period and we should be good to go.

My thoughts exactly!

I think your right. I think with Plummer you can open up the playbook more.

I agree, but what is cheap? Is Plummer's market value going to be more than a couple mil a year? Will he come on a one year deal to prove himself for a bigger contract? Same questions for Garcia. If either is looking for more than 2 years or more than $4 mil I would say no way, go with Sage and not worry about it. If either will sign a one year $3.5 mil contract or two year $4.5 or so contract then IMO I'd rather have a truly experienced starter starting than a career backup who excites the fans when playing behind unpopular QB's.

I agree, but what is cheap? Is Plummer's market value going to be more than a couple mil a year? Will he come on a one year deal to prove himself for a bigger contract? Same questions for Garcia. If either is looking for more than 2 years or more than $4 mil I would say no way, go with Sage and not worry about it. If either will sign a one year $3.5 mil contract or two year $4.5 or so contract then IMO I'd rather have a truly experienced starter starting than a career backup who excites the fans when playing behind unpopular QB's.

Good point, if we're talking about Garcia...... but Jake?? that experience isn't doing a bit of good in Denver.....

Actually, Garcia looked pretty bad in Cleveland & Detroit...... doubt he'll look so good in HOuston.

I'd go with Sage, Carr's the back-up...... this will be his final shot.

then we've got BVP & Q to develop.......

IMHO.... I'll forgive Kubiak, if Sage can help us win, as we build this team, waiting for a great QB prospect(like Jay Cutler, or Matt Lienart) instead of grabbing someone next year, and trying to force them into a starting role in the NFL.

Sage doesn't have to be great...... all he's got to do, is help us get to 500, and buy us some time.... 1 maybe 2 season, until a real QB prospect comes up.

Plummer = Carr

They're the same guy except Plumstache is a stinky hippie and Carr is a frat boy. Either way, they're getting high and listenin' to some Widespread Panic.
Plummer led his team to the playoffs twice...Cardinals and the Broncos...he can also throw the intermediate pass. His downside is the risk he takes with the ball and forces his passes too often. That is totally different than Carr's problems with his no risk, unable to read a defense, check down to the safe pass, unable to throw the intermediate pass with any accuracy, and 1 TD pass in a half a season Carr.

Plummer led his team to the playoffs twice...Cardinals and the Broncos...he can also throw the intermediate pass. His downside is the risk he takes with the ball and forces his passes too often. That is totally different than Carr's problems with his no risk, unable to read a defense, check down to the safe pass, unable to throw the intermediate pass with any accuracy, and 1 TD pass in a half a season Carr.

well..... yeah, but other than that they're the same guy...

and the hair thing.... and the mustache...

I seriously doubt that Plummer can take this team to a playoff situation, nor could he have taken any of the prior incarnations of this team.

On the other hand I do believe that Carr could have taken those Denver teams to the playoffs as well.:twocents:

I seriously doubt that Plummer can take this team to a playoff

I doubt that would be the expectation for him. Not that it would be a bad thing of course. Rather, to be a place holder for a year or 2 that can operate the offense reasonably compentently and perhaps help mentor the young guy. Not sure that's Jake mind you, but that is what I suspect that we will be looking for.

I seriously doubt that Plummer can take this team to a playoff situation, nor could he have taken any of the prior incarnations of this team.

On the other hand I do believe that Carr could have taken those Denver teams to the playoffs as well.:twocents:
You have that backwards....Denver could lead Carr to the playoffs since you just need to be barely over .500 to get there. Winning playoff games is another issue altogether....If you have David Carr and you are behind in any game and needed some big plays from the QB you are out of luck. At least Plummer can get the ball downfield and can read a defense.

That goes for just about every QB out there, because we've been a bad team for five years straight.

That is truly a matter of debate.

Originally Posted by ib4texans

[[B]QUOTE=Double Barrel;546881]That goes for just about every QB out there, because we've been a bad team for five years straight.[/B]Quote:
Originally Posted by ib4texans
On the other hand I do believe that Carr could have taken those Denver teams to the playoffs as well.

That is truly a matter of debate.

This is my point, as well as Vinny's staement that Denver could lead Carr to the playoffs. David Carr will never accomplish that in Houston, I don't think any QB gets as anywhere close for about 3 years.

Say what we will but Carr did play better here earlier in his career, he did pass downfield more and made better plays. His downfall at that time was trying to force things to happen, which we observed again this Sunday. Playing for this organization will always lead back to him trying to make the right decisions and making the plays to get us caught up.

He needs to be on a team that can hold onto the lead when they have it. I think AJ is agood reciever but Steve Smith is a real playmaker. He needs to go to a team that will foster him, a team that can stand on it's own without a highly productive QB(Baltimore,Chicago,Denver even the Giants)

Carr needs to go to an orginazation that will help him grow.

I don't think David will be back.

I don't think he even thinks that. On one segment of his 610 show he was even talking about the going to another team possibility and I've never heard him even say anything like that and I try to listen to him on a regular basis.

I think he knows the handwriting is on the wall.

This is my point, as well as Vinny's staement that Denver could lead Carr to the playoffs. David Carr will never accomplish that in Houston, I don't think any QB gets as anywhere close for about 3 years.

Say what we will but Carr did play better here earlier in his career, he did pass downfield more and made better plays. His downfall at that time was trying to force things to happen, which we observed again this Sunday. Playing for this organization will always lead back to him trying to make the right decisions and making the plays to get us caught up.

He needs to be on a team that can hold onto the lead when they have it. I think AJ is agood reciever but Steve Smith is a real playmaker. He needs to go to a team that will foster him, a team that can stand on it's own without a highly productive QB(Baltimore,Chicago,Denver even the Giants)

Carr needs to go to an orginazation that will help him grow.

yep, we're not in disagreement. :howdy:

Carr did look better - potential wise - earlier in his career. But experiencing hundreds of sacks will take that potential and condition it in a way that creates bad decision making processes, always detrimental to a solid, consistent QB.

I think Carr could succeed with a defense-dominant team, one that needs a QB to manage games within his abilities (and not lose them), but doesn't need a QB to put the game on his shoulders to win it. At this point, he's a mobile Trent Dilfer, IMO.

yep, we're not in disagreement. :howdy:

Carr did look better - potential wise - earlier in his career. But experiencing hundreds of sacks will take that potential and condition it in a way that creates bad decision making processes, always detrimental to a solid, consistent QB.

I think Carr could succeed with a defense-dominant team, one that needs a QB to manage games within his abilities (and not lose them), but doesn't need a QB to put the game on his shoulders to win it. At this point, he's a mobile Trent Dilfer, IMO.

We're in agreement, I would say and (I hate using this word) that his potential to grow on a team of this sort could leave in the role of playmaker 3 years down the road. (I know subject for debate)

I would rather keep Carr and groom a new QB than lose Carr, gain Plummer, and groom a new QB.

It seems like too much waste to me, and Plummer sucks. Besides, Kubiak would be the mentor for the new QB.

No more Bronco dung...

I think cheap is if you have to cut the sorry SOB, you don't feel like you just got punched in the gut from the cap hit you have to take.

The numbers you put up there sound good to me.

Plummer?

How many Bronco rejects are we going to sign?

As long as they produce, I don't care. In the last few games, Dayne has had almost 100 yds. This was with a crippled passing attack. So if this is the Broncos South and we have a similar record, I can deal with it.

As long as we don't wast money doing it. don't overpay for plummer when we're not going to make the playoffs anyway said:
Most of our(I talk like I'm a player) big losses have come from fumbles and interceptions. If they are removed or reduced than we could have a chance of winning. We would be a close to the playoff:marionaner:

Back