ABC Makes biggest Mistake in TV History!!!

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by The Mighty Texan, Dec 27, 2005.

1. The Mighty Texan

The Mighty Texan Rookie

Monday Night Football is OVER as we know it! I have sent many messages about this STUPID move leaving out 17 million viewers is Down Right STUPID!!! ABC will be dead last in the rating FOREVER now...

I will REFUSE to watch ANY ABC show from now on!!

The Mighty Dissapointed Texan!!

PS. I have cable but that ain't the point...

2. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Then you will not be watching the Superbowl this year.

3. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

If ABC gets rid of Football altogether (College and Pro)...the only thing on ABC I would watch is the George Lopez show.

TexanAlmighty likes this.
  4. Texizgreat

Texizgreat Veteran

coming from the cable industry... The reason for this move is that ABC ownes ESPN. With that said ESPN is the MOST EXPENSIVE non preimium channel going. So... ESPN will now no doubt next season raise its rates to the cable companys then in turn cable companys must raise is package that has ESPN in it.

For example locally
    Basic package does not carry espn 20 channles for 15ish dollars
    Sandard package DOES carry espn 50 channels for 30 ish dollars
    ESPN alone for in that package accounts for either $3.50 or $4.50 (need to look that up again)

Each customer that has standard package the cable co must pay ESPN (ABC) $3.50 or $4.50

to the person that said he would not watch ABC programming....well ESPN is ABC. That would be hard not to watch :ok:

5. LBC_Justin

LBC_Justin All Pro

Personally I am glad about the change. No more 2-10 teams playing 4-8 teams on National TV. We will actually get the games we want to see on Sunday nights.

I don't care if MNF is on ESPN.

6. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

I grew up with MNF in the early 70's - lived for Cosell's halftime highlights long before there was an ESPN Sportscenter - but I really don't get nostalgic about the ABC component. To me, the classic MNF broadcasts ended in the early 80's anyway so I don't care what network it's on as long as we get a game on Monday night.

7. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

I argee AJ, when Cosell left and the classic Monday Night Football theme song changed to the Hank Williams version, the nostaglia was gone.

I can just hear Cosell's voice at halftime going over Sunday's action. "Arrowhead Stadium, the New York Football Giants in town to take on the Chiefs."

8. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

But they're going to bring back Tim McGraw's half-time contribution, right!?!?! RIGHT!?!? :sarcasm:

Edit: I was hoping the "sarcasm" sing wouldn't be needed.

MNF has sucked for a long, long time and it has had nothing to do with the two teams on the field.

9. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

agreed I really enjoyed that this year

10. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

Huh? It's more than an idea now; it's a reality.

11. CenTexNative

CenTexNative Veteran

The main reason for ABC dropping Monday Night Football was due to dwindling broadcast tv audiences. But they did not want to drop it altogether. That's why it's going to ESPN2. I don't like it myself but can you really blame them for it?

12. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

MNF is still a top 10 show. Other than Lost and Desperate Housewives (who the heck watches that show?), what other show is rated that highly for ABC? Nothing. So this makes no sense to me. By the way, I am fairly certain it is going to ESPN, not ESPN2!

13. CenTexNative

CenTexNative Veteran

It just might be ESPN. Either way I won't be able to see it. It still sucks.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

How about another late night Info-mercial :penalty:

15. HomeBred_Texan

HomeBred_Texan Hall of Fame

Don't forget this was a trade off too. Now ABC will get the Sunday Night Game instead of ESPN. So we are not losing or gaining here. But I like the fact that ESPN will have total control over which games will be shown on MNF in the 2nd half of the season. If I heard correctly. We wont have to watch 2 losing teams battle for draft position.

16. Tale Gator

Tale Gator ________

When 75% of your games have boring matchups it's hard to get folks to watch.

17. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

Not too hard. MNF was still one of the top rated programs. I think this has more to do with trying to get more money out of cable operators for ESPN.

18. Txn_in_FL

Txn_in_FL Lucky 13

Like others are saying, MNF just hasn't seemed that relevent for a long time. I remember being a kid and it was a big deal to get to stay up for the game. Now you have SUnday night games, Thursday nights... nothing really special anymore.

Geez, I can still remember how I thought it was such a big deal when that other Houston football team finally got back on MNF. After years of futility they were back in the spotlight.

I think they lost.

:tv: Oh well.

19. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

NBC will get the Sunday night package.

MNF was a happening in the late 70's and early 80's. Cosell's highlight package and the accompanying music taught a generation how to play in slow motion. I am heading to Costa Rica today and my buddy I grew up with in Vegas is bringing his MNF highlight package for us to watch. It truly is one of those things that has spanned a lifetime as I was born in 1970.

20. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

The NFL wanted to move the Network Primetime broadcast to Sunday night to make it easier to change out games. It is easier to tell a ticket holder that their Sunday noon game is now at 8pm (or vice versa) than it is to tell them it is now on Monday night. I'm not sure how many times a year that NBC will have this option, but it should allow for better Prime Time matchups, which could boost ratings.

ABC had the option of getting that deal but didn't want to mess up its winning combination of Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy.