Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Aaron Maybin

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Is he a possibility at 15?
If he tests as well as I think, Maybin will likely be gone before the Texans pick at #15.

The Texans aren't in a position to be picky. They need a guy who can get to the QB. Whether it's from the DE, LB, or DT position. Maybin has the look of that type of player. Which is why I think he will go in the top 10 of a fairly weak draft.

Goldensilence

hipster elite
Question should be two fold. Will he be there at 15 after the combine and if not, who does that push down to us at 15?

Too small. He's a 3-4 end.
I think you mean a 3-4 OLB.

Maybin doesn't have a very mature body just yet. He isn't very refined with his moves. These aren't bad things to the NFL, but important to consider if projecting players. Maybin won't ever be a huge guy, but his body right now projects to hold some more weight as he matures. Every player (almost) gains some weight in the NFL; it's a matter of physically maturing and professional weight training. I think Maybin has the ability to stay at DE in a 4-3. He is going to have some issues initially because he lacks multiple, polished moves. This is what NFL coaching staffs are supposed to be able to coach up.

D-ReK

RAWWWRR!
I think you mean a 3-4 OLB.

Maybin doesn't have a very mature body just yet. He isn't very refined with his moves. These aren't bad things to the NFL, but important to consider if projecting players. Maybin won't ever be a huge guy, but his body right now projects to hold some more weight as he matures. Every player (almost) gains some weight in the NFL; it's a matter of physically maturing and professional weight training. I think Maybin has the ability to stay at DE in a 4-3. He is going to have some issues initially because he lacks multiple, polished moves. This is what NFL coaching staffs are supposed to be able to coach up.
Good post.

Maybin was 220 coming into PSU, and now he's around 245. After a year in an NFL training program, he should be up around 260, which would mean he'd basically be at the same height and weight as Jevon Kearse.

You're also right that he doesn't have many polished moves, and he is basically a speed rusher at this point, but many guys only have one move in college and blossom. I'd love to take Maybin, depending on who we get as a DL coach. Hopefully we're able to land someone who has a history of developing young players.

PHAROAH

Rookie
If he fell to 15 which I doubt then it will be a no brainer what we do. I think that with Maybin and Orakpo going high that Florida State DE Everette Brown will fall right into our laps.

The1ApplePie

Hall of Fame
There are a ton of pass rushers in this draft. There are so many that we could afford to go LB in the first and still get quality in the 2nd

badboy

Hall of Fame
I am for Raji @ 15 as there is good chance he will be there. We can pick a DE later such as Robert Ayers in 4th. On another thread there was much discussion on Maybin with I think most saying he needs a year of seasoning in NFL to be prime. DE to support Mario is not our primary need. There are no DTs imo that will stop run that can be had in day two later rounds. Now I would like some info on ROn Brace Raji's team mate. I want info this week on him in practices for senior bowl.

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
I'm wondering that if Green Bay takes a look at a pass rushing 3-4 OLB now that they have Capers as DC . They also might look at Raji as a NG since that somewhat vital for a 3-4 .

D-ReK

RAWWWRR!
Bronco's could be headed towards a 3-4 as well...
Yep. Cleveland needs another pass rusher too since McGinest is 37 and probably close to retirement. What this all adds up to is no Maybin, Everette Brown, or Raji for us. Maybe someone takes Tyson Jackson before we pick too. Here's a pipe dream, but with the teams switching to 3-4 and the fact that LB isn't really a glaring weakness on any of the 4-3 teams in front of us, how about Aaron Curry? :smiliedance:

Blake

MMQB
Yep. Cleveland needs another pass rusher too since McGinest is 37 and probably close to retirement. What this all adds up to is no Maybin, Everette Brown, or Raji for us. Maybe someone takes Tyson Jackson before we pick too. Here's a pipe dream, but with the teams switching to 3-4 and the fact that LB isn't really a glaring weakness on any of the 4-3 teams in front of us, how about Aaron Curry? :smiliedance:
You think Cleveland would take Maybin over Curry? Curry would be a really good ILB for them in the 3-4.

D-ReK

RAWWWRR!
You think Cleveland would take Maybin over Curry? Curry would be a really good ILB for them in the 3-4.
Cleveland is a mess on defense, but ILB is actually one of their strengths. Andra Davis and D'Qwell Jackson are both well above average. However, they are hurting for pass rushers. Wimbley appears to be regressing, McGinest is old, and there isn't any depth behind them. On top of that, their CBs are pretty bad as well. After the combine and pro days, Maybin will likely be a top 10 guy, so he could be an option, as well as Orakpo, Everette Brown, or Malcolm Jenkins. At this point, I don't think Curry to the Browns is a possibility.

b0ng

Bad Hombre
I need video footage of said pass rushers to competently make a decision on this. What I've seen of Everette Brown, he looks pretty good.

D-ReK

RAWWWRR!
I need video footage of said pass rushers to competently make a decision on this. What I've seen of Everette Brown, he looks pretty good.
Brian Orakpo

Everette Brown

Michael Johnson

There isn't a Maybin highlight video yet, but if you go here and check out the Michigan State and Ohio State games, you'll see quite a bit of Maybin, #59.

I'm in the process of obtaining a couple of PSU games so that I can make a Maybin highlight video, but it could take a little while.

b0ng

Bad Hombre
Brian Orakpo

Everette Brown

Michael Johnson

There isn't a Maybin highlight video yet, but if you go here and check out the Michigan State and Ohio State games, you'll see quite a bit of Maybin, #59.

I'm in the process of obtaining a couple of PSU games so that I can make a Maybin highlight video, but it could take a little while.
I like Brown and Orakpo more than Johnson. Johnson doesn't look like he's got the moves or the agility to be able to pull of what Brown and Orakpo can do.

I'm thinking that we're not going to get a choice between these players as much as we'll have a choice between positions. It'll probably come down to whether this pick will be an LB or a defensive lineman. The good secondary players always seem to miss us.

PHAROAH

Rookie
I think that Aaron Maybin is lock for the top 10 with Green bay & Cleveland in serious need pass rush OLB's for the 3-4 defenses. So that means that it all depends on what happens with the Denver Broncos as well and if they will switch to the 3-4 defense too so we can see a run on those undersized DE's that have the ability to move to OLB's such Brian Orakpo & Everette Brown as well so Houston may miss out on all 3 of the top pass rush ends before #15 so I think that we draft the best safety available in William Moore or if Rey Maualuga falls as well Demeco could be moved to the weakside as well.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
I like Brown and Orakpo more than Johnson. Johnson doesn't look like he's got the moves or the agility to be able to pull of what Brown and Orakpo can do.

I'm thinking that we're not going to get a choice between these players as much as we'll have a choice between positions. It'll probably come down to whether this pick will be an LB or a defensive lineman. The good secondary players always seem to miss us.
I agree. Brown and Orakpo would be perfect for us at 15 although Orakpo will be long gone by then. Johnson does not look like an NFL player to me though. He is a physical freak, but he plays with no emotion and no heart. He will also take the play off if it goes away from him. Not exactly someone we need on our defense.

Maybin does not have the size right now, but you have to wonder how good he will be if he puts weight on. He would be the perfect end opposite Mario, but there is no guarantee he would get to that level if he had to change his game and put weight on because he is mainly a speed rusher, where as Mario is a beast hybrid.

I would prefer Brown or Raij because they are the safest picks to me that could contribute immediately on the d-line. And we need that help.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I think it was john McClain that said he's in the Jason Taylor mold which was a perfect comparison of him imo....it also means that he'd probably be best suited for the 3-4....:cry2:

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
I think it was john McClain that said he's in the Jason Taylor mold which was a perfect comparison of him imo....it also means that he'd probably be best suited for the 3-4....:cry2:
Taylor made his name in the NFL from years and years of playing DE in
Miami's 4-3.

V3rm0nt3r

Rookie
is someone on this board actually agreeing with McClain? OH MY FREAKING GOD ITS THE APOCALYPSE!

J-Russ

Veteran
Scott has him going to us in his new mock:

15 HOUSTON TEXANS: AARON MAYBIN, DE, PENN ST.
Aaron Maybin | Penn St. Nittany Lions

Scouting Report

It's now clear that the Texans made the right decision when they chose Mario Williams over Reggie Bush but they still have issues at defensive end opposite "Super Mario". Anthony Weaver has not been the player they had hoped for and there is little or no depth to speak of so word is the Texans are looking for a pass rusher with this pick. Aaron Maybin is an interesting player who decided to enter the draft after an outstanding redshirt sophomore year (20.0 TFL | 12.0 Sacks) for the Nittany Lions. There is no denying that Maybin is an excellent pass rusher with great speed and athleticism but he checks in at just 236 pounds and really isn't physically ready for the NFL. With that said the Texans have shown a propensity for taking defensive linemen in round one and they obviously aren't afraid of taking chances on raw talents after choosing Amobi Okoye 10th overall a couple of years ago. There is even talk that he could go higher than this but whether it's Maybin, Everette Brown or Brian Orakpo look for Houston to target a pass rusher here. The Texans would also like to bring in a stud at safety but since Taylor Mays opted to return for his senior season there isn't one worthy of this pick. Keep an eye on the Dunta Robinson situation too because if he leaves as a free agent cornerback will all of the sudden become a big need as well.
http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

Also has us taking William Moore over Louis Delmas in the second round.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
I'm wondering that if Green Bay takes a look at a pass rushing 3-4 OLB now that they have Capers as DC . They also might look at Raji as a NG since that somewhat vital for a 3-4 .
I noticed Jason Babin is back in the pile. Seems like a perfect fit.

http://www.kentucky.com/884/story/685192.html

No 2009 DEAL

The following players have no contract for 2009:

DE Jason Babin

LB Rocky Boiman

S Oliver Celestin

OL Adrian Jones

S Jon McGraw

C Rudy Niswanger

S Jarrad Page

LB Pat Thomas

WR Jeff Webb

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
I like the guy. Not over Brown or Orakpo....but I like him. Don't know if he stack and shed yet. Don't know if he flip his hips and cover...but I believe he can. One of these guys has got to slip to us. Another tweener I like is similar...not for the fifteen, but I like is Conner Barwin. TE -DE tweener from Cincinnati. That there thingy is a rare bird indeed. Shear will athlete with no technique. But he can run the arc around an OT. Take a dc with some huge cajones to take the guy. He would knock down two holes for us with one roster spot. Clean chalk board ready to be taught.

BSofA04

Veteran
I have some serious issues with the Texans picking him at #15 if he's still checking in around 245 lbs. He's quick and athletic, but what good is it if he's getting crushed at the line of scrimmage? I've seen enough of Weaver/TJ/Okoye getting pushed back to the second level, why would I want to see one more? IMO, he'd be a better 3-4 OLB than a DE in a 4-3. At least he could really use his quickness and athletic ability standing up.

Aaron Maybin is my "Do Not Pick" selection of the 2009 draft.

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
The Nittany Lion expected to be selected the highest in this year’s draft is DE/LB Aaron Maybin. He put on weight prior to the combine and did not run very crisply, but he carried the weight better at his pro day. The 6-foot-4 1/8, 250-pounder ran a 4.71 and 4.64 in the 40, had an impressive 40-inch vertical jump, a sterling 10-foot, 10-inch broad jump and his arms measured in at 35 3/4 inches.
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
Last edited: