A Thought for all the Anti Vince people

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by swtbound07, Mar 11, 2006.

1. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

Just an honest question. Most of the mock drafts i viewed last year had aaron rodgers not going anywhere higher than 10, when several teams had qb needs, and he and alex smith were the only 2 legitimate first round prospects (at qb, matt jones is something else). He fell to pick 26 i believe...dont quote me on the number. My point is this: with the jets, saints, raiders, and dolphins all rumored to be addressing their qb needs through free agency, and Vince's free fall post combine, hypothetically, I could see Vince Young lasting until the 1st pick of the 2nd round, With leinart going to tennessee, and cutler going to the lions...and nobody else with a pressing need for a qb as a first round pick. All of you people who think vince young isnt worth our pick, cant play in the NFL, david carr is the truth, etc. Would you take vince young in the 2nd round? Why or why not?

2. The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides Hall of Fame

I'm going to answer this like this. If Kubiak chooses Carr to be our QB, then it's a wasted pick in round 2. With that in mind, there is no way Young will fall out of the 1st round. The talent level between Young and Rodgers is quite large.

3. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

He won't fall past the Raiders at #7.

4. swtbound07

its not a question of talent in my mind, its a question of musical chairs. Assuming teams dont double stack at the qb position, i find it hard to find a place that needs a qb 1st round bad, and 3 qb's that grade out extremely high (leinart, cutler, young)

Tennessee, detroit. both lack for qb's, mcnair is aging, and harrington is a bust

new orleans seems to be going for brees, oakland for culpepper. Shrugs...i could see it happening

5. The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides Hall of Fame

Miami would take him.

6. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Second round? Strictly for arguments sake?

I would think about it. My biggest beef with drafting Young is that we drop that #1 pick and foolish #1 salary on him, with Carr already in place. Just bad business, no how matter how you want to dice it.

I still think we can use the #2 better elsewhere, but were it feasible that Young drop to Round 2 (without some *big* bomb coming out of nowhere that many of us probably wouldn't be prepared to deal with, I am talking Marcus Vick type stupidity) ... were it feasible? I would give it a lot of thought.

7. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

just FYI... the deal with Culpepper to Oakland fell through.. he is most likely going to Miami.

*edit* I also think that young is going to be a bust.. he may eventually be able to hack it as an average NFL QB..but I dont see him ever beeing a really good one..let alone a great one. So no..I wouldnt want him in the second either.

8. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Oh how the mighty have fallen. :wow:

9. J-Storm

J-Storm Veteran

It would still depend on what we addressed in the 1st round with our pick/s. If we addressed a need or two and he did happen to be available in the 2nd round, sure he could be worth it then... only if he fell that far for my liking though :twocents:

10. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

I would without a doubt take him I guess it depends on who else falls out of the first round like Winston. But even if Kubiak has no doubt in his mind that Carr is his guy I would still take young and at least trade for a first round pick in next years draft to a team that needs a QB.

11. Spoda

Spoda Veteran

my problem would be if we somehow got vince in the 2nd round...the "fans" would be clammering for vince on every incompletion...not to mention a pick..every sack..i can hear the guy that sits next to me now..."put dat boy vince in der"... for 3 years he has said "put dat boy banks in der...carr garbage".....i wouldn't be able to take it

12. swtbound07

it was just a strict hypothetical

13. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

I can't imagine Vince falling that far, but...

To answer your question - No, we've got other positions that need addressing - Like a bonafide two-way (BLOCK & CATCH) TE, another quality DB, OL, we just cut our starting FS, etc. - Get a relatively 'polished' product prepared for the NFL system.

If he fell to the THIRD round, I'd say yes, because he's simply a phenomenal ATHLETE if nothing else and we could FIND some way to utilize his physical gifts.

:twocents: When you only show up at the combine ONLY to interview & take tests, it makes sense that you'd prepare for those TWO items. His "free-fall" was precipitated by making ONE bad choice...NOT a test answer, NOT an "everybody in a suit but me" White House appearance, but an inept agent!

"Real" agents came calling, but Vince's "loyalty" is already biting him in the rear on THIS decision.

14. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

No way Young falls out of the top 10. He is a better prospect than Steve McNair was coming out of Alcorn St.

15. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Nothing has happened to affect his football playing ability in the last several weeks - aside from working with Jerry Rhome which can't hurt - so I don't quite understand all the hysteria. Vince will be a high first rounder and his toolset puts him in the category of a new and improved version of Steve McNair.

16. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

No, for one I think Vince would still go in the 1st, right now I'm thinking to the Cardinals at #10 (if Saints sign Drew Brees and Jets sign Patrick Ramsey after renegotiating Pennington, then Titans draft Matt Leinart, the Raiders draft Jay Cutler, Mike Martz won't try to bring Vince to the Lions to run his offense, then I think Dennis Green will take Vince and sit him behind Kurt Warner for the two years left on his contract) . If Vince does somehow fall to #33, it's because every team in the league sees pretty significant deficiencies in his passing game. If a QB of his size and athleticism (that, according to many people, is supposed to be worth considering at #1 overall) falls that far, then there must be several problems with his game to the extent where none of the teams in this league see him being good enough to be worth taking that risk.

I also think we have enough other issues on our team that we need to address and at #33 we're going to be able to find a 1st round quality player at one of those positions, so I would definitely want to fill one of those. Now if Vince somehow fell to the 3rd round, I'd consider drafting him, but I don't see him falling that far.

If every team in the league passes on Vince in the 1st round, I don't see any team giving up next year's 1st round pick for him. I think the only QB the Texans will add this offseason is that veteran backup (I've heard they're bringing in Sage Rosenfels for a workout, and I don't see how he fulfills this role for them, but we'll have to see if he's the guy they decide to add).

I agree, Vince in the 2nd round will still bring all these potential problems with fans in the stadium, at least we wouldn't be using a #1 overall pick on him, but we still put Carr in a situation where the majority of the fans will be against him at his every mistake and constantly scrutinizing every success he has.

17. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

And a better prospect than McNabb or Vick.

18. bigcarlos

bigcarlos Veteran

True:superman:

19. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I'm not sure I could definitively say he's a better prospect than McNabb or Vick or even McNair, but they also came out in much deeper drafts. I also don't see Vince falling out of the top 10 (I currently have him at #10 to the Cardinals), but I see it as being much more likely with recent apparent developments in the free agency market.

20. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

If he's at 18 and Dallas passes, I will burn Jerry Jones' house down.