A Texans-Sized Laugh

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Spled, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Spled

Spled All Pro

This year we got to follow, with excitement, the David Carr saga. Let’s summarize it for a moment:

David Carr is an extremely talented quarterback who has been surrounded by some of the most god-awful non-talents in the league. He's had one receiver. He's had no healthy running back. He's had a miserable offensive line.

But somehow—somehow—he's managed to put up very solid numbers.

His QB rating was a rock-solid 82.1 in 2006. That put him at number 15 in the league, or slightly above average. He also completed a phenomenal 68 percent of his passes—the very best in the NFL. Number one. Number fricken ONE. Better than Peyton Manning. Better than Tony Romo. Numero Uno.

http://www.bleacherreport.com/nfl/nfl%11editorspicks/a-texans%11sized-laugh:-did-houston-really-just-release-david-carr?-200703241111/

2. Houston_Fanatic

Houston_Fanatic Veteran

He is no longer on my team. I wish him well wherever he lands.

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

And we couldn't secure a 5th round pick from the teams that released Aaron Brooks, or Joey Harrington. We couldn't get anything from teams starting J.P. Losman, Alex Smith, or Rex Grossman.

Maybe... Just maybe those numbers don't mean what you think they mean.

4. freedoggy77

freedoggy77 Veteran

most of those completed passes were VERY short, like 3-7 yards

5. Line_Producer

Line_Producer Party Rocker

Ah yes, and this directly contributed to our winning record. As much as I appreciate your effort to put a silver lining on David Carr, he not something that we have to candycoat anymore.

6. TopTexanFan16

TopTexanFan16 Veteran

as much as i disagree with the poster of this thread i also disagree with you. at the same time he did have very solid numbers those teams werent goinna give us crap cause they knew we would release him sooner or later. its smart business to not trade for him. just puttin it out there.

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

When the situation was 3rd & 12, and the defense was sitting on the first down marker.

8. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

Excellent point.

9. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

posted by Breezer McBreeze a baseball and hockey fan in Los Altos, California.

10. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

DC never had the best talent around him, but it's hard to miss from 3 yds. and why don't you look at his yards per attempt/yards per comp.; YAC; TD /INT ratio; fumbles per touch ratio; sacks per pass attempt(not all his fault); etc...FWIW, it's now been longer since Carr's been released than the time difference between Schaub being aquired and Carr being released. Either teams weren't THAAT interested or Carr isn't that interested. It could go either way. Comparing Carr's #'s to Manninng & Brady? That would be 4 SB's to none and Romo has playoff experience(even though it ended badly) Carr only wished he had in a LOT fewer years. That sounds as dumb as me mentioning Gaffney and Foreman in other posts.

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

If I'm Oakland, Mississippi, Washington, Miami, Kansas City or any other team looking for a true starter at the QB position, I'd much rather trade for a player, than wait for him to enter FA, especially with the goofy FA contracts we've been seeing this year.

If I'm looking for a starting QB, $5 million/year would be the price range I'm looking to spend. That's what Garcia signed for, that's what Brad Johnson signed for. David being much younger, if he were that caliber of player, it would be a steal to be able to sign him, and just pick up his contract(the Texans have already payed his signing bonus).

The only way I'd let him get to free agency, is if I don't think he's a starting QB, and don't want to pay him $5.75million in '07, and $6million in '08.

12. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

That article was dumb.

13. TexaninDenver

TexaninDenver Rookie

I wholeheartedly agree. He should go to Mississippi's NFL team.:stirpot: :marionaner: :doot:

14. MATRIX

MATRIX Veteran

I have a feling he will be headed in an unlikely direction, not far from here.

Atlanta

They need a back up, and mabe with that line and 1yr, they tire of Vick(as they shold of longago) and insert a new Carr who knows he won't bekilled every 3rd snap.

Thats my opinion,but it is logical.

15. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

I think LaDanian Tomlinson threw as many TDs as Carr did the last 10 games.

16. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Hall of Fame

They've signed Chris Redman as a backup QB.

So...

People can complain about our Bronco and Packer cast-offs but in Atlanta, Petrino is gathering up a bunch of his old Louisville players. I don't think that's going to work out as well.

But.

I could be wrong.

17. JAXwithanX

JAXwithanX Veteran

Lol. That was pretty good.

18. Spike

Spike Veteran

Man, you are right. The market is hot for Carr right now. The Texans are idiots.

19. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

much of carr's stats are inflated because of 'what plays were run in certain situations'. lots of short routes for easy completion and quick to get off..not a lot of 5-7 step drops...he had to get it out in 2 seconds. some of his stats were during garbage time when the defense was playing prevent D and let carr have easy 5 yard gains.

i think a VERY big part of why we didn't trade carr was his salary. other teams were not willing to take a risk in having Carr as their starter for $6 million a year.

20. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

much of carr's stats are inflated because of 'what plays were run in certain situations'. lots of short routes for easy completion and quick to get off..not a lot of 5-7 step drops...he had to get it out in 2 seconds. some of his stats were during garbage time when the defense was playing prevent D and let carr have easy 5 yard gains.

i think a VERY big part of why we didn't trade carr was his salary. other teams were not willing to take a risk in having Carr as their starter for $6 million a year.