Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

A tale of two halves. Again???

That was A Tale of Two Halves of michaelm...

Thank you, I'll be here all week.... but you'll probably want to ignore my posts based on recent samples... lol

aww, Shut it, DB!!!

Up yours dude, you shut it.

Whatever, the Texans are a one half football team, and you're ghey!

images

lol! You're crackin' me up, big guy! :D

And of course I'm laughing because you're big enough to turn my frown upside down! :winky:

aww, Shut it, DB!!!

Up yours dude, you shut it.

Whatever, the Texans are a one half football team, and you're ghey!

Bite me... you're not a good texans fan anyway!

That was A Tale of Two Halves of michaelm...

Thank you, I'll be here all week.... but you'll probably want to ignore my posts based on recent samples... lol

I think this an excellent example of the kind of negativity that's taken root around here. I move that michaelm be banned.

All of them :slapfight:

Last thing you want is to so totally destroy your divisional opponent, in Game 1, that he loads up for bear and bushwhacks you in Game 2.

The Ravens, IMO, were DUMB for pulling the Fake Extra Point where the holder ran into the end zone for 2 points. DUMB. That's the sort of Remember The Alamo! stuff that the Steelers will be thinking about next time around.

I'm not saying that we purposefully held off in the 2nd half vs. the Colts. I'm saying that this idea that we might have problems in future games because we didn't hang a 50+ burger on the Colts is problematic, IMO.

That no Texans player suffered a major injury in Game 1 is a major improvement over last year's Game 1 (Barwin was out for the year). That we beat the Colts without Arian Foster is a statement. That our new 34 Defense under a new d-coord after a lockout, with new players in important positions were able to look polar opposite of last year's defense is nice.

I think revenge is fun, but if we're pissed off because we didn't totally obliterate the Colts and we're fearing a repeat of 2010...then maybe we need to slow down. Whomever said he wouldn't do handstands until after Week 4, I think it was Herv?, had a good idea. Good advice for both sides of this argument.

:vincepalm: Can someone explain this to me, because I really don't understand why so many people are bitching about not scoring points in the 2nd half?

It was obvious the game plan was changed, because the game was getting out of hand...yet people want to complain that the Texans didn't score points. Sorry, don't get the criticism at all. The Colts did not stop the Texans from scoring, the Texans stopped the Texans from scoring points.

We won.

D looked really good.

O looked really good.

Nobody was injured - well almost no one. No one really important - IMO

Doesn't really matter to me that we did not score any points in the second half. - We got much more than we needed in the first.

Did we play perfect? NO. But these message boards would sure be dull if everyone played a perfect game.

:vincepalm: Can someone explain this to me, because I really don't understand why so many people are bitching about not scoring points in the 2nd half?

It was obvious the game plan was changed, because the game was getting out of hand...yet people want to complain that the Texans didn't score points. Sorry, don't get the criticism at all.

I can only speak for myself. I'm not concerned about the points as I fully expected Kubiak to give them a steady dose of our RB carosel in the second half. He always dials things back when we get the lead. He's not about rubbing the other team's face in the dirt.

I was concerned about the sloppy 2nd half play.
- No penalties in the first half, four in the second (although one of them was that B/S "defenseless WR call).
- An INT in the redzone, when there was no need to pass. It's the start of the 4th qtr. We're up 34-zip. The objective is to burn up the clock and get out with a win. So I ask you, Why pass AT ALL?? Run it up the gut 3 times and at least get the three pts. Frankly, I'm surprised the Pink Soapers aren't all over this. Cowher would have handed it to the Bus three times and called it a day. ...is there a truce I didn't hear about?
- Then there was Ben Tate's fumble. His whole job with that kind of lead is to chew up clock and protect the ball. He kinda forgot about that second part.

So it's not the points for me, it's the sloppy play and weird play calling in the red zone.

I can only speak for myself. I'm not concerned about the points as I fully expected Kubiak to give them a steady dose of our RB carosel in the second half. He always dials things back when we get the lead. He's not about rubbing the other team's face in the dirt.

I was concerned about the sloppy 2nd half play.
- No penalties in the first half, four in the second (although one of them was that B/S "defenseless WR call).
- An INT in the redzone, when there was no need to pass. It's the start of the 4th qtr. We're up 34-zip. The objective is to burn up the clock and get out with a win. So I ask you, Why pass AT ALL?? Run it up the gut 3 times and at least get the three pts. Frankly, I'm surprised the Pink Soapers aren't all over this. Cowher would have handed it to the Bus three times and called it a day. ...is there a truce I didn't hear about?
- Then there was Ben Tate's fumble. His whole job with that kind of lead is to chew up clock and protect the ball. He kinda forgot about that second part.

So it's not the points for me, it's the sloppy play and weird play calling in the red zone.

Houston mentally checked out of that game at halftime. While we can criticize them and beat them up for doing so.....it's human nature. Hell I mentally checked out of that game at halftime myself. There's whining and then there's this. Wake me up when they shut it down in a game that's still has something on the line.

Forget 35-3. How about the leads on the Colts in the past? How about the Rosencopter game? How about the big lead on the Rams in the Fitzpatrick game? There are way more recent and pertinent reasons to have concern about blowing a second half lead than 35-3.

Nonetheless, I'm not concerned about the let-up. The INTs bug me, but letting up is ... well, not OK really, but understandable. This team is good enough to nurse a 34 point lead, whereas past Texan teams may not have been. And like I said in another thread, if this team is going to pick only one half to play, I'd rather it be the first half and play from ahead.

How about that game in Dallas 5 years ago. We go into the half, leading 6-3, holding our own. The Cowboys march down the field & score a TD to start the 3rd QTr.

We then commit back to back to back turnovers & it's 24-6 by the end of the third Qtr.

i heard this lame reasoning this morning on 790 from a caller. This isnt college football where u have to earn style points to impress some panel of psuedo-intellectuals that your the best in the nation. this is PRO sports, where a little dignity is afforded your opponent. up 34 entering the 2nd half & dominating the way we had been, i knew we'd call off the dogs b/c every pro team would do so in that situation..& rightfully so. up by that much, u don't pile on just b/c u know u can. u cut the playbook in half & run the ball so as to control the clock & only pass when u need to. if u still wind up scoring that way, it usually takes lots of time off the clock & no real gamesmanship has been forfeited by either team.

the larger goal at that point for 99% of coaches is to get out of the game as fast & as healthy as possible while also providing an opportunity for your opponent to "bow out gracefully" in a back-handed kind of way.

now having said all that, you still want to see the team EXECUTE better in whatever they were running in the 2nd half, but lack of execution still doesnt equivocate to them taking their foot off the gas imo. they did what any team would've done in that situation...yes even belichick. anyone who says otherwise hasn't watched a patriots game very closely.

Trust me when peyton was up by 30 points he stilled scored points, he has done it more than once against us. All I'm saying is, last year we played one half either the first or second half, and we did it again yesterday, in my eyes this is a concern.

The defense did play a great game, the whole game.

It was obvious the game plan was changed, because the game was getting out of hand...yet people want to complain that the Texans didn't score points. Sorry, don't get the criticism at all.

The Colts did not stop the Texans from scoring, the Texans stopped the Texans from scoring points.

This is my point, the same as before.

Trust me when peyton was up by 30 points he stilled scored points, he has done it more than once against us. All I'm saying is, last year we played one half either the first or second half, and we did it again yesterday, in my eyes this is a concern.

The defense did play a great game, the whole game.

You're missing the point really. I'm not saying i didn't want us to score points as sometimes you can't help but score them if your opponent truly is that bad & they can't stop u. What i'm saying is that what i saw sunday from them in the 2nd half & the ineptness that they showed in games all last year don't quite line up really.

Someone made the point earlier in this thread about how i feel about sunday's 2nd half; it's not that we were stymied by the opposition, it was just more of human nature kicking in (up 34 entering the 2nd half....this game is over) and the mercy rule being put into effect. that's all.

OK. Last year after walking out of Reliant in week 1 I had this thought in the back of my mind. I was concerned about the yards that PM put up. Today, from the comfort of my couch, I wonder if we have another nemesis.

I'm not concerned that we didn't score in the second half, I'm concerned that we didn't execute well at all. I understand you run the ball but the two turnovers were just plain unacceptable. If it happens against a team not missing its best player that is a serious problem.

Two years ago we started strong and finished slow. Last year we started slow and finished strong and we can't do that again. This team needs to show it can play 4 quarters of football. Execute for a full game or we're in some serious trouble over the course of a season.

Mike

amistillkrazy?

Mike

Back