A snippet on Molden from PFW

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by drewmar74, Jun 27, 2008.

1. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

Could CB competition be on the horizon in Houston?

Keep an eye on the development of rookie CB Antwaun Molden throughout the summer. Molden, a third-round pick from Eastern Kentucky, is likely to be a backup, with ex-Cowboys CB Jacques Reeves settling in as the starter opposite of second-year pro Fred Bennett. However, we're hearing it will not be a surprise if Molden eventually pushes Reeves, and perhaps sooner than later. Molden has played well in his early workouts with the club, and Bennett's ascension to the starting lineup — and impressive development as a rookie — is a reflection of the Texans' ability to develop young cornerbacks. Reeves started 13 games for Dallas last season but was picked on at times.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afcsouth

Encouraging, I suppose.

2. NBT

NBT Veteran

IF Molden proves to be as good as we are hoping, and Bennet continues his improvement from a year ago, Reeves fits into coach Hokes system, and Dunta comes back from his injury, (all Big IFs right now), we could have one of the best CB secondaries in the league. And if the safeties work out well for coach Rhoades like we hope, we are going to have a helluva kickass defense this year. Bring it on!

3. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

A lot of publications have deemed Molden our best pickup this offseason, though usually not in a good fashion. Something along the lines of..."The Texans haven't done much to improve outside of acquiring Molden."

For the record, I'm willing to bet that Molden will play better than Bennet after Week 8.

4. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

could molden be worse than faggins? put him out there in nickel situations. please

5. Hook'er

Hook'er Veteran

I really don't think so!

6. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

I don't know about the Texans' secondary being one of the best in the league, but I'll be happy as long as they are no longer one of the worst, considering that they once were.

7. False Start

False Start On # 69

Amen to that . I'm getting tired of our secondary getting smoked .

8. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

If that happened, and the defense still sucked, I'd want Richard Smith fired. Bennett could easily develop into a great CB if he improves as much from year 1 to 2, as he did as a rookie. I thought with a little experience he would be pushing Dunta as best CB on the team.

9. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

was thinking the same thing. he made great leaps during the season.

on the other hand, molden looked physically freakish during what video of him i could see during OTA's

10. checo446

checo446 Veteran

If all these guys work out, I would hope the Texans would move Dunta to Free Safety and move Demps over to the strong safety. That would be solid if Dunta heals up properly...:kingkong:

11. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 IDBLDogDareU

that is a bold statement. I hope you are right. I like Fred and I think he's a solip CB and if Molden is better then that would be sweet.

12. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

What makes you say that?

13. PMSTRIKER

PMSTRIKER Rookie

14. PMSTRIKER

PMSTRIKER Rookie

15. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

:hmmm:

16. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Rookie psychic is a very fragile thing. One thing to be excited about the upside the numbers represent...quite another painting an "S" on the guy's chest and think you've got Darrell Green in a box. If he is starting the first three games, something has gone terribly wrong. He won't be going against some third caliber division one guy. He'll be banging against the best. It's not going to take him very long come September to realize this isn't Kansas any more toto...and the Ohio Valley Conference is a very long jump into the NFL.

17. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Some serious enthusiasm on this thread. I think at the very least the Texans might have one of the best young tandems in the league. Molden and Bennett could wind up being a very special duo.

18. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Fred Bennett has the same ability, actually as of right now he has more.........he's already proven he can play in this league.

To say Antwaun Moldin will be better than Fred Bennett is a bold statement.........Fred Bennett was dominant at times last season, he played like a shut down corner at times. He had me questioning if he was the best corner on the team and that was even before Dunta got hurt.

19. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I really like how Molden is able to move his hips and he's very technically sound for someone from such a small school. Bennet, on the other hand, seemed a bit stiff to me at times. I'm not saying Bennet's bad by any means, I just think Molden has a much higher ceiling.

20. BornOrange

BornOrange All Pro

Bennett was able to contribute as a rookie in part because he had a lot of experience against top competition in college. He started 34 games against teams like Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Clemson. 36 of his 48 college games were in front of crowds bigger than Reliant Stadium will hold. With all that going for him, Bennett didn't play a down at corner until the fifth game and didn't start until the ninth game.

Molden only started 12 games in his college career at Eastern Kentucky, a Division 1AA team. That is at the same level that Sam Houston, SFA, and Texas State play at. He was a backup for 3 years before finally starting his senior year. That is not the typical resume for a rookie who is going to see a lot of playing time. Usually guys who play right away were starters for at least two full seasons in college.

Don't get me wrong. Molden has all the physical tools and if Rick Smith thought he was worth a third round pick then I'm sure he will have a good future with the Texans. But anyone thinking he will make a big contribution this year might be expecting a little too much. Molden will most likely make the team but not be activated on game days for the first part of the season. When he does get activated, he will probably only play on special teams. A problem for Molden is that he will probably be comfortable enough to play corner around the middle of the season, but that is when Dunta Robinson is supposed to come back. So just when Molden might be ready to pass up Fletcher or Faggins on the depth chart, that guy will be getting cut anyway to make room for Robinson on the roster and Molden will find himself as the low man on the totem poll again.

Of course, injuries could speed up the timetable for Molden getting playing time...but I find it hard to believe that a guy who had problems beating out non-NFL caliber guys at Eastern Kentucky as a sophomore and junior will be able to beat out NFL veterans as a rookie.