Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

A sister update and thanks

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
A number of you knew that my sister Debby was hospitalized since Thanksgiving of last year, with leukemia and the complications from treatment. She was awake and aware for most of that time, a person trapped in a body that was failing her.

Last Monday, she died peacefully and with friends. I wrote this Texans-oriented blog post about her, and you can read her obit here.

I'm am writing this here to thank a ton of you who know who you are who have given the both of us support. (BTW, don't PM me right now--I haven't sorted out my PM box lately and it is an almost full mess).

Later this season, I was hoping the Blue Crew and Raging Bulls could help me with something. Some of Debby's friends had a fundraiser for her that helped paid for some of her out of pocket medical expenses, her funeral and if any is left over, goes into her daughter's college fund. I auctioned off two VIP tours of the Texans tailgate (VIP ha! Meaning, hey, I'm wandering around the tailgates anyway, why not take someone around with me?). When I know what games they are coming to, I'll let you guys know and I'd like for y'all to give them the bestest that the Texans tailgates have to offer.

And thanks TexansTalk for being the best distraction out there. When I sat with my sister when she was sleeping, I would make a beeline here first. Texan fans are good peoples.

:texflag:

GlassHalfFull

Hall of Fame
Steph, I am so sorry to hear about your sister. I had read the blogs in the past and was worried about what was going on. She was blessed to have such a loving sister. You and your family will be in my prayers.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Condolences

May GOD be with you and your family during these trying times.

I would love to contribute to any kind of fundraiser.

PM me with info as it comes available.

gary

Hall of Fame
I am very sorry to hear about your sister and will keep you and your family in my thoughts. Hang in there Steph and I'll see you soon. Texans are the best.

gwallaia

Staff member
I am very sorry to hear this Stephanie.

What a wonderful inspiration she will continue to be for so many people.

gary

Hall of Fame
I just showed this thread to mom and she said if there is anything to do to please let us know. We will help with whatever you need.

Tedc

Hardheaded
Steph,

We are very sorry to hear about your sister.

You can count on the Blue Crew for anything. Just let us know when and we will roll out the Red Carpet for any guest you bring.

Wolfiegrrl

Fan of NFC Seahawks & AFC Texans
TC,
I'm sorry to hear about your sister. Only a month ago, I lost my older brother to a motorcycle-deer accident. His death was sudden. I can only imagine what it was like to watch your sister go through her pain over the last several months. My condolences to you and your family in this time of transition.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Is there a way to make donations?

Thanks,
Wolfiegrrl

kermit

Waterboy
I am so, so sorry Stephanie. I am sure you did all you could to help.
My condolences to you and your family. We are all here for you.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
my deepest sympathies for your loss Steph. As I get older I appreciate the wonder of life in much more complex ways. I've learned to enjoy people for their uniqueness even more after losing a few loved ones myself. I kinda view good and kind people like flowers now that I'm kinda an old(er) fart now, as the bloom is always too short for the people nearest and dearest to us.

Hardcore Texan

Magnet Man
I am truly sorry to hear about your sister passing away, I had thought about her off and on since your blogged about giving blood and would send up a quick prayer when I did. As some one who has lost 2 siblings, and just recently my dad, I understand some of what you are feeling. Your sister would be proud with how you have honored her memory. Prayers and best wishes to your family.

FirstTexansFan

The Unknown Fan
Truly saddened by the loss of your sister TC. It's difficult not to think of the posters here as friends, I wish there was something I could do other than words, but sometimes that's all we have to offer. My sincerest condolences.

texasguy346

Mod Squad
I'm so very sorry for your loss TC. May God bless you & your family during such a difficult time. My family & I will keep you in our thoughts & prayers.

GNTLEWOLF

Rookie
I had a hard time reading through this. I lost my 10 year old daughter in an accident in September, and as I was reading My heart was breaking for you and your family. You will be in my prayers. I am sorry for this huge loss. God Bless you.

Showtime100

Got JJ?
I'm so sorry to hear about this TC. The good folks who posted before me summed up my feelings very well. Still, my heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

Thank you for sharing this.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I'm always lost at words no matter how many times I go thru this!

You seem to handle it all quite well. (I have to say this,OK!)

I have'nt known you quite that long, you may not even know it, but I remember that your sis was all gungho for you.

All you can ask for, right!

mancunian

Old Timer
sorry to hear about your loss Texans_Chick my thoughts are with you and your family.

My father passed away earlier this year because of lung cancer so know what you all must be going through.

SheTexan

Hall of Fame
You and your family have been in my thoughts and prayers for a very long time Steph, and I will continue to pray for all of you. GOD is good, and He will give you strength when you feel you have none.

TexanBorn51

Veteran
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. You don't know me as I often read and occassionally post on this forum. It has also been a wonderful distraction and great family of Texan fans here. Today I so happen to read the posts again and read about this. I lost my 44 year old lovely wife in 95 with breast cancer. It was a courageous fight for her 8 year battle. She's in peaceful heaven with God's reasons without pain and lots of love as your sister will be. Take care God bless.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Steph, there are never "right" words to say at a time like this. Comfort, many times, comes simply from knowing that those around you care. As already evident, our little community is letting you know just that......we care deeply.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Steph, I am extremely saddened to hear of your sister's passing. My sincere condolences. I know she is now safe in heaven and will rest comfortably forever in God's arms. May he bring you peace and comfort in this very trying time. - Mark

Dr2bKay

Rookie
Steph, I am so sadden to hear this news. I am so used to seeing your smiling face...I hope that you and your family find some joy and peace.

drewmar74

disgruntled
Stephanie-

I read the blog entry a few minutes ago and I was moved. I'm sorry for your loss and, having buried a child, I can relate to some degree.

The pain will ease and you, I'm sure, will be able to look back on the loved and lost with a fondness that comes when you know that they had one heck of an impact in the time that they had and, more importantly, that you'll get to see them again.

So hang in there, Steph, and keep your chin up. It sounds like your sis was a fighter and I'm willing to be that she wouldn't you to stay down long. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers on this end.

God bless,

Andrew

StarStruck

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I am sorry to hear the news about your sister. My prayers are for comfort to you and your family during your time of sorrow.

jerek

Pro Hobbyist
So sorry to hear of your loss ... I hope if there is any comfort to be had from such an experience, it is that she is now at peace and with her creator :)

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
Steph, I'm so sorry to hear about Debby. My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to you and your entire family. May Debby rest in peace and be in a better place! Peace be with you and yours!!

PS. I'm sure Blue Crew would be willing to help out in any way needed. ;)

TEXANS84

Staff member
Steph-
My condolences for you and your family. You will be in our prayers in these tough times.

Joe Texan

Inducted 04
Stephanie,

I am so sorry to hear of Your Sister passing. I assure you the Blue Crew will do anything you need us to and More. We will definitely make the tailgate in Honor of Debby So just let us know what else you need. We will make your guests VIP's and let them know how we love you and your family. If you need anything and I mean anything Just give me a buzz 713-494-0597. I will gladly Help you with anything you need. I really hope we have some games with the roof open so your sister can see the game.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
Thank you. This is a mixed time for my family as we are very happy to be welcoming my sister's daughter into our home permanently. (Or as she put it when we told her the news a month ago, "You mean a permanent home?? Except for college!") She has been finishing up the school year in San Antonio with my parents and will be in town in time to meet her next year's teacher and classmates.

She is the same age as my son and has basically grown up in our house. She's a big time Texan fan--I've taken her to Texans practices in past summers.

You guys are the best. I'll let you know when I schedule the VIP tours. :texflag:

Specnatz

Hall of Fame
My apologies for not seeing this sooner.

Steph, my heart and thoughts go out to you in this time of sorrow.

Celebrate her life as it was and all she has given. The inspirations she has forged with her strength and will power will live on forever in you and all those that Debbie has touched.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
Steph,

I visited Debutaunt.com to see if your family had set up any sort of trust or fund in Deb's name. Have y'all and if so, where can I make a donation??

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
Steph,

I visited Debutaunt.com to see if your family had set up any sort of trust or fund in Deb's name. Have y'all and if so, where can I make a donation??

A family friend set up a college fund for Zoe. It was the thing that made her happiest in her last days. People can make PayPal contribution on her blog (the donation link is still good) or can send a contribution this way:

The Financial Advisory Group, Inc.; c/o David Jenkins; 5599 San Felipe, Suite 900; Houston, TX 77056. Please make out the checks to "College America" and in the memo field write "FBO: Zoe Costello."

When she knew she was going to die, Debby actually dictated a final blog post for me to post for her to give her blog some closure. It was hard for her because she couldn't write or talk at the end, so I had to read her lips and then read back what I wrote down. This morning, I finally typed up all the notes from the various times I sat with her. I can't say it was the easiest thing to do. I'm fixing to put it on her blog.

I haven't accessed her blog before, so I am hoping I don't crash the danged thing. Fortunately, I know the person who put her blog online and hosts it, so hopefully, I won't screw it up. It uses Moveable Type which is the same blog software as the Chronicle uses so at least I have that familiarity.

Here's a strange story. I use CNN.com as my home page mostly out of habit. The day Debby died, when I first went online, the front page article was all about what to do with your online life when you die--passwords, etc. Twilight zone. At least Deb made some preparations like that, but it has to be very hard when someone dies suddenly.

I don't pull the lawyer card unless I really have to, but I had to threaten to sue Blockbuster for them to stop charging my sister's account while she stuck in the ICU, not being able to watch videos any more. Most things have been pretty straightforward to handle, but Blockbuster was a bunch of jerks. They kept sending videos to my poor parents (who my sister was living with the last couple of years), and it upset them each time they arrived in the mail and we were having the hardest time stopping them.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
A family friend set up a college fund for Zoe. It was the thing that made her happiest in her last days. People can make PayPal contribution on her blog (the donation link is still good) or can send a contribution this way:

The Financial Advisory Group, Inc.; c/o David Jenkins; 5599 San Felipe, Suite 900; Houston, TX 77056. Please make out the checks to "College America" and in the memo field write "FBO: Zoe Costello."

When she knew she was going to die, Debby actually dictated a final blog post for me to post for her to give her blog some closure. It was hard for her because she couldn't write or talk at the end, so I had to read her lips and then read back what I wrote down. This morning, I finally typed up all the notes from the various times I sat with her. I can't say it was the easiest thing to do. I'm fixing to put it on her blog.

I haven't accessed her blog before, so I am hoping I don't crash the danged thing. Fortunately, I know the person who put her blog online and hosts it, so hopefully, I won't screw it up. It uses Moveable Type which is the same blog software as the Chronicle uses so at least I have that familiarity.

Here's a strange story. I use CNN.com as my home page mostly out of habit. The day Debby died, when I first went online, the front page article was all about what to do with your online life when you die--passwords, etc. Twilight zone. At least Deb made some preparations like that, but it has to be very hard when someone dies suddenly.

I don't pull the lawyer card unless I really have to, but I had to threaten to sue Blockbuster for them to stop charging my sister's account while she stuck in the ICU, not being able to watch videos any more. Most things have been pretty straightforward to handle, but Blockbuster was a bunch of jerks. They kept sending videos to my poor parents (who my sister was living with the last couple of years), and it upset them each time they arrived in the mail and we were having the hardest time stopping them.
I just donated. Not a big gift, but maybe it will buy Zoe a text book or two.

Let us know when you complete the Debby's final blog. Good luck in not screwing it up! J/K. You'll do just fine.

And finally, I am boycotting Blockbuster on Deb's (you and your folk's) behalf. Not that ~$25.00 a month means anything to them, but still.

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
I just donated. Not a big gift, but maybe it will buy Zoe a text book or two.

Let us know when you complete the Debby's final blog. Good luck in not screwing it up! J/K. You'll do just fine.

And finally, I am boycotting Blockbuster on Deb's (you and your folk's) behalf. Not that ~$25.00 a month means anything to them, but still.
As a tribute to the person or her family , I'll learn about them . I gotta tell you Bill , TC's sister could make you blush . I read about the Egyptian Doctor and cracked up . When Texans_Chic is ready to laugh ... I'll go on .

badboy

Hall of Fame
A number of you knew that my sister Debby was hospitalized since Thanksgiving of last year, with leukemia and the complications from treatment. She was awake and aware for most of that time, a person trapped in a body that was failing her.

Last Monday, she died peacefully and with friends. I wrote this Texans-oriented blog post about her, and you can read her obit here.

I'm am writing this here to thank a ton of you who know who you are who have given the both of us support. (BTW, don't PM me right now--I haven't sorted out my PM box lately and it is an almost full mess).

Later this season, I was hoping the Blue Crew and Raging Bulls could help me with something. Some of Debby's friends had a fundraiser for her that helped paid for some of her out of pocket medical expenses, her funeral and if any is left over, goes into her daughter's college fund. I auctioned off two VIP tours of the Texans tailgate (VIP ha! Meaning, hey, I'm wandering around the tailgates anyway, why not take someone around with me?). When I know what games they are coming to, I'll let you guys know and I'd like for y'all to give them the bestest that the Texans tailgates have to offer.

And thanks TexansTalk for being the best distraction out there. When I sat with my sister when she was sleeping, I would make a beeline here first. Texan fans are good peoples.

Steph, I just found this thread as I usually do not go in this section. You might be interested to know that your sister may be eligible for deceased Medicaid Insurance benefits that could pay hospital and doctor bills. Income to her home and resources are reviewed but not all are counted. Per your request I am not sending you pm but email me if I can assist. I pray God's love and blessings on you and your family.