A Scout's Take on the Texans

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by m5kwatts, Dec 3, 2009.

1. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

2. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Just about everywhere I've looked or listened to where analysts or reporters from other cities have talked about the Texans they've all basically said this exact same thing and blamed the Texans failures on coaching.

3. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

The team is a reflection of our powder puff owner, who I have the deepest gratitude for bringing an NFL franchise to Houston, btw. But he's still a powder puff until he proves otherwise. 31 NFL owners agree. ;)

4. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I'm more apt to listen to a scout than some reporter or radio host though so this was more of a wake up call for me because I always denied it but I can't anymore. This team lacks the toughness to close out games. We continue to think that just because we dominate a 1st 2nd or 3rd quarter that its over. This is the reason why I think the season is over and we need a new head coach that can install a close out the game attitude. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if we jumped out on Jacksonville this weekend and so on and we see this same pattern.

5. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

Interesting stuff.

They start talking about the Texans at 5:05.

6. spurstexanstros

spurstexanstros Texans Rising

You sound like you have lost faith.
    dont let the frustration get to you my friend.....drink some battle red koolaid.

granted I understand the frustration...but take a drink or two or a hundred and get back to the good ole fashioned DB.

7. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

yeah, you're right, bro'. Unfortunately, it's the result of high expectations being deflated at this point.

But I'm still with ya', rooting every Sunday and hoping that the football gods bestow a miraculous and unprecedented 5 game win streak on us along with the losses we need from other teams to squeak into the playoffs!

How's that for some battle red koolaide for ya'! :redtowel: GO TEXANS!!

8. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

I know Michael Lombardi has said this repeatedly over the last year, but everytime someone mentions his name we spend most of thread hearing how he is not a credible source. the perception that the Texans are soft, especially mentally is not new.

9. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

What they call "mental softness", I call "youth". None of the high impact players on this team, other than Antonio Smith, have any real experience winning in the NFL. So, it's taking a little more time than we'd like. On the bright side, with the wealth of young talent in place, time is something this organization may have. TexanChick has been ahead of this issue all season... even her current article about Schaub sheds light on it as well. Other than A. Rodgers, none of the top throwing QBs have fewer starts than he does. Interestingly, Rodgers has also taken a lot of heat for losing games even when his numbers are good.

10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This team is a reflection of Bob McNair.

11. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

I don't think that old, bald and ugly is the way I would describe the Texans. :thinking:

12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I would describe them as vanilla, unwilling to take risks and a corporate team.

How would you describe them?

13. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Peaches and cream.

14. axman40

axman40 Hall of Fame

15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Apt discription

16. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

I like all the lowered expectations and excuses this time of year. :wheel:

17. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

Young, mistake prone, and unmotivated.

I predicted 7-9 in the offseason, so I guess I'm ahead of the trend. :breakdance:

18. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

snakebit & spine-less :pop:

19. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

Seems to me that the road to mental toughness starts in training camp with tackling and hitting drills.

Have any of you guys that have been to TC sessions actually seen these drills?

20. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Yeah, but young players who do not win can become old players that do not win. I mean how many times can we point to the old Saints who had lots of youthful teams that went absolutely nowhere. How about the pre/post Barry Sanders Detroit Lions. We have players on our team that have expierenced winning at College and below levels. Just to name a few: Cush(USC), AJ(Miami), Meco(Bama), Caldwell(Bama), Studdard(Texas), Winston (Miami), etc. They have experienced winning before. All of these guys (and lots of others on the team) came from schools that routinely won more games than they lost. Many of them came from schools that competed for division or Natl Championships each year. They may not have won at the NFL level, but they know what winning is like.