A really chilling thought...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by The Pencil Neck, Jul 25, 2006.

1. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I was reading the Who Has More to Prove thread and read the following:

Two words: Brian Billick.

We're all so happy (at least, I am) about Kubiak, an offensive guru, coming in here and how he's going to breathe life into an offense that looked like a bunch of zombies last year. But Brian Billick was brought into Baltimore for the same basic reason. He's supposed to be an offensive genius, a bigger offensive genius than Kubiak, and he hasn't been able to do squat for that offense in all these years. Granted, he won an SB but he's had years to work with different QB's and make his high powered system work... and... nada.

I also remember how Belichik was brought into Cleveland and sucked wind. Hugh Campbell was supposed to be an offensive genius and the old Oiler fans will remember how that turned out; at least we got Moon out of that deal.

What do y'all think the odds are that Kubiak ends up being a "bust"?

2. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Low. His experience winning alone will not allow it.

nflnutswife likes this.
  3. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Well, just about all coaches "end up" being fired, i.e. busts. The odds of it being in 4 years or less? I'd say low, judging by attitude and leadership as much as track record.

4. afcman

afcman Veteran

I'm not really worried about Kubiak. I've just lost faith in Carr. I really hope things can get turned around though.

5. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

It is really hard to predict if Kubiak will be a bust or not.

Sure he has worked at two great organizations, but he wasn't the top dog. Look at many assistant coaches that couldn't cut it at the head coach level. Turner and Wandestat come to mind quickly.

One thing seems certain from what he has said, if a player doesn't perform, that player will be replaced quickly. Look for big changes if it is a rough year.

For a rookie head coach, his first six games are brutal. If he can get through the first six games at .500, I would say that is a great indication of good things to come in the next few years.

6. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Based on his background and experence the odds are with him suceeding. However, anyone and anything can be overcome by circumstances and just bad luck.

7. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Everybody sits and talks about how a winning QB has to have "IT", that certain something that makes them a winner and a leader.

I believe the same goes for head coaches. You have brilliant assistants that fail all the time (you might as well add Capers to that list) and I believe its because of their charisma. You have to be a charismatic person that can unite and motivate players. You can speak X's and O's all day, any assistant in this league can speak it with the best of them, but the things that set a great assistant apart from a head coach is his ability to lead. Kubiak has already shown me he has that quality, he says all the right things and seems very approachable and down to earth. You can already see the difference in the players' attitudes.

Also another thing that I think that makes a head coach successful, is to have successful coaches underneath him and not just a whole bunch of "yes men", (Capers).

Kubiak already seems like he's put together a good staff, he kept the assistants that were doing their job, Jon Hoke, Joe Marciano, and Chick Harris and brought along coaches that helped him be successful, people he trusts.

The biggest addition to our staff however was Sherman, who Kubiak really went after and landed.

Kubiak should have been given a shot at head coaching eight years ago (after the SB victories), he is alot more seasoned and experienced them most coaches that get a shot, his résumé is quite impressive.

8. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Two words: Super Bowl

If Kubiak can mirror Billick, then bring it. I can't wait for our first Super Bowl win in 2007.

9. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Billick went to the Super Bowl in a large way because of Marv Lewis. Richard Smith is no Marv.

10. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

It wasn't just Marv, but the players they had on that defense, that defense was stacked with veteren leadership and very exciting young defensive stars

11. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

Odds are that he fails. But that doesn't really mean much I suppose.

We have 10 new head coaches this season. Several of them former assistants.

By the numbers, more fail then succed just purely because there are more teams that fail to make the playoffs then make it.

So in the end the odds are against every single assistant coach coming into a head coach job ( not just Kubiak ).

hollywood_texan likes this.
  12. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

I thought that kind of went without saying, but ok.

13. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Being a head coach isn't for everyone. Dom Capers (yes I hate bringing him up but oh well) was a pretty good D-Coordinator but when he was put in charge of a whole team he sucked it up twice, so who knows at this point. Everything we've been hearing thusfar sounds very positive, so I firmly believe that Kubiak will be successful for us, but only time will tell.

14. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

I would say that just about all assistants that end up head coaches had plenty of experience winning or they wouldn't be getting the head coach jobs.

How many assistants do you know of that were hired as head coaches didn't experience winning to some level?

15. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

Don't worry about Kubiak. I know it's going to be weird but he's going to get us a lot of wins, something we're not used to. I can't wait :redtowel:

16. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

Brian Billick didn't become a HC with as much winning experience as Kubiak did. He was the OC of the Vikings team that blew the NFC championship game after going 15-1. His first SB appearance was when he was a HC with Baltimore while Kubes has been to multiple at different levels. I don't think you can necessarily compare the two.

As for Baltimore's inability to improve their offense, I think a big part is trying to find that QB that works. They've had a good running game. They've had good line play. They just didn't get anything from the QB. That might change with McNair in town.

Belichek wasn't given a chance in Cleveland and wasn't given personnel to win with. He's done a fair job in New England.

17. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I like the way he speaks the truth. He doesn't hold much back at all and I like it. Capers interviews were always "execute" this "execute" that. Whatever he'd say would never happen. I think Kubs will be awesome compared to Capers, and the season hasn't even started yet.:bananasplit:

18. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Rookie

I think that we will get at least four or five years out of him. In my book that's not a bust even if there isn't SB in that period.

I think we are taking the same head coach risk that Cleveland and Cinci have taken in the past few years. They also hired an experienced coordinator from a successful program.

19. South Texan

South Texan Veteran

I think an assistant getting the head coaching job is a lot like a college player moving up to the Pros. You take a look at what he has done at a lower level, if he looks like a fit you go for it.

At a new level, with all the added pressure, some flourish, some fold.

Ask the question again in 2 years.

20. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Still, I would consider 15-1 winning, no matter what happened in the playoffs. Also, I seem to remember that Vikings defense couldn't stop the Giants.