A quote most have been waiting for from Mario

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by edo783, Sep 27, 2006.

1. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Not sure if this has been posted, but Mario was interviewed today and while all pro players pretty much say the right things, this is a statement that I personally have been wanting to see:

(on how it seems like he is doing more hand fighting than someone his size needs) “I feel like I’m 295 lbs so I have to be more violent. That is the number one thing my coaches tell me about is I have to be more violent and not really patty-cake with anybody. Just go hit them in the mouth and make a move after that.”

2. South Texan

South Texan Veteran

Let's hope he takes this to heart and does it. BTW, we aren't responsible for the opposition's dental bills are we? :stirpot:

3. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

I for one would love to see this guy throw a bigger punch, not lay his hands on someone and push but PUNCH his guy in the chest and slide that sucker up into his throat every now and again.

This guy can play he needs someone to talk about his mom or he needs someone to step on his infected toe to get MAD!!!!!!!!!

He needs to take a class in Peek 101- How to get flippin ticked.

4. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

Wow, imagine Mario's physical tool set with Peek's motor/attitude. I like Peek, even in the Texans' programs he looks like he's ready to jump up and sack the photographer.

5. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

We really need Peek back in like Hulk said!

This team is in NEED of someone with fire to yell on the sidelines ala Michael Strayhorn and Jeremy Shockey of the Giants

(not going as far as Shockey did by pointing fingers but people to get MAD about this on the sidelines DURING the game).

6. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

isnt he running for governor?

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

There have been about 5 times thru pre-season and the 1st 3 games when Mario looked like he forgot about thinking and was just big--on those plays he has tossed people like they were nothing. Overall he has been unimpressive so far but IF or more hopefully when he learns to use what he has he can justify the #1 pick. Dude will never be Freeney or Kearse--he needs to learn to be Williams. A little Peek injection would be a good thing.

8. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

^
    ^
    ^LOL

9. jmlockett

jmlockett Rookie

:soldier:
    Ok I volunteer to go and bad mouth his momma thru a bull horn wearing the jearsey and helmet of the teams quarterback we're playing against. I will need a good driver. Someone that will get me the hell out of their if he should want to get violent with me.

10. Nbkan

Nbkan Rookie

Hehe...I was thinking about Henry Winkler talking to Sandler in The Waterboy, visualize and attack. What would Mario visualize...the press saying he shouldn't have been the number 1 pick. If that doesn't get him fired up I don't know what will. Just my :twocents:.

11. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

ill admit i had one hell of a laugh

lol

Strayhorn, lol

12. dantem

dantem Veteran

Absolutely, but without the vomiting between each play from the adrenalin.

13. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I wish he would do it instead of talk about it. Talk is cheap

Bamaborn-Texasbred likes this.
  14. Stros5Texans80

Stros5Texans80 Veteran

Probably Visualize ESPN people saying what a bad pick he was at Number 1.

"Mario Williams sets Sack Record thanks to Visualization"

:yahoo: I can see it now. :ok:

15. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

fwiw, the phrase "I want upper body violence" came out of Coach Karm's mouth every five minutes as I watched him put the DLs (including Mario) through their paces in training camp. That was in late July.

I'm sure Karm would be happy to read that Mario quote. It proves the student was listening to the teacher at some point in the last two months.

Next lesson: Just do it.

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

On the play where #76 got called for a hold against him, he was pretty awesome. He started going for the outside, and when #76 tried to step out in front of him, Mario exploded into his chest. #76 backs up & Resets, Mario punches him high in the chest, sending him back again...... Mario rushes him, & reaches for Brunnel, & that's when #76 started grapling him.

Babin was Bullrushing #69(??) at the same time, who also got called for holding.

17. Texan Asylum

Texan Asylum Christian

Nice!

18. real

real Guest

Im sorry...But I don't understand where the jubilation is in this quote...I heard him say this on the radio yesterday and honestly it made me uneasy...What do you mean "not really patty-cake..." Why were you doing that to begin with Mario??? I have to be more violent??? You are a professional football player....Number one overall pick at DE....And you have to be told to be more violent??? Oh is that all it took...Now the problem will be solved....Mario needs more work than to just be told..."be more violent"....I really hope our d-line coach steps up, because from what I see our defense is looking like a perennial weakness...

19. dantem

dantem Veteran

If you watch the Colts game (Mario's best effort to date) He was blatantly held many times without a penalty being called. Had it not been for those holds he would have probably gotten at least 2 sacks as they were from Mannings blind side on those plays.

Butttttt..... That happens constantly in the NFL, so I guess you can't really use that as an excuse. I thought the comment he made about how hard it was to get a sack in the NFL was interesting. It kinda shows where he's at as a rookie. Figuring out that the NFL is much bigger and faster than college. He has obviously been playing with a lot of hesitation, He's not committing his whole body to the play. I really believe once it sinks in that he has the ability to dominate his blocker(s) He will. I also think that once he gets his first sack his confidence level will go way up, and he will be a force for the team.

TexansSeminole likes this.
  20. real

real Guest

Sounds good...